Signed by Cowboys Schultz signs franchise tag

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Consider this.....

It's 2nd and 9-11 largely because Schultz couldn't get a hat on his man on the 1st down run.

Its now an obvious pass, and the defense knows it. All real threats are accounted for, so when Dak doesn't see anyone wide open he panics down to Schultz, who like Witten at the end of his career, can be left semi unaccounted for because a LB can get to him quickly.

In effect, the defense takes the 3rd and 6-7....

But Mr Schultz hit a ding ding fantasy point with his check down catch that HE created the need for.

This argument is tempting me to go back and document exactly how many times that happened in 2021 alone.

I agree he must do a better job in blocking but his ability to go out and make 78 catched on the season finishing 3rd in my view is still big. I would not rely on the draft to hope to find an all around TE which is fairly rare these days when you consider there are many TE who are either blockers or receiver but rarely both

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree he must do a better job in blocking but his ability to go out and make 78 catched on the season finishing 3rd in my view is still big. I would not rely on the draft to hope to find an all around TE which is fairly rare these days when you consider there are many TE who are either blockers or receiver but rarely both
That's fair.

Tell how many of those 78 catches McKeon couldn't make for a 20th of the cost.

That's the point is all. And the position needs an upgrade at the starter spot if they are to improve on the run game. Run game needs to improve to be a better offense. Offense needs to improve to be a better team......

More of the same with Schultz.....and that's based on when defenses had to account for Cooper.

If he was an average run blocker 11m would still be an overpay but he is also going to prevent advances in the run game area.

Then again so will Elliott so it doesn't much matter for 2022.

I can only HOPE they know all this and plan to fix it for 2023 but there ZERO way I'm giving them that kind of benefit of the doubt.

I think they collect players and coaches and expect them to figure it all out amongst themselves devoid of any real horizontal plan.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
I agree he must do a better job in blocking

I'm surprised it took him this long to sign it.
Everything now get neg. north of the tag # which sucks for a 1 dimentional TE. An awesome receiving threat but whiffs way to much when trying to block.

Like an old girlfriend:
(sex was great but couldn't cook for sh**)
I've heard the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Maybe I have my starting point wrong.....:muttley:

So what value does that old girlfriend have?
Just booty call material or show her the bling and tie the knot?
I definitely don't think she is franchise material.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's fair.

Tell how many of those 78 catches McKeon couldn't make for a 20th of the cost.

That's the point is all. And the position needs an upgrade at the starter spot if they are to improve on the run game. Run game needs to improve to be a better offense. Offense needs to improve to be a better team......

More of the same with Schultz.....and that's based on when defenses had to account for Cooper.

If he was an average run blocker 11m would still be an overpay but he is also going to prevent advances in the run game area.

Then again so will Elliott so it doesn't much matter for 2022.

I can only HOPE they know all this and plan to fix it for 2023 but there ZERO way I'm giving them that kind of benefit of the doubt.

I think they collect players and coaches and expect them to figure it all out amongst themselves devoid of any real horizontal plan.

I don't know I do know when Witten retired no one step up to fill the role and I don't want to go through that again. In the 2020 season Schultz started to produce and this year continue to show it and again was 3rd in the NFL 6th in yards and 2nd in TD. I hope to see them remove the franchise tag and get him signed to a longer deal. I'm sorry you say overpay I disagree when his pay is 7th in the NFL

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm surprised it took him this long to sign it.
Everything now get neg. north of the tag # which sucks for a 1 dimentional TE. An awesome receiving threat but whiffs way to much when trying to block.

Like an old girlfriend:
(sex was great but couldn't cook for sh**)
I've heard the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Maybe I have my starting point wrong.....:muttley:

So what value does that old girlfriend have?
Just booty call material or show her the bling and tie the knot?
I definitely don't think she is franchise material.

His pay in 7th in the NFL amongst TE, we are not overpaying for him. You can't say it all day long and I still disagree.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
His pay in 7th in the NFL amongst TE, we are not overpaying for him. You can't say it all day long and I still disagree.

Just because others overpay doesn't mean we need to follow.
If he can round out his game and not be a detriment to our running game, then pay him accordingly.
Until then, I do not believe he is franchise material.......he needs to learn to cook :)

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Oj Howard and Jared Cook didn't get to play Philly, Wft, and the Giants twice.

Whomever says Schultzs is better is going off of statistics alone.

You can see with your eyes who is a better receiver. Either one of those guys are an upgrade to Schultz because they are more atheletic and have more complete receiving skillsets. Especially Cook. He can go up and snatch a ball.

They didn't get the luxury of catching 45 wide open checkdown passes for 3-6 yards. LMAO

Our old outdated scheme was designed around a possession receiving te aka Witten. It never won us beans btw so that point is mute.

Sure he catches alot of balls on 1 and 2nd down and can move the chains and pick up some production against scrub defenses like philly but it's not winning production. Same as #82 for 15+ years.

If our division was great we'd be 9-8 at best w this sdupid 12/11 led passing scheme.

It's been this way for 20 years.
The te core dominates passing snaps and gimme receptions and it's just a bunch of padded stats. Come playoff time were down by 2-3 scores by halftime and we always come up short and lose everytime

Better go run n shoot when it matters because we're gonna fold like a chap suit on critical downs w these checkdowners.

It's just as much a scheme problem as it is a limited skillsets problem.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
like they weren't another guy in the NFL who couldn't block or catch the check-down passes from the check-down loser.

smh
The guy was 4th in the NFL in TD's and 6th in yardage among TE's. His blocking is less than stellar, but he has become a strong receiver at the position.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I'll give a Million to 1 odds were going w Schultz and the practice squad backup te.

