Signed by Cowboys Schultz signs franchise tag

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just because others overpay doesn't mean we need to follow.
If he can round out his game and not be a detriment to our running game, then pay him accordingly.
Until then, I do not believe he is franchise material.......he needs to learn to cook :)

It is market value, I don't get this one day Jerry and Stephen are being cheap and next they are over spending? They did not over spend, you can tell yourself that all you want but they payed him within the league market value.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Take out those 45 wide open checkdown passes a year out of our playbook and make these tes earn their receptions and production.

We'll see just how good they are then. It's just PADDED STATS.

Some of y'all acting like that's something special or part of some winning formula. Most tes in the NFL could catch those uncontested balls.

I'm not buying in to a Losing tradition.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's just a Jag playing in a weak division Aka Rogers

Everybody knows it's just a bunch of padded paper stats.

You've been selling the te koolaide w Swaim, Jarwin, Schultz, Hanna and old man Witten for 8+ years.

We have 1 te playoff TD in 25 years. But he plays Snapcounts like a #1 wr in losing fashion

Jared Cook would make Schultz look like a hs te at 35.

He doesn't have to play every passing snap to get 4 Tds a year

This te scheme averages 5 tds a year max for 20 years and 1 playoff TD in that span also
Wow, I thought he actually caught those passes and TD's, and now I find someone just wrote down some numbers and passed them off as real. Who they hell knew?

I'm not sure what Schultz has to do with the last 25 years, but hey, you can make things up right along with that guy that made up Schultz stats!

Oh, wait, I remember you. You're the guy that learned football by playing fantasy football. I love how you changed your position by the way. It was always before that the TE wasn't putting up the big fantasy stats, and now that the TE put up strong stats the story is the stats are fake.

By the way, Dalton Schultz played 81% of the Cowboys offensive snaps, and ….

Tyler Higbee played 92% of the snaps with the Super Bowl Champion Rams and his production was well below Schultz in every statistical category.
C.J. Uzomah played 77% of the snaps for the Super Bowl runner up Bengals, and he also fell well below Schultz's production
Dawson Knox played 87% of the snaps with the Buffalo Bills, and he too was below Schultz statistically.
Then there was Cole Kmet (83%), Noah Fant (84%), Tyler Conklin (81%) who all played as many or more of the snap counts with much less production.
And many others just below Schultz's snap counts that had much less production

This all kind of blows up that idea that teams only give a lot of playing time to TE's like Kelse & Kittle, and the notion that only teams with TE's like that can be successful.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Go Dalton, now please learn how to block.
I think he went to a TE's invite only camp paid and ran by Kittle and Ertz last off season. You would think blocking would have been something Shultz would have asked many questions on blocking as it is his weak point. And perhaps he did still he didn't look great at it last year. He has good hands catching balls from Dak so I get his franchise tag. If they sign him to three years and it lowers our cap hit this year that would be gravy on the top.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Me predictions 15 years ago:

In the future, franchise tags will be used for JAGs
In the future, a cowboys PR guy will publish an online magazine on Cowboys cheerleaders favorite frilly wear.
In the future, our QB will only hand off the ball and throw occasional dinky passes to keep opponents from stacking the line.
In the future, our RBs will consider 50 yards rushing a good day's work.
In the future, Stephen will pick a great player in the draft followed by 6 JAGs.
In the future, free agents will go to Cleveland instead of Dallas.
In the future, parking at JerryWorld will cost $125 but will come with a coupon for free popcorn.
In the future, Cowboys cheerleaders will be trained and managed by wrinkled 70-year-old women.
In the future, moral victories will be called almosts.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Wow, I thought he actually caught those passes and TD's, and now I find someone just wrote down some numbers and passed them off as real. Who they hell knew?

I'm not sure what Schultz has to do with the last 25 years, but hey, you can make things up right along with that guy that made up Schultz stats!

