Schultz has earned TE1

plasticman

Reaction score
Dalton was adequate this season and that was a surprise to most. The TE was going to be given opportunity in this offense. However, if Jarwin returns and if the Cowboys can acquire some potential at the position, you have to let them compete.

I'm against any player in any position being named a starter before the beginning of training camp. They should all start out as equals whether they are 10 year starters or rookie free agents.

Reactions: CWR

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We don't have any TEs on this roster that justifies passing on Pitts over.
This draft class sucks for defense.

Yeah I don't want to hear that......there are plenty of good defensive players and if they fail oh well that's the draft but drafting a tight end with a top 10 pick is fail. Just a fail. You already have 3 receivers who need touches...you have Pollard and Zeke...Jarwin and Schultz....

Teams have failed taking tight ends early. Good ol' Lions.....they took your approach taking all those receiver and tight ends....just for it not to be worth a damn.

Hardline

Reaction score
Yeah I don't want to hear that......there are plenty of good defensive players and if they fail oh well that's the draft but drafting a tight end with a top 10 pick is fail. Just a fail. You already have 3 receivers who need touches...you have Pollard and Zeke...Jarwin and Schultz....

Teams have failed taking tight ends early. Good ol' Lions.....they took your approach taking all those receiver and tight ends....just for it not to be worth a damn.
You don't pass up on elite talent for 2nd tier defensive players. That's how you get Taco Charlton.
And Dallas offense as it currently sits can and have been shut down by good defenses.
Pitts will have a huge impact on this offense.
You will get a comparable defensive player in the second round that will be just as likely to be as good as anyone you take in the first round.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dalton was adequate this season and that was a surprise to most. The TE was going to be given opportunity in this offense. However, if Jarwin returns and if the Cowboys can acquire some potential at the position, you have to let them compete.

I'm against any player in any position being named a starter before the beginning of training camp. They should all start out as equals whether they are 10 year starters or rookie free agents.

During OTAs and minicamps everybody gets pretty much the same number of looks and your coaching staff would have to be pretty bad not to have an idea as to who is better than whom heading into training camp. By then they would have had rookie camp, however many OTAs and minicamp practices to see what guys can do. When they head to camp it's half whittling down the roster and half getting ready for the season. If you don't start out with who you THINK is going to be your top players at each position you waste too much time in camp doing "tryouts" and lose cycles on the season prep. It's a juggling act but the good ones know how to do it. We will see where McCarthy and co fall in that continuum this year... Lord willing..

blueblood70

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.
maybe , maybe not an open comp next season with Jarwin(who got nice deal LAST OFF SA
EASON) but really so many 2 TE sets wont matters whos the actual starter..they will compliment each other..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.

*And* Jarwin coming back, who McCarthy was very high on.

Yep, we shouldn't be spending on TE with so many other needs. Theoretically we could trade away TEs and bring on new ones, but the trade away are unlikely to recoup full value.

*And* the spend on Lamb should mean we just use 2 TEs less, or not at all. 3 WR should be our base. Lamb is too good to sit for Schultz.

I would have gone more 0 TE formations, with Zeke and Pollard on the field at the same time. Multi run threat offense. The lack of effective use of Pollard is one of my top disappointments for the year.

What happened to Pollard as the gimmick "web back" we always wanted? Speed and size to threaten deep, size and speed for jet sweeps to run wide. Should be a perfect complement to Zeke running inside.

I'm a little skeptical of Schultz as a great TE. Even a good one. He looks great as a 5th option, but that's a pretty easy row to hoe.

Going into the season, I expected Jarwin to have a big year because everyone *else* looked like a bigger threat, and would receive defensive attention accordingly. leaving Jarwin with very little attention. Schultz has likely gotten even *less* attention.

But however you slice it, we've gotten plenty of production out of Schultz with Dalton as Qb and the JV squad oline. The marginal utility of more TE is limited.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As desperate as this team is for new blood on defense it would not be shocking if Pitts TE from Florida was by far the top rated player on their draft board at 10. Remember this is Jerry we are talking about here.

Trade back. Pitts is just a very bad fit for our current personnel. We have plenty of quality TE and even more quality WR. Unless we can cash in some of that to really get the value out of it, I wouldn't spend for more.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He is really good at his job and he’s not terrible at getting vertical but he can eat up all the underneath coverage.

I’m still shocked that I’m saying this but Schultz is not a jag. He’s an above average NFL TE.

I think he was the biggest surprise of the season for me.
Agreed. Can’t wait to have Shultz and Jarwin on the field at the same time. Losing Jarwin was a kick in the junk.

conner01

Reaction score
Agreed. Can’t wait to have Shultz and Jarwin on the field at the same time. Losing Jarwin was a kick in the junk.
I don’t think you will see them both very often
With the 3 WR’s we have it’s not gonna be very often you take one off the field

Section446

Reaction score
We have so many needs I would hate to see us go with another pass catcher in the first
I agree, we have a ton of needs, but none of it matters if Dak doesn't do well. If Pitts is the BPA and it helps Dak, I'm 100% behind it.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
We got as good TE production as we can expect from a team with 3 WRs who got over 800 yards. I think Jarwin may be the better redzone threat but Schultz brings the security blanket/chain-moving potential that this team had with Witten and Beasley. Except Schultz can actually get YAC unlike the older Witten of the last 5 years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

You can let them compete, but *on the field*, Jarwin has just been better. And it's not close.

Jarwin 2019 - QB rating 126.6, YPT 8.5
Schultz 2020 - QB rating 95.5, YPT 6.9

Schultz really hasn't been that great. He's been ok. 6.9 YPT is pretty meh.
Jarwin has been *good*.

And Jarwin with teams having to worry about Lamb? That's one easy row to hoe for Jarwin.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Meh, he's so limited as a receiver it's easy to upgrade.

Still Jarwin's spot to lose.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Meh, bring in competition and let him earn it again. No freebies based on this season.....
I wouldn't spend a top 3 or top 4 pick on a TE...with Jarwin who got a contract, Schultz and 3 WR there is plenty of recieving options....another TE isn't going to make this offense much better than it can already be...we just need Dak back.