It's just a bunch of te hype. We'll draft some checkdowner in the 5th round instead of grabbing a winner like Cook or Howard for 5 million who can actually perform in the clutch and win some games for us

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll give a Million to 1 odds were going w Schultz and the practice squad backup te.

It's just a bunch of te hype. We'll draft some checkdowner in the 5th round instead of grabbing a winner like Cook or Howard for 5 million who can actually perform in the clutch and win some games for us
Cook is 35 years old and OJ Howard has had an extraordinarily ho hum career so far.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
The guy was 4th in the NFL in TD's and 6th in yardage among TE's. His blocking is less than stellar, but he has become a strong receiver at the position.

He's just a Jag playing in a weak division Aka Rogers

Everybody knows it's just a bunch of padded paper stats.

You've been selling the te koolaide w Swaim, Jarwin, Schultz, Hanna and old man Witten for 8+ years.

We have 1 te playoff TD in 25 years. But he plays Snapcounts like a #1 wr in losing fashion

Jared Cook would make Schultz look like a hs te at 35.

He doesn't have to play every passing snap to get 4 Tds a year

This te scheme averages 5 tds a year max for 20 years and 1 playoff TD in that span also

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Oj Howard and Jared Cook didn't get to play Philly, Wft, and the Giants twice.

Whomever says Schultzs is better is going off of statistics alone.

You can see with your eyes who is a better receiver. Either one of those guys are an upgrade to Schultz because they are more atheletic and have more complete receiving skillsets. Especially Cook. He can go up and snatch a ball.

They didn't get the luxury of catching 45 wide open checkdown passes for 3-6 yards. LMAO

Our old outdated scheme was designed around a possession receiving te aka Witten. It never won us beans btw so that point is mute.

Sure he catches alot of balls on 1 and 2nd down and can move the chains and pick up some production against scrub defenses like philly but it's not winning production. Same as #82 for 15+ years.

If our division was great we'd be 9-8 at best w this sdupid 12/11 led passing scheme.

It's been this way for 20 years.
The te core dominates passing snaps and gimme receptions and it's just a bunch of padded stats. Come playoff time were down by 2-3 scores by halftime and we always come up short and lose everytime

Better go run n shoot when it matters because we're gonna fold like a chap suit on critical downs w these checkdowners.

It's just as much a scheme problem as it is a limited skillsets problem.
That’s pretty on-point.

A lot of folks don’t want to acknowledge Witten was a volume guy, especially towards the end of his career.

I always felt opposing teams were more than willing to let our offense try to drive the field on a 12-15 play drives featuring Witten than to give up chunk plays on the outside.

It doesn’t mean Witten was trash but he also wasn’t a dynamic playmaking TE ala Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez, et cetera.

I don’t think there’s anything Schultz is doing that a guy like McKeon can’t.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Schultz was actually a good blocking TE for the Cowboys up until last year, when he just started doing poorly in that area. It's strange.

He was a better blocker than Jarwin when he came up to the NFL. Not entirely sure what happened last year. Was he nicked up?

Motorola

Reaction score
Kid hasn’t been paid his entire career. He was eager to get that cash
Paid just under $4.5 million over 1st 4 years - consumerate with 4th round pick contracts back then.
Prescott earned just over 4 mil during his rookie deal.
Schultz and Prescott got extra $$$$ due to the Performance-Base Pay scale...and Dak raked in more via endorsements.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
1 Playoff td by a DC Te in 25 years.

5 te core tds a year averages in the regular season for 20+ years playing every passing snap. That's not even counting the 12 formation which is 30% of passing snaps.

1-2 games decided and won by any catch from a Cowboys te in 20 years. Prolly against a scrub team btw

The stats don't lie fellas

Wheres Rico at? We need someone who can jump to hype up our red zone te prowess. Lmao

The red zone failures are everybody else's fault except Schultz, Jarwin, Swaim, Hanna, Phillips, Escobar, and Wittens.

I wish we would have kept Martellus Bennett and made him the Starter. Then we wouldn't have this possession receiving everydown te passing scheme that has won us 3 playoff games in 25 years

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If yall want a shot to win a championship go get a proven turf te that can go up and get a ball in the red zone like Cook.

He's just the kind of te we need to show these checkdowners how to snatch up a 50/50 ball.

Hes the best Turf Te available in fa. We woulda lost to the chargers had his td not got negated by a penalty.

And we all know what he did to us against gb in the Playoffs

Our checkdown tes don't have any game winning or scoring attributes like that. LMAO

Maybe w him and Schultz we'll make this a powerhouse in the RED ZONE

Don't drink the te Koolaide

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
It's gonna be a set it and forget it everydown passing te scheme where there's no competition for the position and no substitution for better wrs and rbs when our te goes 9 games w one TD.

We did it w Witten, Swaim, Jarwin, and Schultz.

Swaim had 1 Td but played every passing snap like Gronk

We need to have a Plug and Play Scheme based upon skillsets instead of this next man up losing scheme.

It's 3rd and 26 with the Game or season on the Line and old man Witten or Swaim is out there going deep!!! LMAO

That sounds ignorant but its the Truth!!!!

We'll throw it to Witten for 7 yards and he'll fall down 19 yards in front of the sticks and lose the game.

But we got a completion.

We shoulda just knelt down and forfeited the game and lost with some DIGNITY

We did that so many times I lost count but I DIDNT FORGET