News: Schefter: Dak Prescott, Cowboys 'Intend to Stay Together' in 2021 Despite Injury

Swagger

Reaction score
So do I have this right. People who do not want Dak resigned would inevitably oppose a long term contract with any franchise QB? How do you intend to win in the NFL?
But that's the entire point. He isn't a franchise QB, neither are the likes of Cousins or Carr etc. Once a team pays those types of quarterbacks "the going rate" then they are booked in for 8-8/9-7 type seasons.

Gaede

Reaction score
But that's the entire point. He isn't a franchise QB, neither are the likes of Cousins or Carr etc. Once a team pays those types of quarterbacks "the going rate" then they are booked in for 8-8/9-7 type seasons.

He is absolutely a franchise QB. That's the point.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry would be correct to keep his stud players.

"Stud" as in best in the NFL or just the best on the Dallas roster? They're not necessarily the same thing.

What do you propose?

Hire someone to make football decisions and sit in the owner's box, but his ego won't let him.

He's proven he's not up to the task for the last 25 years, but I'm sure he'll get it right next year.

Swagger

Reaction score
He is absolutely a franchise QB. That's the point.
So you regard Carr and Cousins as franchise quarterbacks as well?

That's fair enough - we just have different definitions of what actually constitutes a franchise quarterback - yours is broader than mine.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
"Stud" as in best in the NFL or just the best on the Dallas roster? They're not necessarily the same thing.

Hire someone to make football decisions and sit in the owner's box, but his ego won't let him.

He's proven he's not up to the task for the last 25 years, but I'm sure he'll get it right next year.
Ugh, I don't like Jerry and Stephen making the decisions, but we all know they will never hire someone to GM this team. They did it once with Jimmy Johnson, but Jerry got jealous that Jimmy was getting all of the credit for Super Bowl championships.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score

Who won that game today between the perennial overpaid, overhyped QBs?
DET VS MIN

plymkr

Reaction score
I remain not convinced that outsiders, seeing themselves as general manager, are on the same page as the actual general manager in this particular case. In my opinion, Jerry Jones is 100% behind Dak Prescott as his franchise quarterback. If true, it would make draft need for quarterback a low priority. Why would a general manager (in this case Jerry Jones) invest a high round draft choice at the position if he does not see a huge need?
What you said is true. Why would a GM invest a high draft pick at a position if it's not a need. But Jerry Jones is not a GM, as proven the last 25 years, and Jerry is a moron who doesn't know how to run a football team. I feel the best case for the Cowboys is to get the Dak scenario resolved one way or another as quickly as possible. So this is good news for me. If they can get this resolved ASAP and start the offseason without this being a distraction then we will be better for it. But back to your post. I agree that a normal GM who knows football would not pick a QB with one he trusts on the roster. But Jerry is not a GM and he's a delusional, narcissistic, drunk and probably mentally impaired idiot that is making the call, so all bets are off.

I know a lot of people right now are upset about the draft position. I don't care because the same moron that has been drafting for the last 25 or so years is in charge. Jerry will screw it up because Jerry is a screw up. My dad has a saying. If you give someone 500$ and at the end of the month the person is in 50$ debt, if you give the same person 5,000,000$ to start the year at the end of the year he will be in 50,000$ debt. Meaning if you don't know how to manage money, it doesn't matter how much money you have. Jerry does not know how to manage a football team, so giving him high draft picks is the equivalent to giving 5,000,000 to someone who can't manage money. So if we won the Trevor sweepstakes, we still would be 8-8. Jerry is an 8-8 GM. Actually that's being very generous on my part because 2 people names Romo and Prescott kept Jerry from being exposed as the fraud that he is. I don't know what the exact numbers are but I would be very curious to see what Jerry Jones' record is without Aikman,. Romo and Prescott. Whatever that number is, is what Jerry's GM skills are. It doesn't matter when, or if we draft or who we sign as a FA, we will be average at best because our leadership is very poor and dysfunctional.

I hope Dak signs with the Cowboys for a long term deal because that gives us hope that we will be 8-8 or maybe can be 8-8 if things go great. Without Dak we have no reason to watch the games because Dak is masking Jerry's ineptness.

I really hope this is true that Dak wants to stay. If I was him I'd run as far as I can from this train wreck. If I could get paid somewhere else, I'm taking it. I would want to play for a team that values winning. I would want to play for a team that has LBer's that tackle the ball carrier and not thin air and defensive players that celebrate when they win and not when they make a routine tackle. If I was Dak and I saw my defensive guys dancing and strutting around after making routine tackles in a losing effort while being part of the worst defense in the history of the franchise, I'd flip the team the bird and get on the fastest plane out of town.

