Scout: I'd hate to be team in need of QB in 2016 NFL Draft

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
nope.......west coast offense

This article http://seahawksdraftblog.com/thoughts-on-jared-goff-carson-wentz mentioned read-option. That's why I said that. I haven't watched any NDSU games to verify. But he does have a lot of rushing yards. Here's the specific paragraph that mentions it:

"He’s 6-6 and 235lbs but runs the read-option. Like Goff he’s a surprisingly nimble runner and the QB-keeper is a regular feature in the NDS offense. There’s an awful lot to like about his throwing style — again it’s very natural. He has a good arm, throws with touch when necessary and makes a lot of plays."

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Roethlisberger went to the powerhouse of Miami of Ohio and started right away and was an instant success. Flacco went to the powerhouse of Delaware and started right away.

I wouldn't want to start any QB right away if I didn't have to. But, it's not like Memphis plays a light schedule and it's not like other QB's haven't done well.

YR

Good comparison, Big Ben was not supposed to start immediately, but the starter got injured early in the year which forced Ben to start. That is what I see happening here, I don't see Romo playing a full season anymore, and the Rook can step in when he get's injured. If Romo makes it through the season, the rook is gaining some valuable knowledge from one of the best.

Maddox's injury changed the Steelers' original plan for Roethlisberger, which was for him to sit on the bench or play sparingly during the first season or two in order to learn the team's system. Instead, he started the third game of the season.

Last edited:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
That's funny, that's the 2 guys Paxton Lynch has been compared to.

He's much more mobile than either of them. Much more. He throws on the run as well as Roethlisberger used to. I think he has a better arm than Roethlisberger, but not Flacco (his is ungodly). He's got some mechanics to clean up. His delivery gets a little too long on the deeper throws and he can't quite get enough air under those deep throws.

But, I think he's a huge problem in defending the short passes. He is so tall and has such a quick release, so he can see over his linemen and deliver the ball lightning quick to his receivers. Try and stop that with man coverage and he'll beat you with his feet.

YR

sbark

Reaction score
This article http://seahawksdraftblog.com/thoughts-on-jared-goff-carson-wentz mentioned read-option. That's why I said that. I haven't watched any NDSU games to verify. But he does have a lot of rushing yards. Here's the specific paragraph that mentions it:

"He’s 6-6 and 235lbs but runs the read-option. Like Goff he’s a surprisingly nimble runner and the QB-keeper is a regular feature in the NDS offense. There’s an awful lot to like about his throwing style — again it’s very natural. He has a good arm, throws with touch when necessary and makes a lot of plays."

I'd have to say they run the WCO like the Steve Young 49rs used to.........QB runs add extra pressure on a defense. Brock Jenson ran it a lot, Wentz as you point out, and Freshman redshirt QB E.Stick faster and niftier than both of the above, Big Game at the Bison dome this weekend on EsPN 3 at home vrs. Montana, who beat the Bison at Mont in season opener 35--38. Got tickets baby --perks of Teammaker donations :)
put that name Easton Stick under the brim of your hat for 4 years from now.....he'll get a chance to play on Sundays also....

Macnalty

Reaction score
That's a wrap guys. One anonymous scout has spoken, no drafting a qb.

It's lacking in top talent, but full of depth. At this point I'd say draft 2013 is about the right comparison, but it could easily end up worse. Honestly, a little early to fully judge draft 2013. Lots of guys don't blossom until years 3 or 4, which is precisely what would happen with the majority of the 2015 crop. See Tyrod Taylor, who was a 6th rounder in 2011 but never even got a chance at anything until 2015 with the Bills.
Every draft has developmental talent. Most drafts have 10-15 QB's taken, and last year was a bit of an aberration with only 7. While there's certainly nothing like J Winston this year, and nothing even close to Mariota. If you're willing to take a chance and actually develop guys a bit, though, there's a lot of guys to be interested in. Goff, Lynch, Kiel, Hackenberg, Wentz, and possibly Trevone Boykin, Cardale Jones, and Jacoby Brissett could all go in the first three to four rounds. They all could potentially develop into competent starters or good backups ( 2015 Cowboys know how valuable a good backup is), but each have issues that will likely require a year or two of old-school sit-and-learn development before they're ready to take on NFL defenses(cowboy fans just love this scenario.)
That said, the 2017 QB class... wow franchise talent ... Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Brad Kaaya, and Malik Zaire... remember these names.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It is incredibly difficult to predict how a certain class will look down the road.

