Twitter: Scott Pioli, former NFL GM, three major consequences of 2021 projected cap decrease

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I hate when folks like you outright lie and spin what was said, Dak was never a FA because he was tagged, I never said anything about him other than he is coming off a major injury, as for his stats Ls don’t mean much to me but I agree Dak did good in soft time even Jerry understands that, so what, you do know he doesn’t get to play bum Ds every game, so just stop with soft stats Dak. I never said anything bad about Dak or untrue, but like so many Dak worshippers you become unhinged and seem to have a lack of reading skills when one looks at Dak as anything other than elite and elite he is not and that is a true fact.

AGAIN you proved that you know little about what you're trying to talk about. The list of the ranking of the players who will become free agents comes out a month BEFORE free agency starts and BEFORE any player is tagged. Players usually don't get tagged until the day before free agency starts.

Prescott haters like you keep trying to stress his injury as if it going to be a major thing next season when the doctors that are actually treating him have say that not only will it not affect him next year but that he's ahead of schedule on rehabbing it.

fansince68

Reaction score
I might be remembering wrong, but didn't the Cowboys just open up a ton of cap room in 2021 last summer by restructuring D-Law, Zack Martin, and Tyron Smith's contracts? Might be the only smart move they made this past offseason in anticipation of this.
The Irony, all three are either injured or fighting to get back to pre mammoth deal performance levels.

Brax

Reaction score
AGAIN you proved that you know little about what you're trying to talk about. The list of the ranking of the players who will become free agents comes out a month BEFORE free agency starts and BEFORE any player is tagged. Players usually don't get tagged until the day before free agency starts.

Prescott haters like you keep trying to stress his injury as if it going to be a major thing next season when the doctors that are actually treating him have say that not only will it not affect him next year but that he's ahead of schedule on rehabbing it.
You do know the list (and there are many of them) is conjecture and Dak never became a free agent so it is like you trying to make a case Dak is elite it's just talk. You do know a FA is free to talk and negotiate with any and all teams. Dak could only negotiate with 1 just so your simple mind understands that is not a free agent, also just for your simple mind Dak isn't a free agent this year if Dallas tags him again. As for what the Dr says, did you talk to him, post his statement saying Dak will be 100% with no problems or change in his game next year. I didn't say Dak wouldn't recover I said no team is giving up 2 firsts for a player coming off a major injury, but to you a dislocated ankle with 2 broken bones and at least one a compound fracture with 2 plates and many screws inserted isn't a big deal and GMs will be lining up for what many view as no more than a good QB, there is only 1 GM that stupid and we all know who that is. You would give up 2 firsts for him right, so that is love not your brain thinking Your view is plain stupidity. Dak will in all likelihood be here next year only because Dallas has the worse and most ignorant GM in football, much like you and many others who believe Dak is anything other than a good QB and Dallas will pay the price in mediocracy and wasted cap $$$ that you so cherish while worshiping your hero and his soft stats.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
lord help us alll on this forum.....

Dallas has 3 options with Dak,

1. Allow him to hit unrestricted free agency where he becomes the league's most coveted free agent. 1 overall, easily.
2. Tag him in a few different ways but all at very costly cap hits in a reduced cap season.
3. Sign him long term where they can manage the early cap hits, freeing up considerable space versus tags.

ALL of those options ensure Dak makes 35M PLUS in 2021 without throwing a single pass between now and when he signs.

The benefit of a long-term deal is for Dallas, not Dak.
Dak gets richer as each day passes because the QB market price only goes up.
It's literally never dropped since the invention of the salary cap. EVER.

The reality is Dak will have 100m guaranteed within 6 months and people here will be confused and/or pretend they didn't have these utterly stupid takes.

This is a good post.......but one thing for sure. IF they can't get a deal done and he plays on a 2nd tag, he's probably gone after 2021. The 2nd tag would leave Dallas with NO LEVERAGE, none! They's have 2 options.......3rd tag in the range of $55M or pay him whatever the hell he wants. I remember Cousin was so pizzed ( mostly Bruce Allen) by the 3rd tag, that he refused to either consider any of their offers.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Restructuring and renegotiating aren't mutually exclusive terms. Negotiation is simply defined as "discussion aimed at reaching an agreement." Neither the player or the team can restructure a contract unilaterally, they both have to agree to it, they have to "discuss" it, which is in part "negotiation"

Aren't there more important things here than arguing about semantics?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is a good post.......but one thing for sure. IF they can't get a deal done and he plays on a 2nd tag, he's probably gone after 2021. The 2nd tag would leave Dallas with NO LEVERAGE, none! They's have 2 options.......3rd tag in the range of $55M or pay him whatever the hell he wants. I remember Cousin was so pizzed ( mostly Bruce Allen) by the 3rd tag, that he refused to either consider any of their offers.

