Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

shabazz

Reaction score
I still think he was stupid not to take the contract the Boys had on the table. The 30mil this year should even up his lower salary the previous years.

He over estimated his worth and if he was on a crap team he would never have been offered this contract;

Hes the Buster Douglas of Football except for the part about actually winning something significant.........

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not understanding your stance. So you are giving Keenum the credit for winning 13 games? But then giving Zimmer the credit for the 13 wins?

I'm not giving Kirk Cousins credit for winning less as the Vikings starting quarterback. You're trying to blame a coach who has actually won in a lame effort to excuse Cousins for not winning.

Wade Phillips gave us 13 wins in 2007.....never repeated again.

More than Kirk Cousins ever has then?

Just because Keenum was apart of the ride doesn't mean he was a better quarterback. Vikings defense was GREAT that year they went to the NFC Championship. Top 3 in the league.

And they weren't great with Cousins? More attempted excuses for some reason I see.

And I never said they "won" anything since. But they went into New Orleans and stole that game from the Saints last year. That as an impressive win.

Made possible by a running game and great defense that you're trying to minimize. Not because Cousins threw for 242 and 1 TD.

I think you're not understanding my argument. I'm not saying he's top 5. But he's in the same class as guys like Wentz, Dak, Goff, etc. to me.

Then I disagree with your argument. Cousins has never come close to winning anything. And he's clearly not a top 10 quarterback.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean they were not going to beat the 49ers but otherwise they seemingly did fine last year at winning (the 49ers also paying a QB top dollar by the way). They have had a few issues but none of those are really related to actually being in a position to win so ya the numbers say they are winning just fine.

13 wins before Cousins, 8 and 10 wins with him. You tell me which way the arrow on that wins graph is pointing?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cousins is a slightly better Case Keenum. Prolly around the 15th best QB or so.

Cousins is Brad Johnson. He's a nice QB, as long as you don't have to pay him too much. He's the bus driver type for when you have a great D and running game.

Cousins isn't a lot different than Alex Smith. SF finally dumped him because even w/ their great D and running game, he simply was not going to get them over the hump. In all likelihood, Cousins will be the same.

QB's of this caliber are generally good enough, but once again, only if you don't have to pay them a ton. I'd be happy w/ Cousins as our signal caller, but only if we can get him for around 20 mil or so.

I wouldn't want him. Because you know who and what he is. A quarterback that you can't win big games with. His ceiling is clear and I would want better, especially at that ridiculous salary.

I can think of 20 quarterbacks I'd want before Cousins, Keenum being one of them.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He's got to decide what's most important to him. Being the Cowboys quarterback, or making every cent he can in his playing contract.

He's not getting both.
That's right. I have a feeling they want things both ways with a lot of things.

I wonder how much of the hangup is Prescott himself, or the agent trying to make a name for himself with future clients.

You're the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, perfect for endorsement deals, but not if you fall out of good graces with fans because you are trying to squeeze the team for every last dime.

One second he wants to bet on himself, but at the same time is hamstringing the team as far as ability to provide a supporting cast.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not giving Kirk Cousins credit for winning less as the Vikings starting quarterback. You're trying to blame a coach who has actually won in a lame effort to excuse Cousins for not winning.

More than Kirk Cousins ever has then?

And they weren't great with Cousins? More attempted excuses for some reason I see.

Made possible by a running game and great defense that you're trying to minimize. Not because Cousins threw for 242 and 1 TD.

Then I disagree with your argument. Cousins has never come close to winning anything. And he's clearly not a top 10 quarterback.

Did you watch the New Orleans game or did you just straight to the box score? On the last drive to end the game in OT? That had nothing to do with the running game that as on his arm. We'll just agree to disagree. It is what it is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn't want him. Because you know who and what he is. A quarterback that you can't win big games with. His ceiling is clear and I would want better, especially at that ridiculous salary.

I can think of 20 quarterbacks I'd want before Cousins, Keenum being one of them.
20 quarterbacks better than Cousins....Jesus..........Case Keenum? He just lit it up in Washington...the same place where Cousins "sucked" at lol.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I have a feeling Prescott is being taken for a ride.

If I'm him I'm not all that happy with my agent.

I hired him/them to get a deal done with Dallas, not to live through a constant contract dispute and have it hanging over everyone's head and having to talk about it constantly, etc.

This is all about the agent, not about Prescott trying to argue over a couple million here and there.

erod

Reaction score
I think Cousins (correctly) just didn't like the direction the Skins were going and there were some bad feelings between him and management after that 2nd tag.

Dak really has a great set-up in Dallas.

Unless I'm missing 1 or 2, those really seem to be the only two QBs recently that have seriously locked horns with the franchise.

Some others may have been overpaid (Goff extension) it wasn't because they were in a real battle.

The Goff contract was a mistake. The Wentz contract was a mistake. The Cousins tags and contract were mistakes.