These guys are straight up losers! and it starts with the ownership and trickles down to the waterboy. they're all losers at heart. No heart, no guts, no soul. Just plain losers. But they're great dancers and air swoopers. Apparently. that's all you need to do to be a Dallas Cowboy. Greatly overestimate your value and carry on like you are an accomplished HOFer as you push a guy out of bounds after he ran you over and called you soft.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
why must you say Haters? NOBODY is a flat out hater, they just have different opinions. That being said, Dak convinced me this year he is clearly the guy for us moving forward. That being said, we cant just sign him to Patrick Mahomes type money. So now its up to the front office and Dak to both be reasonable and come to a deal that works for both sides.
I agree with everything you are saying but some posters here actually hate Dak. They refuse to acknowledge any good plays he makes and run around the bush trying to make something stick.

Not even Dak supporters think he will get Mahomes money but every year they wait the price goes up. Mahomes won't stay highest paid for maybe another year or so then guys like Josh Allen and Justin Herbert will get their day to be highest paid in years to come.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think most fans understand If the Cowboys give him the money he is asking for then they are going to have problems with the cap. They will not be able to surround Dak with enough talent.

They weren't smart enough to surround him with enough talent when he was cheap.

2016 playoffs - give up 34 points to the Packers
2018 playoffs - give up 273 rushing yards and 30 points to the Rams

Cheap QB and still a garbage defense. Thanks, Jerry.

SackMaster

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been trying to build through the draft for the last several years and so far they have failed.
Failed? Really?

They DRAFTED a Top-10 QB, which is again, the hardest position in all of football to draft. They also drafted two REALLY good WRs. Our RB picks have been pretty good, and Diggs' played pretty good as a Rookie too.

But I'm sure you are talking more about the defensive side sine we've had pretty big misses as of late. Well, unfortunately our old DC wanted a few guys that didn't pan out. I have no issues allowing the HC and coordinators having input, but in this case we missed badly with two of Marinelli's "pet cats" (Taco and Hill).

But your argument sound a lot like if Aikman, Emmitt or Irvin didn't pan out, we should never draft 1st Round QBs, RBs or WRs again.

That's just silly. Oh, we missed on some players (just like every other team in the league) so let's try to build through free agency (a method with a MUCH lower success rate).

I'm glad you are not a GM, just like I'm sure your glad I'm not.
:thumbup:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
why must you say Haters? NOBODY is a flat out hater, they just have different opinions. That being said, Dak convinced me this year he is clearly the guy for us moving forward. That being said, we cant just sign him to Patrick Mahomes type money. So now its up to the front office and Dak to both be reasonable and come to a deal that works for both sides.
Its haters on this site. For sure. Hell some have even admitted they just don't like the guy....no one suggested signing him to Pat Mahomes money. What got the deal held up was the years last time. At least that's what was reported.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think most fans understand If the Cowboys give him the money he is asking for then they are going to have problems with the cap. They will not be able to surround Dak with enough talent.
Their problems with the cap doesn't have anything to do with the money they'd give Dak. Its the other players who aren't up to par.

Steve007

Reaction score
Failed? Really?

They DRAFTED a Top-10 QB, which is again, the hardest position in all of football to draft. They also drafted two REALLY good WRs. Our RB picks have been pretty good, and Diggs' played pretty good as a Rookie too.

But I'm sure you are talking more about the defensive side sine we've had pretty big misses as of late. Well, unfortunately our old DC wanted a few guys that didn't pan out. I have no issues allowing the HC and coordinators having input, but in this case we missed badly with two of Marinelli's "pet cats" (Taco and Hill).

But your argument sound a lot like if Aikman, Emmitt or Irvin didn't pan out, we should never draft 1st Round QBs, RBs or WRs again.

That's just silly. Oh, we missed on some players (just like every other team in the league) so let's try to build through free agency (a method with a MUCH lower success rate).

I'm glad you are not a GM, just like I'm sure your glad I'm not.
:thumbup:
Look at the last 25 years. Jerry failed.

Steve007

Reaction score
They weren't smart enough to surround him with enough talent when he was cheap.

2016 playoffs - give up 34 points to the Packers
2018 playoffs - give up 273 rushing yards and 30 points to the Rams

Cheap QB and still a garbage defense. Thanks, Jerry.
Bad coaching. Bad GM