Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is only one thing they like better than getting game checks and that is getting all of their game checks up front before the season even starts.
The extra icing to getting paid upfront for Zach is that he lives in Texas (I think) & doesn't have to pay any state taxes on the bonus money. Players pay state taxes on their game checks for the away games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The extra icing to getting paid upfront for Zach is that he lives in Texas (I think) & doesn't have to pay any state taxes on the bonus money. Players pay state taxes on their game checks for the away games.
sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else with some income tax, given the property taxes in texas are outrageous. not CA outrageous, but too much. so it balances out.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Martin is still going to be one of the best guards, if not THE best, for at least another 3-4 years. Just extend him now with all the guaranteed money he seeks up front; and spread the cash out over future years so his cap number stays about the same as it is now.

This is so simple but Cap Boy doesn't want to pay. That's what it looks like from my viewpoint.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
it is a no brainer extend the best offensive guard in the league, he will play at a high level for 4 to 5 years.
is it better to have two top guards than one great guard and an average guard? I ask because if we pay and make him highest paid, then how much more do we invest in the guard position?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Maybe you give him a bump, but you don't pay him like the #1 guard in the league. The only 2 guards making way more than him are both several years younger. Zack isn't likely to play at their level for more than another year or two.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe you give him a bump, but you don't pay him like the #1 guard in the league. The only 2 guards making way more than him are both several years younger. Zack isn't likely to play at their level for more than another year or two.
He gets paid like the #1 guard in the league until he no longer is. If you worry about his longevity, you structure the deal accordingly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny that he waited until camp was approaching to make his displeasure in his contract known, but that’s how you get deals done. As Jerry has said, deadlines make deals and we don’t want to start the season without Martin.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
He gets paid like the #1 guard in the league until he no longer is. If you worry about his longevity, you structure the deal accordingly.
:laugh: Paying him that much would be foolish. He's not a free agent. You have him signed for 2 years at $13.5M/yr. Giving up that leverage and paying him as the top G would be unnecessary stupidity. ZM has very little leverage, would be idiocy to give in to him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Funny that he waited until camp was approaching to make his displeasure in his contract known, but that’s how you get deals done. As Jerry has said, deadlines make deals and we don’t want to start the season without Martin.
His agent has likely been talking to Dallas already.

His money isn’t right.

I doubt he is in camp.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
:laugh: Paying him that much would be foolish. He's not a free agent. You have him signed for 2 years at $13.5M/yr. Giving up that leverage and paying him as the top G would be unnecessary stupidity. ZM has very little leverage, would be idiocy to give in to him.
He is the top RG. 8)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zack is close to 33 years old. Extremely unlikely he will be at a high level for 5 more years.
The base salary is likely voidable.

The bonus gets spread out.

They already have 9 million in dead cap on his current deal.

They will just rework everything and get his money tight.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The 50K a day fine for missing camp means this will probably get resolved sooner than we think. Under the new CBA Martin has to pay that if he holds out.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The base salary is likely voidable.

The bonus gets spread out.

They already have 9 million in dead cap on his current deal.

They will just rework everything and get his money tight.
Give him a new deal with all the money he wants given to him as an up-front signing bonus, then spread the hit out over the next four years. This deal should be super easy to complete.