Dallas is trying to avoid that mistake.

People scream about the precedent of those contracts. Yeah, the precedent is "don't sign those contracts!"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's right. I have a feeling they want things both ways with a lot of things.

I wonder how much of the hangup is Prescott himself, or the agent trying to make a name for himself with future clients.

You're the QB for the Dallas Cowboys, perfect for endorsement deals, but not if you fall out of good graces with fans because you are trying to squeeze the team for every last dime.

One second he wants to bet on himself, but at the same time is hamstringing the team as far as ability to provide a supporting cast.

Yep. Wants to have his cake and eat it too.

I think he's listening to the agent far too much. And their side feels 'untouchable', likely because of all of the dumb things the Joneses have said. If they were smart, they would have explored all of their options and not let things get to this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
20 quarterbacks better than Cousins....Jesus..........Case Keenum? He just lit it up in Washington...the same place where Cousins "sucked" at lol.

And yet did far better in Minnesota than Cousins has...

:rolleyes:

"lol" indeed.
:lmao:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cousins getting paid that much is case in point of how difficult it is to find a plug and play QB on a team that's not in full tank mode.

This past offseason was a rare exception, and if the team wasnt going to pay Prescott, they should have drawn that conclusion months ago.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I still think this is a one phone call deal. Both sides were really close. I think both were waiting for the other side to blink. 2 days to go..

Adreme

Reaction score
13 wins before Cousins, 8 and 10 wins with him. You tell me which way the arrow on that wins graph is pointing?
Ya there were no other factors on those teams at all....basically they are in the exact same place they have been for the past few years which is close to being a contender but the 49ers are stacked (so are the Saints for that matter who ALSO are paying a QB so no real cautionary tale to be learned there). Essentially they are a flat line. They are a team that can make the SB but like every team in that position they need the ball to bounce their way because they are not quite as good as the Saints or 49ers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep. Wants to have his cake and eat it too.

I think he's listening to the agent far too much. And their side feels 'untouchable', likely because of all of the dumb things the Joneses have said. If they were smart, they would have explored all of their options and not let things get to this point.
Ha yeah. Just said similar.

This past offseason was the first time I can think of where there were many stop gap shorter term options available, but they told everyone who would listen they are committed to Prescott (must be a new negotiating strategy I'm unaware of), then expect him to give in to what the team wants.

Doesnt work that way, and they pretty much need to bend over and write the damn check after the way this was handled.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Goff contract was a mistake. The Wentz contract was a mistake. The Cousins tags and contract were mistakes.

Dallas is trying to avoid that mistake.

People scream about the precedent of those contracts. Yeah, the precedent is "don't sign those contracts!"
Its hard to fathom how someone can say those are a mistake but then stand behind giving contracts to Lawrence, Zeke and Jaylon. But giving your franchise QB top dollar is a mistake though lol.

slick325

Reaction score
Dallas will not apply the tag again. And I think he'll play his way out of a big contract.

McCarthy hasn't even contacted him yet according to local reports. My gut is, he's not that impressed and wants to see first hand if Dak can even run the kind of offense he wants to play.

Not to mention, this season probably won't happen anyway, so he may see little, if any, of that contract this fall. Players are paid by the game.

You make a great point regarding the season. Who knows if there will be one.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ya there were no other factors on those teams at all....basically they are in the exact same place they have been for the past few years which is close to being a contender but the 49ers are stacked (so are the Saints for that matter who ALSO are paying a QB so no real cautionary tale to be learned there). Essentially they are a flat line. They are a team that can make the SB but like every team in that position they need the ball to bounce their way because they are not quite as good as the Saints or 49ers.
Right. Like how can I sit here and say Cousins sucks because he can't be a the 49ers or Saints consistency? He beat the Saints last year but Saints are a better team. And the Vikings will always run into a better coached team and a more talented team in the playoffs. Unless they can get that defense back to being the best in the league.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I still think this is a one phone call deal. Both sides were really close. I think both were waiting for the other side to blink. 2 days to go..
Plenty of truth to that.

Nothing wrong with a compromise on that 5th year, like agreeing to not tag him for a 6th (if that's possible).

Either way the guy is set for life and the issue can be put to rest.

Seems like a no brainer, unless your agent has another agenda.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Really? You should check the actual numbers again.
I know this wasn't for me, stash, and I may be misunderstanding the post (if so, just let me know).

And I'm not debating who is better.......

But Cousins has spent two years in Minnesota and compares favorably to Dak the last two years.

2018-2019

QB rating: Cousins 103 > Prescott 98
TD-Int differncial Cousins 40 > Prescott 33
Comp % = Cousins 69.7 > Prescott 66.3
Passing Yards/Game = Prescott 275 > Cousins 255

Team Record: Cousins/Vikings 18-12-1 > Prescott/Cowboys 18-14
Team Playoff record: Tied 1-1