Twitter: Scott Pioli, former NFL GM, three major consequences of 2021 projected cap decrease

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Jimmy, not Jerry

Obviously you didn't see the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas where there was a round table with Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, The Moose, Johnson and Jones where Johnson admitted in front of millions of people that he didn't have all the power and authority those outside of the organization thought he had. He said it really irked him his entire time in Dallas to have to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to decide.

Those early post-Jimmy years the draft results were extremely poor. No need to re-sign guys lie Shante Carver and Dwayne Goodrich when they were out of the league before their first contract expired.

Nobody has ever said that the Cowboys didn't have some bad drafts but that doesn't change the fact that they had no cap room to sign any top tier free agents.

No such thing as 20 years of cap issues due to contracts from the Super Bowl years. AT most. a bad cap contract impacts a team for 3 years. It was several bad contract decisions for several years. This idea that the Cowboys were in 20 years of cap hell from the 92,93, and 95 Super bowl teams is simply not true.

You also obviously didn't understand how much the Cowboys were over the cap when it started and how many contracts they had to renegotiate that added dead money just to sign core players and their draft choices. This vicious cycle went on for 20 years.

Terrell Owens, Brandon Carr, Greg Hardy? Not to mention the huge new deals they gave to Joey Galloway and Roy WIlliams when tehy acquired them.

And all the contracts they had to renegotiate to have the cap space to sign them. Again more dead money added in future years.

Restructuring is a relatively new cap workaround and several teams are utilizing it. We didn't restructure 20 years ago. We overpaid (typically huge signing bonuses) our players and the end of their contracts were too high versus the caliber of player they were at that point.

Hey restructuring IS RENEGOTIATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's renegotiating because both the team and the player have to agree to it.

The Cowboys really like this newer strategy and have signed several contracts recently designed to be restructured (Tyron Smith, Amari Cooper are prime examples).

Again restructuring is RENEGOTIATING!!!!!!!

You're confusing possible outs of contracts with little dead money for times when they can renegotiate the contract. Even spotrac lists it as potential out.

Amari Cooper's 2021 contract is a $22M cap hit, $20M of which is his base salary and guaranteed. There is zero chance that contract will not be restructured to free up cap room. Of course the player will agree to it, because he will get most of that $20M guaranteed all at once in March versus divided up over 17 weeks from September to December. In the end he's still getting $20M next year, he just gets more of it earlier. This is why both the Cowboys and the players they sign like the restructure,

Cooper's contract is 20 mil for 2021, 2022, 2022 and 2024. 2021 and 2022 are fully guaranteed The Cowboys have an out after next season with only having to cover the remaining 6 mil from his original signing bonus. The Cowboys will pay the 20 mil next season and not give up their chance for an out if then they choose to use it.

You've proven you know very little about what you're TRYING to talk about.

Click on you comment to see all of the relies.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
My dude.. roflmao...
France went to Athletes First. They had the most first and second rounders last year, breaking an NFL draft record.
He didn't handle it poorly.
Stephen Jones has a rep of playing hardball and trying to flex guys into bad deals.
EVERYONE IN THE UNIVERSE knew Stephen had zero leverage it showed.

Who is Dak's agent now?

Yes France went there AFTER getting fired by CAA because how he didn't negotiate Prescott's contract. m France went to Athletes First AFTER the season had already started and he had ZERO to do with anything Athletes First did last year.

ESisback

Reaction score
that strategy will make the irs very happy as they swoop down and take more of a third of your money.

How would they get it? If I had 31million, I’d buy land and build a self sustaining compound. Then I’d hide a million in cash (coffee cans in the yard?), another million or so in the bank to pay taxes; a million in stocks, silver, gold, and a majority stake in a business. Insulate myself quickly. If the bloodsuckers DID get my money, at least I’d have my coffee cans...

