Schoonmaker vs. Dalton Schultz

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He just needs to make the somewhat easy catches when they look his way. They like him down the seam near the red zone given his size, and on the roll-outs near the line of scrimmage. They're not expecting him to run any complicated routes/reads in the passing game. Make those plays and everyone is happy.

plasticman

Reaction score
2023 Stats to date

Dalton Schultz: 39 receptions 453 Yards 5 TD's

Jake Ferguson: 39 receptions 386 Yards 4 TD's

Jake is in his 2nd season. Schultz had 1 reception in his 2nd season.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i dont understand the love for TE around here. We had a hof TE and got nothing for it. We just need a simple guy who produces, whats the man fest love for this positon for anyway?

The TE is not a team carrier, he makes some plays and keeps things going. WE dont need a great player at the position. Does he do his job? great, move along. That one position is not going to make or break us.

Creeper

Reaction score
Schultz did nothing for Dallas his first 2 years. Let's see how Schoonmaker develops.

But the choice is not Schoonmaker vs Schultz, it is Ferguson vs Schultz. And I am fine with Fergusons right now. If Schoonmaker develops they will be fixed at TE for a while.

kskboys

Reaction score
Schooner doesn't appear to be the guy who will develop into a high volume pass catcher. Hope I'm wrong.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schooner doesn't appear to be the guy who will develop into a high volume pass catcher.
Based on???

I mean, he is behind Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Ferg, Pollard (maybe Turpin) so that puts him 7th in line for targets?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We couldn't afford to have Schultz now, we'd be $10 million over the cap.
While true , I think the overall point here is we went into the draft needing a TE and Schoon was a reach. There were better , younger TEs on the board.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Which would you really rather have NOW ?
Furgeson starting, shoonmaker learning... ironic huh

same situation Schultz had with old witten.. see the error in your request for an answer,, some players need time to develop that's the point of this post it's look at Schoonmaker slowly becoming what I see is a better blocker and he will at least match schultz's output while being hardly targeted he caught balls in traffic leaving in the one inch line in the Philly game that should have won the game would have been a game winner he caught that ball while being interfered with he caught this last ball with a lot of contact you're going to make fun of this pic you want to be right so bad that you're not going to give the guy credit because you're expecting him to be Ferguson no Ferguson is our starter schoonmakers our backup, who is in the learning process as a rookie

seriously too many of you didn't like the draft so you can do everything in your power to make it look bad even though we see signs that both players look pretty good for what they're being asked to do at the time.. Yes Mazi and schoon learning game by game

blueblood70

Reaction score
The difference is that Schultz was a 21yo 4th rounder, and Schoon is a 25yo 2nd rounder.

It's easy to stick a young Day 3 rook on the bench and give him 2 years to go up the learning curve. Schoon has a shorter window to start paying back a bigger investment.
There is no difference it doesn't matter where you're picked in the draft there are first round people that take years to develop or don't work out at all how'd that go with Trey Lance three first round picks it means nothing where you're picking the draft once you make a team now you find a role and you can only be judged by what you're asked to do so you trying to be like everyone else and want this to be a failure is ridiculous.. He's getting better every game he's becoming a better blocker than McKean and we keep McKeon around for blocking... Now we're seeing him being able to catch in traffic guy hanging on him should have been the game winner against Philadelphia then the very next game gets pinball holds on to the ball in traffic he's doing well for the limited targets and being like the 6th or 7th target on this team if the coaches and the GM and the scouts felt like this was a good pick then we'll go ahead and call it a good pick not what fans think they know better than a pro coaching staff...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Remember that the Cowboys offered Schultz a long-term deal for more than he's making with the Texans, and he turned them down. The point is that despite a slow start, Schultz became a productive TE. Schoonmaker still has time to prove he belongs in the NFL, so no rush to judgment is needed - either for or against him.
:hammer:

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score
We still had Witten during Schultz's rookie season ?

Really ? Didn't we actually draft Shultz because Witten suddenly retired to become NFL TV color analyst
Right - Witten was retired during Schultz' rookie season. When Witten came back in 2019, Schultz was the 3rd TE and only had 1 catch the entire season.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope they put weight on him and get him to play on the offensive line. That's what I would have taken in the second, but I'm like Shultz.