News: Schefter on Dez

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I don't know how many meetings he's missed but I know of a solution that worked when I was a college basketball coach. You take the ball out of his hands and simply sit him for a half, but you have to be consistent at it.

I know as fans people hate this, I would hate it too, but you either tolerate the behavior or create consequences that gets the player's attention.

A $10,000 fine for Dez is tip money, but playing time is precious. After two missed halves, he would never miss another meeting.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
So if he denies a report from a national press member then he should focus on something else. If he doesn't deny it then it becomes true to goofballs like yourself.

I see how this works.

Ahhhh name calling...He admitted to being late just this past week. I honestley don't give a **** if he is late to every single meeting as long as he is performing on the field. Now if you want to argue that Dez has been earning the contract he is currently playing under, please explain. And please don't tell me a healthy Dez is the greatest receiver you have ever seen either, that won't fly.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of player JJ likes to throw a lot of money at to prove his football acumen. Decent returns early on but not looking good lately.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Ahhhh name calling...He admitted to being late just this past week. I honestley don't give a **** if he is late to every single meeting as long as he is performing on the field. Now if you want to argue that Dez has been earning the contract he is currently playing under, please explain. And please don't tell me a healthy Dez is the greatest receiver you have ever seen either, that won't fly.
Everyone blames the QB's and play calling when Dez is taken out of games but the reality he is unprepared. No film work, no adjustments.

superonyx

Reaction score
I agree that a single report could be exaggerated; however, where there's smoke, there's usually fire. There have been a lot of "reports" about Dez over the years. Are all reporters just out to get him, but just him and not anybody else on the team?
Black man who plays WR, comes from a pimp father and mother who was in jail for years, stuck paying for the reputation the position brings due to Mike Irvin, TO, Randy Moss, Chad Ocho Cinco, ect. Plays for Americas Team....

Surely you can see the ratings boost and automatic credibility a reporter would have for reporting negative things that fit the stereotypes the media have created.

superonyx

Reaction score
Everyone blames the QB's and play calling when Dez is taken out of games but the reality he is unprepared. No film work, no adjustments.
Oh you are breaking some news for us? You have "sources" that Dez isn't prepared or won't watch films ect or are you just showing everyone your own bias and creating stuff to fill the blanks between the facts and your assumed bias?

RS12

Reaction score
The problem with 'sources' is that it doesn't tell us anything. If it was a player source or an executive source I would give it some veracity. But just innocuous 'source' could be anyone. Furthering the issue is that the AP oversight regarding vetting sources is pretty much nonexistent in sports journalism. Innuendo and half truths rule.
According to the ESPN piece one of the sources wan an un named team mate.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Dez is just misunderstood, can't recall him doing anything to draw negative attention to himself.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Time to find a stud in the draft.. you can find steals at wr top of the 1st or 2nd.

Please let's make speed/route running a priority.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I know this is OT, but Cowboys fans crucified Romo when he took a trip to Mexico on his bye week. Tom Brady is a week away from being reinstated, his team is desperately using a rookie QB and he decides to go on an Italian vacation with Gisele. Does anyone have a problem with that? Or do the Super Bowl rings excuse him?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Black man who plays WR, comes from a pimp father and mother who was in jail for years, stuck paying for the reputation the position brings due to Mike Irvin, TO, Randy Moss, Chad Ocho Cinco, ect. Plays for Americas Team....

Surely you can see the ratings boost and automatic credibility a reporter would have for reporting negative things that fit the stereotypes the media have created.
So you're saying it's a racial issue?

superonyx

Reaction score
Dez forces a defense to shift coverage to him which frees up the other players. Why do you think JG had Dez running 22 fly patterns? Maybe had something to do with opening the field for the rest of the team? Or is JG just running plays because he likes to watch Dez run.
Sorry he isn't making fantasy numbers you need to see. But the game is more complex than you want to see.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Oh you are breaking some news for us? You have "sources" that Dez isn't prepared or won't watch films ect or are you just showing everyone your own bias and creating stuff to fill the blanks between the facts and your assumed bias?
Performance on the field speaks for itself. Top ten talent with average stats.

Nav22

Reaction score
So true. Who cares about practice and medical treatment! As long as he knows his assignments, runs precise routes, and is healthy! As long as overall team cohesiveness and team discipline doesn't go to hell. As long as the Cowboys are winning super bowls...I'm not annoyed.

Oh...wait...
Fair enough. Of course I'd prefer it if Dez was a "model citizen" off the field but he's not, and probably never will be.

But I'm not sure how much that really matters if he's balling out on Sundays. So my issue is more with him not balling out on Sundays because he got himself hurt.

Guys like Irvin, Haley, Lawrence Taylor etc etc etc have all been as bad or much worse off the field, in a variety of ways.

We knew all of that and still chose to sign him to an extension. His teammates know that and still support him. He's one of the most popular guys in the locker room. But to play devil's advocate to THAT point, you could say that if Dez were more responsible he'd have the respect necessary to be voted team captain (in place of Frederick this year).

superonyx

Reaction score
So you're saying it's a racial issue?
I can't say for sure. But do I believe a reporter will report something negative about Dez without making sure it's accurate faster than they would about Romo or Witten? Absolutely. Dez doesn't get the benefit of the doubt like certain other players that happen to not be black.

We all get it. Not feeling like having a race argument today but there could be something to it. I want to hope not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So what do you do when the Cowboys are doing far better than anyone suspected, have found a potential franchise quarterback, and suspensions are about to be over for some and some got extended? You find something. This week it's Dez is a head case. In a few weeks the story will be Dak v Romo and how this organization should sit Romo for more games. So predictable: