Twitter: Scoring first was the key in Cowboys wins last year

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think this shows the ‘smoke and mirrors’ that was the Dan Quinn defense. He sold out at all costs for pass rush, to the detriment of sound fundamentals and run defense.

It worked when they had a lead, but fell apart if and when they didn’t.

The hope is that Mike Zimmer can install a more disciplined defense. One that is good against both the pass and the run.

But it doesn’t help matters that he’s been given virtually no investment in helping his cause.
Yep this is what I'm hoping for too a JUST DO YOUR JOB defense. I think there was too much Hero Ball last season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most definitely. But at least Quinn’s defense improved over Marinelli’s outdated mess in big play areas like sacks and turnovers. We won’t even get into the disaster that was Mike Nolan.
Mike Nolan was a mess and I think after starting out slow we somehow ended up top 5 in turnovers but couldn’t stop anyone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think this shows the ‘smoke and mirrors’ that was the Dan Quinn defense. He sold out at all costs for pass rush, to the detriment of sound fundamentals and run defense.

It worked when they had a lead, but fell apart if and when they didn’t.

The hope is that Mike Zimmer can install a more disciplined defense. One that is good against both the pass and the run.

But it doesn’t help matters that he’s been given virtually no investment in helping his cause.
That defense was fine until GB came. I’m not saying it was flawless but for a team that was suppose to be more offensive than defensive and who lost Diggs for the year? Defense was good enough I just don’t know why that GB game happened the way it did.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They say "it's a passing league" but running teams were the last 4 standing last year. In 13 playoff games the team that won the rushing battle was 10-3. If the Cowboys don't fix the run game and run defense then their season will end early again. So what does the front office do at the DT position? Nothing or less than nothing because they let Hankins go without replacing him with a veteran.
Passing league makes it an entertaining league. A 4 yard rushing play is very boring. However, running the ball and stopping the run, is the key to winning in the playoffs.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Most definitely. But at least Quinn’s defense improved over Marinelli’s outdated mess in big play areas like sacks and turnovers. We won’t even get into the disaster that was Mike Nolan.
Or the disasters of Monte Kiffin, Rob Ryan, and Mike Zimmer the first time around.

Jerry sure can pick 'em.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That defense was fine until GB came. I’m not saying it was flawless but for a team that was suppose to be more offensive than defensive and who lost Diggs for the year? Defense was good enough I just don’t know why that GB game happened the way it did.
I remember more than just the Green Bay game where Quinn’s defense failed to show up.

We were a team of extremes. Either we blew teams out, or we GOT blown out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I remember more than just the Green Bay game where Quinn’s defense failed to show up.

We were a team of extremes. Either we blew teams out, or we GOT blown out.
Yeah I mean I remember it too. But I guess the defense was what I expected it to be. They couldn’t stop the run and had safeties playing linebacker so for me whatever we got there was bonus.

Can’t keep trying to get away trying to get away with bad interior play and linebacker play it will only last for so long.

Im
Hoping if there’s one thing that will happen with Zim is he at least shores that up. But then again all they gave him was Kendrick’s to fix it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's a fair point. In our losses last season this team put up 16, 10, 23,10, and 20 points. They also had a combined 8 turnovers in those 5 games. Not saying we should let the defense off the hook here, but the offense for the most part did not show up in these games either.
The offense isn’t gonna be lights out every week especially dependent on the competition.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
  • When the Cowboys were ahead, especially if they led by 10 or more, it allowed our defense‘s strengths to step forward which was rushing the passer. When we got behind, stopping the run became critical and that has been our Achilles heel on defense for years.

This sums up nicely , Not able to run and not able to stop run is a big factor.

But what is missing in this is the fact this was not a physical team , when getting beaten up this team folds.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I remember it too. But I guess the defense was what I expected it to be. They couldn’t stop the run and had safeties playing linebacker so for me whatever we got there was bonus.

Can’t keep trying to get away trying to get away with bad interior play and linebacker play it will only last for so long.

Im
Hoping if there’s one thing that will happen with Zim is he at least shores that up. But then again all they gave him was Kendrick’s to fix it.
Agree. I think Zim has the tools to fix it, but I think the issue is similar to last season in does he have the depth to do it if we start losing pieces?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense isn’t gonna be lights out every week especially dependent on the competition.
Nobody expects them to be "LIGHTS OUT" (every week). Nobody is saying that. Just like the D won;t be either.

But they do have to maintain composure and clock. Give the defense some respite. It's even more imperative when the D looks like backs against the wall.

Could it be the O tries to hard to get it back all at once? I don;t know just a thought. I will add patience and resolve as well.

But of course the D needs it too. EVERYONE has to make plays. But Offense seems to me to be something we can control much ..."easier"?

I think that's why they are separated into "OFFENSE" and "DEFENSE". Two different things in "wartime".

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
To me, Dak is never more comfortable when he's got a lead and he can let the ball fly with less risk. HOWEVER, I think he sees himself as "Captain Comeback" and IMAGINES he is most comfortable when everyone is doubting him and he needs to come back. Problem is...he's clearly NOT comfortable playing from behind and especially so in big games. In other words, you're not a riverboat gambler Dak...not like you think you are.

SackMaster

Reaction score
If some writer knows this, it's likely every NFL Team knows this too.

Now I wonder if this is why when GB won the toss, they elected to receive? Did they fell that if they could score on their opening drive to start the game, the Cowboys D wouldn't be able to stop them the rest of the game if they could not just rush their QB?

Make no mistake, the offense sucked too. It just seems GB had absolutely no fear of our D.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
We had 6 games in the regular season (35% of our games) where we scored 20 or less. I'm not sure if we had a defensive score in any of those so for now assuming that's all offensive production. Around 2/3 of the league averaged more than 20\game for the season. So, simple deduction is that if you score less than 21 in any given game, you are at risk regardless of the opponent.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Agreed, but we need to look at the offense and defense by equal rules when evaluating the units. The defense also had 11 games where they allowed 20 or fewer points. Overall both the offense and defense were both really good units but flawed units. Defensively this team was a plus team against the pass and below average against the run. Offensively they were a plus team passing and pretty average in the run game. Both units had 10+ games of putting up really strong numbers, but had their off weeks which uncoincidentally or not seemed to come on the exact same weeks often.