But if he plays on the 2nd tag and doesn't play well, or again gets a significant injury, Dallas would have some leverage, as the number of teams that would pay big time for Dak would very likely drop significantly.

Can't agree with the "no" leverage part of your quote...

Philmonroe

Reaction score
But I heard it right here that because they didn't sign him long term yet they are going to let him go. I mean we have some real geniuses' here right?
You're not in the position to worry about who is and isn't geniuses smh. History shows what happens to qb's who actually play on the franchise tag. They don't resign with the team that tagged them "genius"

starfan1

Reaction score
You're not in the position to worry about who is and isn't geniuses smh. History shows what happens to qb's who actually play on the franchise tag. They don't resign with the team that tagged them "genius"
Youre right and the GM has said the deal will get done pretty much every outlet I listen to except the zone and its band of deniers know its going to get done. But remember this post and if Im wrong you can come back and tell me so.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Youre right and the GM has said the deal will get done pretty much every outlet except the zone and its band of deniers know its going to get done. But remember this post and if Im wrong you can come back and tell me so.
Yeah so you're one of these "geniuses" that believes words instead of actual actions when they benefit you I see. Using your smooth brain logic nobody ever lies and what they say is exactly what they will do every expletive time? And some people say no child left behind lol.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yeah so you're one of these "geniuses" that believes words instead of actual actions when they benefit you I see. Using your smooth brain logic nobody ever lies and what they say is exactly what they will do every expletive time? And some people say no child left behind lol.

and you're one of those "geniuses" that want to move on from dak so bad that you'll find any argument to support you're stance. I got a meeting later!

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He was greedy and he gambled and lost but I hope you and others aren’t happy he got hurt....he seems like a very good guy that just got some really bad advice from his agent
Everybody we don't know seems like a good guy to be honest. I don't know why you mention that like it has relevance to the discussion.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
and you're one of those "geniuses" that want to move on from dak so bad that you'll find any argument to support you're stance. I got a meeting later!
Show this proof I want to move on from Dak so bad? I'm tired of,you liars on here just using emotional lazy talking points with no,proof. I've said what I said about him he's an average stat padding qb that some think is some Mahomes level QB. If they sign him long term it is what it is even though I think we won't win because he's Kirk Cousins of the Cowboys. Until they do though I will hope they don't sign him. That isn't the ill use any argument smooth brain take you just made. The truth is the truth no QB that's played on the franchise tag has stay with the team that tagged them. Go look for,articles of the Football,team saying they were going to sign Cousins long term and get back to me about your what Jerry said talk.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DAL has to realize this and make the deal and cut the check.
They've dug this hole and have to dig out of it.
Even if they don't think he's the guy long-term they still need to sign him and THEN trade him just to maximize resources.
A comp pick at the bottom of r3 is trash compensation for a top 10 NFL QB.

This is where Stephen needs to go away and let Daddy handle it. Jerry has flaws but a couple glasses of JW Blue and he'd have Dak signed for 5 years.
Stephen is new school business executive where Jerry is old school snake oil salesman.

I gotta feeling we are gonna miss that charm when Jerry is gone.

Jipper

Reaction score
Everybody we don't know seems like a good guy to be honest. I don't know why you mention that like it has relevance to the discussion.

well excuse me, i didn't know you were the relevance police on what is allowed in discussions. I will make sure to clear my points with you going forward.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But if he plays on the 2nd tag and doesn't play well, or again gets a significant injury, Dallas would have some leverage, as the number of teams that would pay big time for Dak would very likely drop significantly.

Can't agree with the "no" leverage part of your quote...
He's right.
What Dak does won't matter as far as leverage only in final dollars wherever he ends up.
He could sit out the year injured, wouldn't matter.

It is still Free agency, tag, signed contract.
Leverage is gone regardless.

Cowboys fans have this weird understanding of how things work.
It is very straight-forward.
The teams rights end at season's end. To retain those rights they only 2 options. Sign him or tag him.
Otherwise he is free to explore deals with all NFL teams and can sign the one, the deal, he likes the best.
All he has to do is convince one NFL team he can lead them to a title and he will get insane money.
NFL QBs are VERY hard to find and you give a Dak to someone like BillyB and it is over.
NFL teams get the value of a QB and if ALL it costs is money they will be all over it.
A lot of good NFL teams like Pitt/NE/NO are looking for a walk in 5-7 year guy to keep the train rolling.
A lot of bad NFL teams are looking for hope, a jersey seller and NFL relevancy.
A team being able to burn ZERO draft capital and just walk away with a proven plus starter is like winning the actual lottery.
Signing a guy to big money isn't hard to cap massage. You can sign a guy to a 100M SB and only eat 20M year 1.
And it's even easier to give him 100M GTD by paying 30M 3 times in signing/roster bonuses and stretching EACH hit over an added 5th year. So that you eat only 6-7M each actual cap season.
While that adds up even in year you are only eating 22-25M not 37M.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
5 years and 175-185 mil IS real money
yes, no one says its not....4 year 50mill is real money. 3 year 24 M is real money. 10 year 500M is real money....2 year 20M is real money....its not about it being real money or not...its "relative" to the rest of the league in how the market is set. you can't compare in a vaccum.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
well excuse me, i didn't know you were the relevance police on what is allowed in discussions. I will make sure to clear my points with you going forward.
Emotions emotions emotions. Y'all really take this Internet stuff toooooo serious. I just think its a stupid thing to say when you don't know people just because they play a sport and or famous. All the sarcasm isn't necessary but I guess you felt attacked and wanted to reply. Ok hope you feel better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Exactly zero of what you type is true in any sense.

It is painful to read this type of sheer stupidity.
This has to be trolling because no one can just be this level of unchecked remedial.

The Broncos received two first-round picks, a third and Kyle Orton for Jay friggin Cutler.
Carson Palmer after demanding a trade was traded for a 1st and a 2nd round pick.
Matt Schaub garnered a swap of R1s and two second round picks as a non-starter in ATL.

Or unknown kids at tops of drafts:
Philadelphia Eagles
Two 1st round picks (including #8), one 2nd round pick, one 3rd round pick, and a swap of a 2016 4th rounder for a 2017 4th rounder.

Los Angeles Rams
Two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and two 3rd round picks (sent back 4th and 6th rounders).

Washington Commanders
Three 1st round picks (including #6) and one 2nd round pick.

Trying to argue Dak isn't worth two 1st rounders is just offensively stupid. Carson Wentz has been uber trash this year and is worth two 1st rounders.
Average starting NFL QBs are insanely valuable.
Young, starting QBs who've won over 50% of their games and put up large passing totals?
It's nearly impossible to define because teams don't trade those guys.
Exactly 0 QBs have had the passing yardage total Dak did in 2019 then get traded in 18 months.

Allowing OTHER teams and Dak's agent to control where Dak plays and the draft picks given up would AT LEAST be the most stupid QB decision since WAS let Kirk Cousins walk for 0. And more likely since the Chargers pulled the franchise tag off Drew Brees and lost him for nothing. I'll wait while you check the lack of success WAS and SD had after those moves.

Poison pills.... Nate friggin Burleson had a poison pill contract. Offensive Guard Steve Hutchinson, Curtis Martin.
An average NFL starting QB is FAR more valuable than any of those guys.

In fairness many prior poison pill examples are now illegal but it's absolutely legal to structure in ways that make matching nearly impossible.
this was a great, thoughtful response without emotions....the problem with a lot of dak detractors is they just hate the $ amounts and over time have become emotionally against Dak. when asked to provide alternatives, they flail. when asked how Dak's contract would stop us from signing FAs, they flail. when asked what FAs that would make a difference were available that we couldn't sign they flail. their latest motto is that we can't build defense if we sign Dak, yet they fail to provide one example of a team that was built through FA and succeeded. they just are emotionally invested and angry towards the numbers....they blame Dak for all the losses, yet credit the OL, WRs, even coaching for the wins. when asked if wins/losses are all attributed to the QB, they stay silent, because they know it leads to a losing argument for them.