Oh, wait, I remember you. You're the guy that learned football by playing fantasy football. I love how you changed your position by the way. It was always before that the TE wasn't putting up the big fantasy stats, and now that the TE put up strong stats the story is the stats are fake.

Tyler Higbee played 92% of the snaps with the Super Bowl Champion Rams and his production was well below Schultz in every statistical category.
C.J. Uzomah played 77% of the snaps for the Super Bowl runner up Bengals, and he also fell well below Schultz's production
Dawson Knox played 87% of the snaps with the Buffalo Bills, and he too was below Schultz statistically.
Then there was Cole Kmet (83%), Noah Fant (84%), Tyler Conklin (81%) who all played as many or more of the snap counts with much less production.

This all kind of blows up that idea that teams only give a lot of playing time to TE's like Kelse & Kittle, and the notion that only teams with TE's like that can be successful.
Or that any random schmo like Sean McKeon can easily grab 78 receptions. You see it all the time in the NFL, OJ Howard…oh wait, that dude sucks, nvm. Anyone who mentions OJ Howard’s name in an argument needs to support Ukraine by getting shot out of a tank at a Russian soldier.

When were individual statistics collated with the level of competition? All bad teams automatically have sucky safety play and can’t guard TEs?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Why would you think snap% speaks to how a TE is used in a particular scheme?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the Rams use an exclusive 11 personell group if I'm correct. And Higbee isn't that great. I'll give ya that Rogers. He's on the same checkdown skill level as Schultz too.

But I don't remember ever seeing any 12 personell group and not on 30% of passing plays.

So you're only partially correct on that.

So yes It is possible to win a SB with 1 sucky checkdown te playing all of the snaps

But only when you have the best wr core, oline, defense and good sts and a better than avg QB.

Throw that 12 personell dimension in there with that lessor 2nd scrub te and boy oh boy how it gets even way uglier.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Higbee and Schultz are on about the same level as far as receiver skillsets.

I'd give Higbee a little edge over schultz at blocking. And I think he's more clutch at making plays that matter down the stretch

But I wouldn't franchise tag him for all of the tea in China either

He played on a Superbowl team and is only making 6.85 million a year.. btw

His stats are very comparable to Schultz but he's in a little tougher division and Schedule.

I think he prolly got a little premium playing for La

But I still think cook is a Better te esp on turf at 35

And Howard, Rudolph, and all of those other tes I mentioned could replace him w no dropoff for less if La wanted too.

He's not that much different than Schultz in stats over the past 2 years. He just has a way better team around him in all 3 facets

We had the easiest schedule of all last year.

I'm gonna put Schultz in the 5 TD category. Prolly against our sorry division rivals again

If he hadn't gone cold for 9 games w only one TD I might take his production more seriously.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Schultz

78 receptions 808 yds

Division (6 games)
32 receptions 333 yards 6 tds

Non Division (11 games)
46 receptions 475 yards 2 Tds

24 receptions 1st quarter
27 receptions 2nd quarter
51 total First half

11 receptions 3rd quarter
15 receptions 4th quarter
26 total 2nd half

22 receptions 1st down
39 receptions 2nd down
17 receptions 3rd/4th down

Here is some of his stats

11 games w only 2 Tds against non Division opponents is the stat that really jumps out at ya

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
Schultz

78 receptions 808 yds

Division (6 games)
32 receptions 333 yards 6 tds

Non Division (11 games)
46 receptions 475 yards 2 Tds

24 receptions 1st quarter
27 receptions 2nd quarter
51 total First half

11 receptions 3rd quarter
15 receptions 4th quarter
26 total 2nd half

22 receptions 1st down
39 receptions 2nd down
17 receptions 3rd/4th down

Here is some of his stats

11 games w only 2 Tds against non Division opponents is the stat that really jumps out at ya
Wow, good work. I appreciate the breakdown. I agree that the non division opponents numbers do jump out at you. Some of that is on the QB and OC. I'm not a huge fan of resigning Schultz, especially at a solid 11 million so I hope he steps up next year. It's not the worst contract we've done but I'm still not too psyched about it. We'll see how it plays out tho.

