Twitter: Scoring first was the key in Cowboys wins last year

birdwells1

Reaction score
Cowboys defense can't ever be in the same caliber as other top defenses because they don't value the trenches. All flash. Our defense is dependent on the opponent we face. If any offense can pass and have a stout running game they are gonna give us issues. When the defense gets punched in the mouth that's it. They never do the punching. Those punches are suppose to come from your front 7. I think D-Law will punch you in the face....that's about the only guy I can think of in that front 7. Hoping Kendricks can contribute some of that.
Absolutely great post, we were made to play defense with a lead when we got behind and teams dedicated themselves to the run it was game over.

Havic

Reaction score
Definitely says something about the defense.
Same with the offense, Dak is not the guy to play from behind and win you the game. If the defense can stop the run and better yet not freaking quit, they are a top 8 unit.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cowboys defense can't ever be in the same caliber as other top defenses because they don't value the trenches. All flash. Our defense is dependent on the opponent we face. If any offense can pass and have a stout running game they are gonna give us issues. When the defense gets punched in the mouth that's it. They never do the punching. Those punches are suppose to come from your front 7. I think D-Law will punch you in the face....that's about the only guy I can think of in that front 7. Hoping Kendricks can contribute some of that.
I wont say that you're wrong, I just struggle to say defense bad, offense good while the parallels between the two units are vast. It's the same arguments for both sides of having really good stats, one dimensional units, weak in the trenches with and against the run, and took advantage of a weak schedule last season. Both units had some respectable showings against quality teams (2nd philly game, Detroit, LA), but also some total clunkers against quality teams (SF, Buffalo, GB).

It really just becomes the football version of the chicken or the egg argument. It starts to get into a different discussion but ultimately both units needed help this offseason if they are going to be top 5 in point differential once again this year as both units probably over achieved a season ago given their weaknesses.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Absolutely great post, we were made to play defense with a lead when we got behind and teams dedicated themselves to the run it was game over.
Which could play into the argument of why the offense didnt show up more in big games. If the opposing team becomes that run heavy and is successful at it in theory the time of possession and number of drives for your offense goes down. Someone would need to review the box scores to see if this is accurate, but it is a possibility.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same with the offense, Dak is not the guy to play from behind and win you the game. If the defense can stop the run and better yet not freaking quit, they are a top 8 unit.
No doubt, you are correct.

Dak played awful against SF twice and GB last season. The whole team played poorly.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That defense was fine until GB came. I’m not saying it was flawless but for a team that was suppose to be more offensive than defensive and who lost Diggs for the year? Defense was good enough I just don’t know why that GB game happened the way it did.
Again it goes back to complimentary football.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's a fair point. In our losses last season this team put up 16, 10, 23,10, and 20 points. They also had a combined 8 turnovers in those 5 games. Not saying we should let the defense off the hook here, but the offense for the most part did not show up in these games either.
KC D gave up 16.5 points a game.

But it was all Mahomes of course.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lol this speaks volumes about both offense and defense. You telling me our offense cant play without a lead? They just shutdown whens it's 7-0? Ridiculous
No. Saying our defense can not play without a lead.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

You're going to have to explain that one to me like I'm 5 years old because I just don't understand what the point you're trying to get across is.

KC was probably the best defense in football a year ago, it's just that very few people actually realized it because the talking point of that team all year was the mediocre WRs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think things may have been limited as far as getting coordinators to come here under Garrett for one reason or another.

I’m not so sure he had a ton of people around the league who actually liked and respected him….then there’s the Jerry’s situation.

It also could have been that Garrett didn’t want anyone around that could potentially threaten his job.

So, we end up with guys like Linehan and Marinelli, neither of which was ever getting another HC shot.
Jerry's last few hires have been out of retirement.

Can we go for a 3rd with BB?

Chasing6

Reaction score
With out a running game, double CD and how hard is it to stop our offense?

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're going to have to explain that one to me like I'm 5 years old because I just don't understand what the point you're trying to get across is.

KC was probably the best defense in football a year ago, it's just that very few people actually realized it because the talking point of that team all year was the mediocre WRs.
I agree, but half our fans can't recognize that and think Mahomes carried the entire team and they can't understand why Dak can't carry the entire team by himself.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

It was definitely a year where their D carried more of the load than in past seasons. Having said that, they don't panic nor are they dependent on a defensive score if they get behind. Not sure about last year but in 2022 they were 4-0 when trailing at halftime. Mahomes is a difference maker. That should never be minimized.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It was definitely a year where their D carried more of the load than in past seasons. Having said that, they don't panic nor are they dependent on a defensive score if they get behind. Not sure about last year but in 2022 they were 4-0 when trailing at halftime. Mahomes is a difference maker. That should never be minimized.
Not saying Mahomes is not a difference maker. But it is much easier to be a difference make when you D gives up 17 points, then being a difference maker when you D gives up 30+.

Why would you panic only giving up 17 points?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Most teams have bought into it is a passing league. Just look at WR pay on the rise and RB pay on the decline.
Oh I agree but you would think even teams with an average running attack would come into a game against us with every intent to run early, run often & with a plan to exploit our lack of strength in the middle & lack of discipline in maintaining gap responsibilities.

A team like Baltimore with the addition of Henry could be well poised to go run heavy this year to exploit a lot of D's in the league.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Not saying Mahomes is not a difference maker. But it is much easier to be a difference make when you D gives up 17 points, then being a difference maker when you D gives up 30+.

Why would you panic only giving up 17 points?
I hear ya & agree that his D did make it easier last year. Unfortunately our team does seem to panic if behind at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But we've seen Dak play from behind and win games. We had no business winning that Seahawks game and honestly if not for that loss Seahawks might make the post season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh I agree but you would think even teams with an average running attack would come into a game against us with every intent to run early, run often & with a plan to exploit our lack of strength in the middle & lack of discipline in maintaining gap responsibilities.

A team like Baltimore with the addition of Henry could be well poised to go run heavy this year to exploit a lot of D's in the league.
Baltimore has a history of running the football and stopping the run. Smash mouth football and it works late in the season and in the playoffs.

That is how you win a SB with Trent Dilfer. It may not be sexy, but it is effective.