Oh, well 2017 should be the right year. We will pick our guy then.

At this time just a year ago, QBs like Cardale Jones, Gunner Kiel, Kevin Hogan, Dak Prescott and Cody Kessler were viewed as the top, while players like Lynch were not even talked about.

True.

You never really know which class will produce the quality guys.

Probably the hardest position in all of football to get the right guy in the draft.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Eastern Illinois University is known as 'QB U'. So glad we weren't too scared to turn THAT card in.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but the two top guys look like fringe first rounders. There are too many potential impact defensive starters in the first round to overreact and reach for a quarterback.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
It's lacking in top talent, but full of depth. At this point I'd say draft 2013 is about the right comparison, but it could easily end up worse. Honestly, a little early to fully judge draft 2013. Lots of guys don't blossom until years 3 or 4, which is precisely what would happen with the majority of the 2015 crop. See Tyrod Taylor, who was a 6th rounder in 2011 but never even got a chance at anything until 2015 with the Bills.
Every draft has developmental talent. Most drafts have 10-15 QB's taken, and last year was a bit of an aberration with only 7. While there's certainly nothing like J Winston this year, and nothing even close to Mariota. If you're willing to take a chance and actually develop guys a bit, though, there's a lot of guys to be interested in. Goff, Lynch, Kiel, Hackenberg, Wentz, and possibly Trevone Boykin, Cardale Jones, and Jacoby Brissett could all go in the first three to four rounds. They all could potentially develop into competent starters or good backups ( 2015 Cowboys know how valuable a good backup is), but each have issues that will likely require a year or two of old-school sit-and-learn development before they're ready to take on NFL defenses(cowboy fans just love this scenario.)
That said, the 2017 QB class... wow franchise talent ... Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Brad Kaaya, and Malik Zaire... remember these names.

Appreciate the opinion.

reddyuta

Reaction score

I like Mahomes.Kaaya is a question mark and he has to improve a lot.I am not really interested in the other 2.Imo 2017 is a wash compared to next year when it comes to QBs.remember we all thought Cardale Jones would be a sure fire forst Rder with another year at OSU but his accuracy issues were magnified and he lost his job.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I like Mahomes.Kaaya is a question mark and he has to improve a lot.I am not really interested in the other 2.Imo 2017 is a wash compared to next year when it comes to QBs.remember we all thought Cardale Jones would be a sure fire forst Rder with another year at OSU but his accuracy issues were magnified and he lost his job.

True but the 2017 QB talent data that is out there now looks much more promising than the Goff/Lynch/Cook projects. I was never on that Cardale Jones train but could see his appeal, would take a later round flyer on him.
Time to get excited about Joey Bosa(my take for best talent in draft),Vernon Hargreaves III, Jalen Ramsey, and Robert Nkemdiche for this next draft we have a real shot with each one. No one is getting mad about taking one of these guys unless some off field incidents occur.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Looking at the free agent QBs after this season as I don't think even a first rounder will be a viable backup right away. Maybe Bradford as a backup, not sure how little he would be willing to accept. Brock Osweiler will be there too, he has looked pretty good with Denver so far this year, and might be looking for a change in scenery. Cousins is probably looking for a starting spot and will probably stay in Washington, but hasn't looked horrible this year with half the team around him that he would have here. Not sure who else I would want as a potential starter if Romo goes down. All 3 of those guys are somewhat used to starting, but if we could get them to take a backup job they are still young and have shown a lot of potential, and some issues.

KB1122

Reaction score
I would try to target Carson Wentz out of North Dakota State. I think he's better than Lynch and Goff and NDS is a 1AA powerhouse better than some 1A teams. The best thing about him is he MIGHT be available in the second or third rounds.

My theory about Wentz is that if he shows well in the post-season, he'll end up in the first round. If that happens, I would be cool with the Cowboys using the top 5 pick on a blue-chipper at another position and trading back into the first round for Wentz.

bodi

Reaction score
The 2016 quarterback class is underwhelming, according to multiple NFL scouts I've spoken to, but one name they all like as a potential starter is Carson Wentz from North Dakota State. One team I spoke to this week said Wentz could go as early as the late first round