Schefter: Eagles agree to terms with Nnamdi **merged**

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nirvana;4019575 said:
Ultimately we are paying for the mistake in the Roy Williams contract. We couldn't out-bid the damn Eagles because of it.

Well at least something good came from that trade. We avoided paying big dollars to a cornerback in his 30s.

noletime95

Reaction score
theogt;4019584 said:
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not seeing the logical connection. Jerry's counter to this exact point was that he was out there making a serious run at the #1 free agent.

It's a perfect corralation actually. JJ wanted him, but couldn't fit him under the cap because of dead $$$$$......the highest figure being RW's.

wileedog

Reaction score
theogt;4019584 said:
I think that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not seeing the logical connection. Jerry's counter to this exact point was that he was out there making a serious run at the #1 free agent.

But he got outbid on what is not an outrageous contract for arguably the 2nd best cover corner in the game.

"Serious run" is relative when you have a ton of dead money on the cap vs. when you don't.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
noletime95;4019590 said:
It's a perfect corralation actually. JJ wanted him, but couldn't fit him under the cap because of dead $$$$$......the highest figure being RW's.

I bet Jerry is haunted by visions of Roy flashing the Hook 'Em sign on a nightly basis.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Risen Star;4019585 said:
Well at least something good came from that trade. We avoided paying big dollars to a cornerback in his 30s.

Psssst. Dallas is already doing that........

Nirvana

Reaction score
noletime95;4019590 said:

:hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
noletime95;4019590 said:

Does Adam really need to explain this yet again?

burmafrd

Reaction score
IF Jerruh said that we would pay no more than $40 million and the Birds offered 60 million, then it is understandable.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
noletime95;4019590 said:
Your assumption here is that we couldn't fit him under the cap. All indications are that we could have. The problem seems more likely that we didn't think he was worth that kind of money. And to be honest, he isn't. He's not the best corner in the NFL. And won't be over the next 5 years.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Nirvana;4019575 said:
Ultimately we are paying for the mistake in the Roy Williams contract. We couldn't out-bid the damn Eagles because of it.
so we don't have to find another whipping boy this year? awesome

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4019611 said:
IF Jerruh said that we would pay no more than $40 million and the Birds offered 60 million, then it is understandable.

Yeah but that's sure not the impression he gave in that radio interview.

It sounds to me like they never had the chance to consider it.

One theory I have is this:

The market on Asomugha was so much lower than the Cowboys expected ($10 million a year) that they realized that they could jump in.

Asomugha and his agent were left scrambling in a market much weaker than they thought.

And the Eagles swooped in with an offer larger in money and longer in years and Asomugha and his agent jumped on it immediately.

For whatever reason, it seemed like the Eagles wanted to 'charge out of the gates' on Friday at 6 PM and 'shock the rest of the league'.

jimmy40

Reaction score
maybe every player in the NFL isn't wetting their pants at the opportunity to play for the Cowboys. I know that's hard to believe, but maybe

burmafrd

Reaction score
stasheroo;4019638 said:
Yeah but that's sure not the impression he gave in that radio interview.

It sounds to me like they never had the chance to consider it.

One theory I have is this:

The market on Asomugha was so much lower than the Cowboys expected ($10 million a year) that they realized that they could jump in.

Asomugha and his agent were left scrambling in a market much weaker than they thought.

And the Eagles swooped in with an offer larger in money and longer in years and Asomugha and his agent jumped on it immediately.

For whatever reason, it seemed like the Eagles wanted to 'charge out of the gates' on Friday at 6 PM and 'shock the rest of the league'.

True. Agent might have panicked and convinced Nmadi that the market was crashing.

Bizwah

Reaction score
theogt;4019618 said:
Your assumption here is that we couldn't fit him under the cap. All indications are that we could have. The problem seems more likely that we didn't think he was worth that kind of money. And to be honest, he isn't. He's not the best corner in the NFL. And won't be over the next 5 years.

I think you're right. I think we didn't agree that he was worth that kind of money.

I do think we were blindsided though. You can't blame NA for going to the Eagles....sucks that we lost to the Eagles...but that's the NFL.

I agree that he probably won't be worth that contract in about three years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4019649 said:
True. Agent might have panicked and convinced Nmadi that the market was crashing.

Let's face it, this thing went on a lot longer than folks expected.

To me that says that his market was weaker than anticipated and they were trying to drum up business.

I think the Cowboys got into it when they realized how weak his market was.

And the Eagles simply came in with an offer that blew the others away and he and his agent jumped on it.

Nirvana

Reaction score
I think that 40 million figure is wrong though. I mean the Texans walked away from the table and then offered Joseph a 5 year 48.75 million dollar contract. Wouldn't they have at least gone that high with Nnamdi? For the Cowboys to have been involved this late in the game they must have been willing to ante up that much, maybe 5 year 50 million plus range. We took it farther than the Jets would have, then the Eagles swooped in and ruined the party. If we did not have so much "dead money" we would have matched it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bizwah;4019650 said:
I think you're right. I think we didn't agree that he was worth that kind of money.

I do think we were blindsided though. You can't blame NA for going to the Eagles....sucks that we lost to the Eagles...but that's the NFL.

I agree that he probably won't be worth that contract in about three years.
Agree with all of this.

burmafrd

Reaction score
stasheroo;4019668 said:
Let's face it, this thing went on a lot longer than folks expected.

To me that says that his market was weaker than anticipated and they were trying to drum up business.

I think the Cowboys got into it when they realized how weak his market was.

And the Eagles simply came in with an offer that blew the others away and he and his agent jumped on it.

I am beginning to think that the offer the Jets made was not as big as was thought; I thought it was pretty close to the philthy offer. And supposedly he was very interested in NY.