Besides, if the *******s DID steal a third, I’d still have 18-20, which is CRAPLOAD more than most of us have now!✊

cern

Reaction score
How would they get it? If I had 31million, I’d buy land and build a self sustaining compound. Then I’d hide a million in cash (coffee cans in the yard?), another million or so in the bank to pay taxes; a million in stocks, silver, gold, and a majority stake in a business. Insulate myself quickly. If the bloodsuckers DID get my money, at least I’d have my coffee cans...

Besides, if the *******s DID steal a third, I’d still have 18-20, which is CRAPLOAD more than most of us have now!✊
the income would be reported by whoever paid it. if you didn't pay taxes, they'd move in and take everything away from you. but surely you jest.

cern

Reaction score
Cooper's contract is 20 mil for 2021, 2022, 2022 and 2024. 2021 and 2022 are fully guaranteed The Cowboys have an out after next season with only having to cover the remaining 6 mil from his original signing bonus. The Cowboys will pay the 20 mil next season and not give up their chance for an out if then they choose to use it.

Click on you comment to see all of the relies.
cooper and zeke deals were both cleverly written.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That’s all well and good, but a lot of people are dealing with a tiny FRACTION of that money, and are totally freaked about potential disasters awaiting us economically.

I agree that the FO fumbled the ball. They should have extended him earlier, but the picture keeps changing, especially this past year.

75% of 12.50 an hour is one thing. 75% of 40 million is quite another. Tough times will make most people place less importance on pride. There’s ALWAYS gonna be less talented or deserving people making less—life’s not fair, but if I had a choice between 33.5 million a year plus endorsements in a tax free state playing ball for America’s Team...
The reality has never shifted.
NFL will make more money than ever before in 2023/4. The new streaming deals will be MASSIVE.
The current Stock Market is at it's highest point; hitting the one day record a week ago.
There was always going to be a 1 year shortfall and they were always going to have to suck it up.
The vaccine was approved in the UK today. It'll be readily available before next NFL season in the US.
Smart teams could find a creative way to offer advanced Christmas packages for 2021 to boost 2020Q4 revenue.

NFL players who have to worry about this are the mid level guys hoping to get paid in the next 12-18 months.
Those kinds of players very well may get squeezed.
But it won't be front line stars. Guys that move needles for a team and brand will get paid even MORE.
AS they have for the last 10 months.
Teams aren't going to spend less knowing a full recovery is likely than they did looking at a 50% drop in revenue.

We had all these NFL is falling apart threads before a number of market setting deals were signed.
We just happen to be in a portion of the year where deals can't be signed.

NFL owners are vultures. Rich, smart owners will gladly scoop off players from cheap, scared owners.
NFL players are insanely rare commodities and none so rare as a franchise QB where 12-15 guys in the entire world may qualify at a time and 32 teams need one.

ESisback

Reaction score
the income would be reported by whoever paid it. if you didn't pay taxes, they'd move in and take everything away from you. but surely you jest.

Well, all except the part that I’d be happy AND fixed for life!

Can’t stop the monsters from being what they are, but I CAN be happy within my own little universe!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Don't forget about tax free bonds, etc. There are plenty of ways to invest your money so that Uncle Sam doesn't grab a big chunk of it....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Ha. Okay.
2021 and 2022 are fully guaranteed
2022 is not guaranteed until the 5th day of the 2022 NFL calendar.

But please tell me again how I'm wrong,

Restructuring is not RENEGOTIATING!!!!!!! no matter how many times you type it or whether or not you type it in bold.

It is literally in the name of the word being used. Structure. It is taking money the player already has coming and restructuring the time and manner in which they receive it.

You might want to really think about things before you type them and reveal to the world how very little you actually understand.

I'm here to help you buddy.

ESisback

Reaction score
The reality has never shifted.
NFL will make more money than ever before in 2023/4. The new streaming deals will be MASSIVE.
The current Stock Market is at it's highest point; hitting the one day record a week ago.
There was always going to be a 1 year shortfall and they were always going to have to suck it up.
The vaccine was approved in the UK today. It'll be readily available before next NFL season in the US.
Smart teams could find a creative way to offer advanced Christmas packages for 2021 to boost 2020Q4 revenue.

