Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

blueblood70

Reaction score
They should trade Zack for two 1st rounders.
That's not going to happen he is not worth that right now at best you're lucky to get a first but you might be able to get a first however even that might be tough because teams are knowing he wants to restructure his contract to say 24 million.... We overrate our players too much here he's well worth some trade value he's been a great player but he's no two firsts he's up there in age...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
:laugh: Spreading the $ out is not the issue. He has 2 years on his deal. The reason he's not the top paid guard is he's not a FA. Caving to every player who wants a raise is salary cap stupidity. Martin has 2 options: retire, which he won't do with almost $30M already on the table, or play on his current deal. Giving him a little extra $ to soothe his ego might make sense, but bringing his salary up to the top of the league would be foolish. By NFL standards, Martin is an old man, and should be paid accordingly, unless you want another massive dead cap hit.
You didn't argue against anything I said really. Read my post and see how it being the biggest contract for a guard doesn't need to absolutely destroy the freakin' cap.

And no, Einstein's, it doesn't need to prevent us from signing Diggs or Parson's in the future. My god you people are like hysterical women.

Sydla

Reaction score
:laugh: Spreading the $ out is not the issue. He has 2 years on his deal. The reason he's not the top paid guard is he's not a FA. Caving to every player who wants a raise is salary cap stupidity. Martin has 2 options: retire, which he won't do with almost $30M already on the table, or play on his current deal. Giving him a little extra $ to soothe his ego might make sense, but bringing his salary up to the top of the league would be foolish. By NFL standards, Martin is an old man, and should be paid accordingly, unless you want another massive dead cap hit.
He doesn’t have 30 million left. He only has like 16 million left to be paid this and next year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He gets paid like the #1 guard in the league until he no longer is. If you worry about his longevity, you structure the deal accordingly.
An alternate plan is offer players contracts they’ll agree to with monetary and security language in place for both parties, thoroughly understand the agreement, and have the expectation that neither party violates the contract.

Rayman70

Reaction score
a 33 year old player, as great as he is and has been, has 0 business making demands. I luv Zack but not enough to hamstring the team. He plays guard. Its not like he is the starting LT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-zack-martin-contract-holding-potential/ he stands 2 earn 23 million in 2024, the last year of his current deal. 1.7 this year and hes been given 14 mill already up front in restructure money. The guy isnt hurting or going to be applying for welfare anytime soon. The guy needs to be in camp.Hes a big cap hit next year with the 23 mill due him. I lost the link I was reading a few days ago that broke down his incentive $ in the deal. Maybe someone else can find it.

Last edited: