Schultz has earned TE1

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Pitts is a real talent I wouldn't pass on him if he's clearly better than the defensive players left on the board.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
As desperate as this team is for new blood on defense it would not be shocking if Pitts TE from Florida was by far the top rated player on their draft board at 10. Remember this is Jerry we are talking about here.

Wouldn't be the worst thing. If we draft Pitts, flip Gallup + Jarwin for a defender.

I have a gut feeling Pitts goes to Philly, though.

starfan1

Reaction score
If the defenders have 2nd round grades or close to it then I’d be ok with it.

Id hate it but I can understand it.

Anyone think Leatherwood can play guard? I need to watch more of him.

It’s sad to think about but I don’t think we will be able to add any impact to this roster. Status quo incoming.

I think they’ll just sell McCarthy having a full offseason and a healthy roster. We’ll buy it too.
this is a poor draft for elite talent outside a few but I think quality depth can be found.

starfan1

Reaction score
Wouldn't be the worst thing. If we draft Pitts, flip Gallup + Jarwin for a defender.

I have a gut feeling Pitts goes to Philly, though.

you know i never thought of that but they may lose Ertz. I was thinking Jamar chase was their guy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kyle Pitts will be our #1. I am having this vision that Jerry picks this guy. I may flip my lid but that what I'm seeing. And Shultz was one of the few bright spots this year

If Pitts is “clearly” the best player on the board with our top pick I wouldn’t be opposed to taking him. I don’t want to see us reach for a defensive player ala Greg Ellis because we have a need. The most important thing with your top pick is ending up with the best player possible regardless of position. Reaching for needs leads to big mistakes. I’m hearing there’s no great defensive players in the top 10.

starfan1

Reaction score
If Pitts is “clearly” the best player on the board with our top pick I wouldn’t be opposed to taking him. I don’t want to see us reach for a defensive player ala Greg Ellis because we have a need. The most important thing with your top pick is ending up with the best player possible regardless of position. Reaching for needs leads to big mistakes.
youre not wrong and its quite possible hell be there. hell go in the 6-12 range I would think. I guess they have a decision to make if he and Farley or Surtain is there

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Schultz and Jarwin will be TE1 and TE2.--no idea of order.
Both are capable players and Jarwin is a better natural receiver.
That twosome will be quite good.

Blake Bell has the highest pass block grade of any TE in football so it'd be rather nice if they resign him to a low cost deal.

Kyle Pitts isn't even in the conversation. That's be a tragically bad pick in R1.

Dallas is paying Jarwin and kept him because he is very good. His production per target is very high and he has developed into a passable blocker.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.
He had a good Jay Saldi year. Let him warm the spot for a year and go get a TE like Jalen Wydermyer, 6-5-265, Texas A&M or trade a low pick for OJ Howard now.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
To be fair, Jarwin has lived in the shadow of Witten (who should have been gone a long time ago) just like Schultz did. Unfortunately for Jarwin, his time to shine came in a year with a season ending injury.

I'm not trying to limit the impact hat Schultz had, he had a really good season for a guy who few people outside of Dallas had heard of going in to the season, but if you have a shot at a guy like Pitts who is the modern-TE, you take a guy like that over a Witten-like Schultz.
We have so many needs I would hate to see us go with another pass catcher in the first

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I agree, Shultz earned the #1TE position on the 2020 team. I look forward to seeing him compete with Jarwin and others in 2021

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's well-rounded and above average but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jarwin and Schultz will compete with whoever we draft or sign for the third tight end.

Nav22

Reaction score
Schultz is okay. He filled in decently for Jarwin.

I wouldn’t say he’s “earned” anything in regards to being a starter next year.

Hardline

Reaction score
We don't have any TEs on this roster that justifies passing on Pitts over.
This draft class sucks for defense.