NFL players who have to worry about this are the mid level guys hoping to get paid in the next 12-18 months.
Those kinds of players very well may get squeezed.
But it won't be front line stars. Guys that move needles for a team and brand will get paid even MORE.
AS they have for the last 10 months.
Teams aren't going to spend less knowing a full recovery is likely than they did looking at a 50% drop in revenue.

We had all these NFL is falling apart threads before a number of market setting deals were signed.
We just happen to be in a portion of the year where deals can't be signed.

NFL owners are vultures. Rich, smart owners will gladly scoop off players from cheap, scared owners.
NFL players are insanely rare commodities and none so rare as a franchise QB where 12-15 guys in the entire world may qualify at a time and 32 teams need one.

I understand preparation, but the “economic reset” some are forecasting could change all the rules!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
cooper and zeke deals were both cleverly written.
Zeke's deal was literally written by the agent.

It guarantees Dallas pays him to leave anytime before 2023. A RB with 50M GTD isn't clever except for the RB.
Zeke's 2021 salary is already fully GTD.
2022 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (injury guaranteed now).
Zeke is 2nd in RB money in cash, AAV and cap hit.

Cooper's deal is pretty straight-forward and makes DAL bailing easier but he got top of WR market money yearly as long as he is around
BUT DAL likely flips Cooper's deal and restructures it this off-season to lower his massive 22m cap hit.
Zero reason to pay him a 20m base 9already fully guaranteed) in a tight cap year.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
BUT DAL likely flips Cooper's deal and restructures it this off-season to lower his massive 22m cap hit.
Zero reason to pay him a 20m base 9already fully guaranteed) in a tight cap year.
Exactly right.

Throw in our history (think La'el Collins) and the fact that Cooper turned down more money elsewhere, and I can almost guarantee Jerry assured him that restructuring (with yearly restructuring "bonuses") were promised.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I understand preparation, but the “economic reset” some are forecasting could change all the rules!
There won't be a financial reset as it is described.
There will be a financial shift.
That has largely already happened over time.
More online, international shopping, less brick and mortar.
All markets shift and new ideas that offer convenience (especially when coupled with value)win out.

In all these things the key is being too big to fail.
The NFL is.
Is it possible an owner or two feels need to sell a team? Sure.
Will those sales be at fire-sell prices? LOL. NO!

Put bluntly, I don’t see any reason why there would be any Global Currency Reset coming any time soon. The US economy is too big to fail.

Especially because it’s not just the US that has massive debt, but almost every major modern economy out there. The Japanese government has much higher debt relative ot it's GDP than the US, for example.

It’s also worth mentioning that the US is indebted in a currency that it has a sole monopoly to print at its own discretion. Hence, it doesn’t have the problem of emerging market economies that may occasionally have debts in dollars but have no means of getting access to them.

Without credit, a modern economy grinds to a halt – it simply can’t support anything beyond the barest of industries.

As such, if one day everyone cashes in their chips and the US dollar tumbles, it’ll take most major economies with it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly right.

Throw in our history (think La'el Collins) and the fact that Cooper turned down more money elsewhere, and I can almost guarantee Jerry assured him that restructuring (with yearly restructuring "bonuses") were promised.
Even if not promised it doesn't matter.
DAL can only choose how to have it hit the cap, it's all Cooper's money already anyway.

Creeper

Reaction score
I still believe the NFL and the NFLPA will do something if the CAP drops $22 million. The players will argue, they could have all opted out altogether leaving the NFL with no season so they will not accept a decrease in salaries because they agreed to play the season out risking the health of themselves and their families.

If it plays out as Pioli suggest, the problem is not just veteran players getting cut, it is also veteran players who can't get signed because no one has the CAP room to sign them. There are only a handful of teams that can sustain a $22 million decrease in the cap. It's not just the amount of CAP space projected in 2021, it is also the number of players signed. The Bucs had $31 million projected for 2021, but only 30 players signed. Signing 21 players with $31 million is not going to be easy if they try to add a few high priced veterans.

