Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak certainly won't do better than his situation with the Cowboys - on and off the field. But yeah, I agree that I don't have a huge amount if faith in the Cowboys track record for quarterback choices. Then again, that was pre-McCarthy as well and that's a specialty of his.

He's 'underrated' because he underperforms when it matters most. There are tons of statistical data that show that.
Yes in years prior he has sucked in prime time games and big time games no doubt. But to me that's sort of a lazy opinion like the whole "Romo doesn't show up in big games". I think there's a reason he's not showing up for those games. I haven't digged deep into enough to discover what that is but there's always more to the story then a guy just stinking it up only in critical moments.

I thought he had a big game against the Saints. Probably biggest win of his career. Then got right back down to earth the following week.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Hopefully nothing gets accomplished July 15th. If he doesn't take us deep in the playoffs, Dallas can let him walk & save millions in 2021.

Dalton can take this talented team just as far for a lot less. That would teach Prescott a big lesson about greed. Touche'

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes in years prior he has sucked in prime time games and big time games no doubt. But to me that's sort of a lazy opinion like the whole "Romo doesn't show up in big games". I think there's a reason he's not showing up for those games. I haven't digged deep into enough to discover what that is but there's always more to the story then a guy just stinking it up only in critical moments.

Since when are actual stats "lazy"? I'd say just the opposite. Opinions without support are lazy.

I thought he had a big game against the Saints. Probably biggest win of his career. Then got right back down to earth the following week.

And the Vikings, like the Commanders win nothing with him as their quarterback.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Since when are actual stats "lazy"? I'd say just the opposite. Opinions without support are lazy.

And the Vikings, like the Commanders win nothing with him as their quarterback.
It depends what the stats are. But if the only stats are his "win/loss" record which is what everyone in the media seems to point to then that's lazy IMO. Because no matter what stats are brought up it will never tell the whole story. Its the same thing they use to do to Romo. But I'd watch the games and yeah maybe a last minute interception was his fault but the stats don't show that his coach put him in a 14 point hole to start the game out with. It just depends on what the stats are.

Vikings didn't win anything prior to Cousins getting there. To me the Vikings have a decent roster...One of the best in the NFC But they are always going to run into a team with better personnel than them. Mike Zimmer is the one who also needs to be question. Is he a good enough coach to beat a team with better talent than his?

slick325

Reaction score
I still think it gets done before Wednesday's deadline. Either way...he stands to make a great deal of money in the next few years. Be it under two franchise tags which will gross $69M then followed by a longer agreement elsewhere. Or a long term deal with Dallas. Prescott should be just fine.

Qcard

Reaction score

Last lap before you've got to give up the Keys....Jerry.

Ps. Dak, Zeke is not allowed on Yacht!!!

Adreme

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Cousins teams have never won anything.

Maybe a cautionary tale for both the Cowboys and Prescott?

If Prescott is as fixated on money, maybe it's time for this team to consider their alternatives and allow Prescott to maximize his finances elsewhere in the future?

I mean he he played for Washington for 2 years so they were never going to win anything with them.

He is not exactly doing badly in regards to winning in Minnesota though so not really a cautionary tale.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends what the stats are. But if the only stats are his "win/loss" record which is what everyone in the media seems to point to then that's lazy IMO. Because no matter what stats are brought up it will never tell the whole story. Its the same thing they use to do to Romo. But I'd watch the games and yeah maybe a last minute interception was his fault but the stats don't show that his coach put him in a 14 point hole to start the game out with. It just depends on what the stats are.

A few stats here and there can be questioned, not an entire career's worth. 2 games above .500 for an 8 year career. Cousins is who he is.

Vikings didn't win anything prior to Cousins getting there.

Case Keenum had them at 13-3 and in the NFC Championship. Then they let him go and overpaid for Cousins. How have they 'won' since?

To me the Vikings have a decent roster...One of the best in the NFC But they are always going to run into a team with better personnel than them. Mike Zimmer is the one who also needs to be question. Is he a good enough coach to beat a team with better talent than his?

Who was their head coach in that year when they went 13-3?

Last year's 10 wins are the highest in Cousins' entire career.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean he he played for Washington for 2 years so they were never going to win anything with them.

