Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meanwhile, Cousins teams have never won anything.

Maybe a cautionary tale for both the Cowboys and Prescott?

If Prescott is as fixated on money, maybe it's time for this team to consider their alternatives and allow Prescott to maximize his finances elsewhere in the future?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Prescott is as fixated on money, maybe it's time for this team to consider their alternatives and allow Prescott to maximize his finances elsewhere in the future?

Yeah, very possible. As I just posted, he best get to a SB in the next 2 years if on the tag and wants a long term deal. Prove he is truly worth it.
Overall I like Dak, but not going to be butt hurt one way or the other.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, very possible. As I just posted, he best get to a SB in the next 2 years if on the tag and wants a long term deal. Prove he is truly worth it.
Overall I like Dak, but not going to be butt hurt one way or the other.

He's got to decide what's most important to him. Being the Cowboys quarterback, or making every cent he can in his playing contract.

He's not getting both.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Unless Dak is deathly afraid of injury, it always made sense financially to play on the tag and let the ever-rising QB market do its thing.

Kirk Cousins was a good QB in Washington and he's been a good QB in Minnesota. But the Commanders went 7-9 in 2017 with Cousins and went 7-9 in 2018 starting four different QBs. Life will go on just fine without Dak if the Cowboys decided he's not worth it, and if it doesn't... then oh no, I guess they might go 6-10 instead of 8-8.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Jerry's desperation won't allow for that happen.

I think the issue here is I honestly don't believe the Cowboys will do better than Dak and I don't think Dak will do better than Jerry. I think they belong with each other. Maybe I underestimate the Cowboys ability to find quarterbacks or maybe I underestimate the market for Dak.

In regards to Cousins....they haven't won anything but I don't know if I put that on him. I don't put last season on him. I think Cousins is criminally underrated. Not top 5 or anything but he belongs in that top 10 conversation. He doesn't have the ESPN highlights to back him up which is why people underrate him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's got to decide what's most important to him. Being the Cowboys quarterback, or making every cent he can in his playing contract.

He's not getting both.
Based on what Lawrence, Jaylon and Zeke got? Hard to imagine he doesn't get both if he's retained. Especially if they are just stuck on 1 year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He will have to get us to the playoffs this year. If we have another 8-8 season then they can try to blame the new staff and system.

But I think this could be another 2016 season. If we change the style of play then opposing teams won’t have film to watch for a while. Could give us a edge with the talent we have. Daks contract could hinge on how our Defense plays. If they can contribute and get off the field and not give up a lot of points then we can win some games. ST will be better.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Unless Dak is deathly afraid of injury, it always made sense financially to play on the tag and let the ever-rising QB market do its thing.

Kirk Cousins was a good QB in Washington and he's been a good QB in Minnesota. But the Commanders went 7-9 in 2017 with Cousins and went 7-9 in 2018 starting four different QBs. Life will go on just fine without Dak if the Cowboys decided he's not worth it, and if it doesn't... then oh no, I guess they might go 6-10 instead of 8-8.
I know athletes don’t think of that but if he he does get a career ending injury than he screwed himself and that is on him. Hopefully that won’t happen. I just want something fair for both sides.

Reaction score
I know athletes don’t think of that but if he he does get a career ending injury than he screwed himself and that is on him. Hopefully that won’t happen. I just want something fair for both sides.
Like most higher end players, he has insurance in case of injury. I heard it was $50M, but I may be wrong about that. Plus his $31M this year is guaranteed.

He would lose a ton of money, but even $81M is still multi-generational wealth even if he never stepped onto a football field again

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's desperation won't allow for that happen.

I think the issue here is I honestly don't believe the Cowboys will do better than Dak and I don't think Dak will do better than Jerry. I think they belong with each other. Maybe I underestimate the Cowboys ability to find quarterbacks or maybe I underestimate the market for Dak.

Dak certainly won't do better than his situation with the Cowboys - on and off the field. But yeah, I agree that I don't have a huge amount if faith in the Cowboys track record for quarterback choices. Then again, that was pre-McCarthy as well and that's a specialty of his.

In regards to Cousins....they haven't won anything but I don't know if I put that on him. I don't put last season on him. I think Cousins is criminally underrated. Not top 5 or anything but he belongs in that top 10 conversation. He doesn't have the ESPN highlights to back him up which is why people underrate him.

He's 'underrated' because he underperforms when it matters most. There are tons of statistical data that show that.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Like most higher end players, he has insurance in case of injury. I heard it was $50M, but I may be wrong about that. Plus his $31M this year is guaranteed.

He would lose a ton of money, but even $81M is still multi-generational wealth even if he never stepped onto a football field again
Well then he will not worry about injury with his insurance policy. Didn’t know he had one and it’s smart move on his part.