I just find it fascinating that its gone from a football discussion to almost personal for these dak detractos, people like poppydog, khiladi seem they have a personal vendetta against Dak, like he has done them wrong in life and they want to get even. the hatred is just astounding.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You do know the list (and there are many of them) is conjecture and Dak never became a free agent so it is like you trying to make a case Dak is elite it's just talk. You do know a FA is free to talk and negotiate with any and all teams. Dak could only negotiate with 1 just so your simple mind understands that is not a free agent, also just for your simple mind Dak isn't a free agent this year if Dallas tags him again. As for what the Dr says, did you talk to him, post his statement saying Dak will be 100% with no problems or change in his game next year. I didn't say Dak wouldn't recover I said no team is giving up 2 firsts for a player coming off a major injury, but to you a dislocated ankle with 2 broken bones and at least one a compound fracture with 2 plates and many screws inserted isn't a big deal and GMs will be lining up for what many view as no more than a good QB, there is only 1 GM that stupid and we all know who that is. You would give up 2 firsts for him right, so that is love not your brain thinking Your view is plain stupidity. Dak will in all likelihood be here next year only because Dallas has the worse and most ignorant GM in football, much like you and many others who believe Dak is anything other than a good QB and Dallas will pay the price in mediocracy and wasted cap $$$ that you so cherish while worshiping your hero and his soft stats.

I know simple concepts are extremely hard for you to grasp but I'll try one more time. The list of up coming free agents made before free agency starts ranks them by importance and ability. The rankings that most go by is the one that is on NFL every year and on that ranking Prescott was ranked #1. He was ranked with all the other up coming free agents because it was created LONG before ANY tags was issued. They don't rank just average players as the #1 free agent going into free agency. Now Prescott did have a bad injury but unlike the Prescott haters who try to make it sound like his ankle will never heal, the actual doctors and trainers who are caring for Prescott not only say he'll be good to go for next season, they also say he's ahead of schedule in his rehab.

It's extremely hard for the Prescott haters to have to see, read and hear that Prescott started setting NFL records starting in his rookie year and has set more NFL records since then because just average QB don't do that. Here's the funny thing and this time it is ha ha funny, that unlike the Prescott haters, after his injury so many players and coaches from around the league tweeted messages of how sorry the injury happened and/or saying he'll be back next season.

Now I don't get why you're so hung up on those two 1st round picks because the Cowboys if they don't get a long term deal done before free agency starts is not going to tag him with the non-exclusive tag and they won't be trying to trade him.

Now Prescott's cap hit next year won't be anywhere close as hard on the cap as the Prescott haters want to paint it because of what the Cowboys are doing now. Normally a team can only carryover 5% of a years cap amount to the next year but the owners have made an exception for just this season and teams can carryover unlimited amount of money to next year and the Cowboys will be carrying over about 25 mil. Now back on July 15th in the final hour or so of time to get contracts done for players who were tagged, Prescott was doing his own negotiating and they agreed on a 35 mil a year contract but didn't get the guaranteed amount done before the deadline. So taking that 25 mil carryover and subtracting that from the 35 mil contract that leaves only 10 mil that comes off of next years cap for Prescott.

It is always so easy to dispute the Prescott haters garbage they try to push.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
this was a great, thoughtful response without emotions....the problem with a lot of dak detractors is they just hate the $ amounts and over time have become emotionally against Dak. when asked to provide alternatives, they flail. when asked how Dak's contract would stop us from signing FAs, they flail. when asked what FAs that would make a difference were available that we couldn't sign they flail. their latest motto is that we can't build defense if we sign Dak, yet they fail to provide one example of a team that was built through FA and succeeded. they just are emotionally invested and angry towards the numbers....they blame Dak for all the losses, yet credit the OL, WRs, even coaching for the wins. when asked if wins/losses are all attributed to the QB, they stay silent, because they know it leads to a losing argument for them.

I just find it fascinating that its gone from a football discussion to almost personal for these dak detractos, people like poppydog, khiladi seem they have a personal vendetta against Dak, like he has done them wrong in life and they want to get even. the hatred is just astounding.
That's not how alternatives go tbh. If you know something is wrong or isn't right for you you don't say well I'll wait until I have the perfect answer then make a move smh. Using the logic some of y'all use it tells so much about y'all its not even funny. All this stupid talk you say about Dak "haters" can be said about Dak "worshippers". Like most thing its just what side of the expletive coin you're on. You're on the worshipper coin so you overlook the same exact stupid stuff you complain about the Dak "haters". Everybody is funny smh thinking they're soooo above it on either side.