He is not exactly doing badly in regards to winning in Minnesota though so not really a cautionary tale.

Really? You should check the actual numbers again.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes
If he leaves Dallas after two tags like Cousins did with Washington, maybe so.

No franchise has ever tagged their QB twice and then signed him long term, from what I recall.
Until recently, QB's were not holding their team hostage for every last dime.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A few stats here and there can be questioned, not an entire career's worth. 2 games above .500 for an 8 year career. Cousins is who he is.

Case Keenum had them at 13-3 and in the NFC Championship. Then they let him go and overpaid for Cousins. How have they 'won' since?

I'm not understanding your stance. So you are giving Keenum the credit for winning 13 games? But then giving Zimmer the credit for the 13 wins?

Wade Phillips gave us 13 wins in 2007.....never repeated again.

Just because Keenum was apart of the ride doesn't mean he was a better quarterback. Vikings defense was GREAT that year they went to the NFC Championship. Top 3 in the league.

And I never said they "won" anything since. But they went into New Orleans and stole that game from the Saints last year. That as an impressive win.

I think you're not understanding my argument. I'm not saying he's top 5. But he's in the same class as guys like Wentz, Dak, Goff, etc. to me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You have no idea what he's doing. If he doesn't sign by July 15th then ok. Point taken. But as of right now? Today? There's nothing to suggest that he and his team aren't simply waiting until July 15th to sign. The actual deadline.

kskboys

Reaction score

Cousins is a slightly better Case Keenum. Prolly around the 15th best QB or so.

Cousins is Brad Johnson. He's a nice QB, as long as you don't have to pay him too much. He's the bus driver type for when you have a great D and running game.

Cousins isn't a lot different than Alex Smith. SF finally dumped him because even w/ their great D and running game, he simply was not going to get them over the hump. In all likelihood, Cousins will be the same.

QB's of this caliber are generally good enough, but once again, only if you don't have to pay them a ton. I'd be happy w/ Cousins as our signal caller, but only if we can get him for around 20 mil or so.

kskboys

Reaction score
You have no idea what he's doing. If he doesn't sign by July 15th then ok. Point taken. But as of right now? Today? There's nothing to suggest that he and his team aren't simply waiting until July 15th to sign. The actual deadline.
OK. If he signs today, I'm wrong. If he doesn't, you're wrong.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OK. If he signs today, I'm wrong. If he doesn't, you're wrong.
Today is the 13th........

I'm wrong about nothing. I'm saying me or you have no idea what's going on. But what we do know is the deadline is the 15th. If its the 16th sure I'll tell you that you were right. At least it would make more sense than as opposed to today.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Cousins (correctly) just didn't like the direction the Skins were going and there were some bad feelings between him and management after that 2nd tag.

Dak really has a great set-up in Dallas.

Unless I'm missing 1 or 2, those really seem to be the only two QBs recently that have seriously locked horns with the franchise.

Some others may have been overpaid (Goff extension) it wasn't because they were in a real battle.

erod

Reaction score
I still think it gets done before Wednesday's deadline. Either way...he stands to make a great deal of money in the next few years. Be it under two franchise tags which will gross $69M then followed by a longer agreement elsewhere. Or a long term deal with Dallas. Prescott should be just fine.
Dallas will not apply the tag again. And I think he'll play his way out of a big contract.

McCarthy hasn't even contacted him yet according to local reports. My gut is, he's not that impressed and wants to see first hand if Dak can even run the kind of offense he wants to play.

Not to mention, this season probably won't happen anyway, so he may see little, if any, of that contract this fall. Players are paid by the game.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think I'm finally more excited at the thought of the new coaching staff searching for the next franchise QB than I am for the team to meet Dak's demands and hope and pray he gets better. If they have offered him top 3 QB money and simply are asking him to help them with the structure for cap purposes and he is refusing, then I hope they trade him before the deadline and jettison this headache. If they are lowballing him, then they deserve to be in this position.

Adreme

Reaction score
Really? You should check the actual numbers again.

I mean they were not going to beat the 49ers but otherwise they seemingly did fine last year at winning (the 49ers also paying a QB top dollar by the way). They have had a few issues but none of those are really related to actually being in a position to win so ya the numbers say they are winning just fine.