Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Cooper before the start of new league year

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Seems every other team gets decent draft picks when they let stars go but we come up empty
Jerry is a "one player away" GM. You don't get rid of players before their value diminishes if you think that one player is key to getting to a Super Bowl.

Mannix

Reaction score
Jerry is a "one player away" GM. You don't get rid of players before their value diminishes if you think that one player is key to getting to a Super Bowl.

Honestly not sure why we are so upset over this one issue....we aren't reaching any Super Bowl with or without Cooper. With or without Booger and Chuckles is another story.

nobody

Reaction score
Good! That was a no brainer. When you start hearing the rumors
(which was a good month ago), they're usually true.
Welcome to #1 Lamb!

Yet another blow to the haters lol. :muttley: @Kwmike22

That's assuming Lamb is ready for #1. Really all you have to do is look at Dak's QBR when Cooper plays as opposed to when Cooper doesn't play. That's not saying that Dak is bad. It's saying the effect Cooper has on the passing game. That's a big gamble at this point because Lamb hasn't shown the ability to affect the field of play like Cooper has so far.

ESisback

Reaction score
That's assuming Lamb is ready for #1. Really all you have to do is look at Dak's QBR when Cooper plays as opposed to when Cooper doesn't play. That's not saying that Dak is bad. It's saying the effect Cooper has on the passing game. That's a big gamble at this point because Lamb hasn't shown the ability to affect the field of play like Cooper has so far.
Lamb HAS had more than his fair share of drops…

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think it is just jerry got mad at him, probably blames amari for the end of the season going badly, so he was determined
to not resign him.
I hope personally hope amari does wind up on a nfce team, that would make things more interesting.

Amari may have been overpaid, but we have a few more of those lol.
At least he preformed. And with Dak at qb that isnt easy.

But jones boys know all and have decided, so here we go!:rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score

Except he hasn't. This is a myth that keeps on chugging I guess. But if you look at his drop numbers and drop percentage, it's really not that out of line with other "peer" WRs.

Yes, the drops are frustrating and a few seemed to happen at bad times but people act like he's dropped passes at a significantly higher rate than similarly ranked WRs and that's just not true.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Lamb and Gallup , also wilson , turner are all # 2's
Dallas wont have a # 1 in 22 unless they draft or trade for one.

My guess is the jones boys think Lamb is now their # 1, and he will get the targets, regardless of how that works , like zeke getting most of the carries
regardless of how that is working.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It's not about "getting better". This is what happens when you make bad decisions. He shouldn't have been given the contract he was signed to and his production does not justify his contract. Players on rookie contracts are blowing him out of the water. Other top WRs are blowing him out of the water.

If Dallas were to keep him solely for the sake of not getting any worse, they'd be absolutely no better than the team that didn't cut it and they'd have to sacrifice other roster spots to make it happen.

Disagree. Cooper is an elite top receiver. His production is based off 13 games this year and he’ll go somewhere else and be great. Sacrifice who? Gallup? Schultz?

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's 2 number 1 WR Dak has basically helped exit.

Not a good look is it

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Cooper by no metric is a #1 WR. The fact that anyone would advocate paying that dude 20 m per year is ridiculous.

ESisback

Reaction score

My guess is the jones boys think Lamb is now their # 1, and he will get the targets, regardless of how that works , like zeke getting most of the carries
My guess is Lamb, Gallup, Wilson, Turner and a draft pick or FA makes for a better group collectively than most teams.

People will portend doom and gloom no matter what they do, and I refuse to waste too much time stressing over possibilities beyond my control.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Except he hasn't. This is a myth that keeps on chugging I guess. But if you look at his drop numbers and drop percentage, it's really not that out of line with other "peer" WRs.

Yes, the drops are frustrating and a few seemed to happen at bad times but people act like he's dropped passes at a significantly higher rate than similarly ranked WRs and that's just not true.
Ok, but at least it SEEMS like he dropped several that cost us a few games.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Lamb is going into his 3rd year. He’s much better on the outside than playing slot. He will see an improvement this year. I’d rather sign Gallup on a 1 year prove it deal then long term, rumor is he wants 16 a year lol.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

At this point Cooper is no more of a number one receiver than Lamb. Dallas is going to have a hard time trading him because Coop is not a $20 million a year receiver. So why not save cap space while getting the same production?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
My guess is Lamb, Gallup, Wilson, Turner and a draft pick or FA makes for a better group collectively than most teams.

People will portend doom and gloom no matter what they do, and I refuse to waste too much time stressing over possibilities beyond my control.

My guess at the receiving corps this year is Lamb, Gallup, Fehoku (who will take on Noah Brown's role), a veteran free agent (Cedrick Wilson or somebody from another team), and a draft pick.