Regardless of what the CBA says, the two side can and probably will sign some kind of addendum to either reduce the impact of a lowered cap.

I could be totally FOS, but I just don't see how doing nothings ends in a serious season for the NFL. 2020 is bad enough, why make a mess of 2021 too?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
DAL can only choose how to have it hit the cap, it's all Cooper's money already anyway.
Yep.

Another poster in this thread is struggling with this concept. Restructuring only changes when the money is paid, not how much is paid. The negative is that it is kicking the can down the road some because it adds prorated bonus hit (cap room) to future years. Cooper is getting $20 M next year no matter what. Cowboys just have the ability to change how it impacts the 2021 salary cap.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I still believe the NFL and the NFLPA will do something if the CAP drops $22 million. The players will argue, they could have all opted out altogether leaving the NFL with no season so they will not accept a decrease in salaries because they agreed to play the season out risking the health of themselves and their families.

If it plays out as Pioli suggest, the problem is not just veteran players getting cut, it is also veteran players who can't get signed because no one has the CAP room to sign them. There are only a handful of teams that can sustain a $22 million decrease in the cap. It's not just the amount of CAP space projected in 2021, it is also the number of players signed. The Bucs had $31 million projected for 2021, but only 30 players signed. Signing 21 players with $31 million is not going to be easy if they try to add a few high priced veterans.

Regardless of what the CBA says, the two side can and probably will sign some kind of addendum to either reduce the impact of a lowered cap.

I could be totally FOS, but I just don't see how doing nothings ends in a serious season for the NFL. 2020 is bad enough, why make a mess of 2021 too?
The league already put in a floor on the cap.
And that was based on 100% of teams having zero fans.
It is being suggested the cap will be the floor or worst case scenario.
Realistically, this will be adjusted and spread over multiple seasons.

The cap likely won't have to be defined before a vaccine is in widespread use.
Like everything involving NFL versus NFLPA the stuff you see out of NFL will be dire but NFLPA will be the opposite.
Answers as always will be in the middle.

Keep in mind currently Scott Pioli works for the NFL as an NFL analyst on the NFL network.
He is likely very NFL leaning.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yep.

Another poster in this thread is struggling with this concept. Restructuring only changes when the money is paid, not how much is paid. The negative is that it is kicking the can down the road some because it adds prorated bonus hit (cap room) to future years. Cooper is getting $20 M next year no matter what. Cowboys just have the ability to change how it impacts the 2021 salary cap.
I have always hated can kicking but the time to do it is when you are nearly certain the cap will rise by a large mount as it will in 2023/4.
Could see the cap go from like 190M in 2021 to 325M by 2024.
The teams that this will abuse are ones who already risked it all and dumped restructured money on restructured money.

It is really just the Saints and Eagles who will bleed.
Other teams will just get bruised.

Brax

Reaction score
Again, this is dumb.
A team could then have built any number of poison pills into the deal and made it nearly impossible or stomach revolting to match.
A franchise QB has NEVER been on non-exclusive franchise tag in NFL history.
The move would have saved approximately 4M and removed the entire reason he was tagged in the first place, total team control.
Dallas would have lost all leverage and Dak's agent would then had been free to go get someone to give Dak a deal that burned Dallas alive.
Two first round picks don't mean much if they are for a team drafting in the late 20s.
Two firsts for a QB who has done nothing and is coming of a major injury is bad, that's just plain stupid to even say, and you know the picks will be in the 20s, you embarrass yourself with this kind of drivel. The main Idea is to lower his $$$ cap hit , there isn't any team giving 2 firsts for Dak the objective is to lower his cost especially coming of his injury. Your problem is you are a Dak fan and couldn't care less what the team is as long as Dak is the QB. Dak isn't a game changing QB and isn't getting a poison pill type offer those type of offers are for game changing players not a average good NFL QB. You fantasy Dak fans are off the deep end.