cristglo

Reaction score
Schultz has never been a "Good" blocker EVER. He is less than JAG in that area.
Schultz is Not Kelce, Andrews, Pitts, Goedert, Smith, Henry, or Kittle. If we had any of those TE on our Team it would be awesome.
I hope that he has a great year but in NO way if they sign him long-term he deserves Kittle-type money.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would you think snap% speaks to how a TE is used in a particular scheme?
I agree completely that snap count and usage are different things, but that guy's argument has always been that a TE shouldn't get a high snap count unless he is putting up numbers like Kelce and Kittle. He essentially puts the brunt of the blame for not winning super bowls on not having a TE that puts up those kinds of numbers. He has no concept that the TE position is more than just an extra WR that weighs more. I was just trying to show that NFL teams don't share his viewpoint.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Higbee and Schultz are on about the same level as far as receiver skillsets.

I'd give Higbee a little edge over schultz at blocking. And I think he's more clutch at making plays that matter down the stretch

But I wouldn't franchise tag him for all of the tea in China either

He played on a Superbowl team and is only making 6.85 million a year.. btw

His stats are very comparable to Schultz but he's in a little tougher division and Schedule.

I think he prolly got a little premium playing for La

But I still think cook is a Better te esp on turf at 35

And Howard, Rudolph, and all of those other tes I mentioned could replace him w no dropoff for less if La wanted too.

He's not that much different than Schultz in stats over the past 2 years. He just has a way better team around him in all 3 facets

We had the easiest schedule of all last year.

I'm gonna put Schultz in the 5 TD category. Prolly against our sorry division rivals again

If he hadn't gone cold for 9 games w only one TD I might take his production more seriously.
So, you say Higbee is roughly about the same level as Schultz, but that level isn't good enough to help a team win even though it helped the Rams win a Super Bowl

And of course Higbee's contract is less than Schultz will get. His contract was signed 3 years ago.

As always, your arguments are very weak.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
So, you say Higbee is roughly about the same level as Schultz, but that level isn't good enough to help a team win even though it helped the Rams win a Super Bowl

And of course Higbee's contract is less than Schultz will get. His contract was signed 3 years ago.

The Rams had the best player on offense and defense and the best oline and a good sts and a top qb.

Some would say they pretty much had the best offense and defense

But I still think it's an exclusive 11 personell group. I've never seen 2 scrubs tes out there running amuck on so many passing downs. Aka the 12 formation which we normally use about 30% of the time on passing plays

That take what the defense gives ya te mularky may work against our NFC Least Division on 1st and 2nd down.

But you can see by the stats that Non Division Teams weren't falling for it much.

Especially in the 2nd half.

Do you think Schultz and his Lessor can run this 11 and 12 personell and get us past the first round of the playoffs??? Superbowl?

Because old man #82 couldn't, Escobar Couldn't, Swaim couldn't, Jarwin couldn't, and Schultz has been here 2 years and SO FAR HE HASNT. So I've been right for about 8 years Rogers.

The Rams secured about 6 outside studs in free agency and bought them a contender also. Trading picks and players etc.

We're drafting players and picking up a few bottom Barrell fa's that nobody else feels they can win with.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

Do you think Jared Cook is a better red zone target or overall receiver who could come in and make an impact as the 3rd down and the Red zone te.

At least Moreso than Schultz and McKeon or whatever practice Squad Scrub te that's gonna be operating than 12 personell passing offense in the red zone that seldom scores???

Btw. Part of the problem is our little 3-4 yard checkdown scheme on 1st and 2nd down.

It nets us a bunch of easy te completions between the 20's but it's not really clutch in the Red Zone.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
It's not just about the Snapcounts. It has alot to with how we use the player also.

These tes are out there lined up wide as a 4th wr. Going long on 3rd and 25. They've never actually executed one yet in 20+ years but they keep doing it like they're gonna hit the Lottery one of these days