Scout: I'd hate to be team in need of QB in 2016 NFL Draft

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Just saying that it should not take four years to uncover what potential he may have. He was buried under the depth chart and still would have been if Murray stayed. It took a mess of a running back situation to get him some real playing time which showed that he has some potential.

The same can be applied to our TE's, I have no idea what lies there because they are also buried.

IMO, it seems to take a lot more to get PT on Dallas than many other teams for varying reasons.

Or you just look at the possibility that players like Dunbar and Escobar are not that good.

If Romo remained healthy all season, the organization would still believe that Weeden is the most improved player on the team and throws a pretty football.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Or you just look at the possibility that players like Dunbar and Escobar are not that good.

If Romo remained healthy all season, the organization would still believe that Weeden is the most improved player on the team and throws a pretty football.

Hence, why I think our staff isn't very good at evaluating and/or developing players. You may be right......Dunbar and Escobar are nothing more than journeyman type players.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hence, why I think our staff isn't very good at evaluating and/or developing players. You may be right......Dunbar and Escobar are nothing more than journeyman type players.

The evaluation is first. Then developing. I think we are poor in evaluating first. We seem to spend a lot of time on some players and claim how great they are in practice but they disappear in games.

yimyammer

Reaction score
It is like throwing excrement at a wall. If you don't throw it, it has no chance to stick.

Using that analogy, considering some of the players that have stuck around Dallas, then its pretty clear why they don't bother

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I don't argue with this. If the talent's not there, we shouldn't force the issue. But if it turns out that it is, likewise, we shouldn't pass it up to get yet another 'last piece' to this 'championship team' that they keep believing they have.

Im not a draftnik. But, I have to beleive there is someone out there , worth a 2nd or 3rd......develop him for a few years....

We gotta take a shot at some point. and the time to start that process is...................now.

he may be a little raw....but thats what coaching and gaining experience by holding a clipboard is for.....

who wouldnt love an osweller type QB right now?

fredp22

Reaction score
1- I hope we dont go qb in 1st. We are in need but not dire need. Jerry has also correctly pointed out a qb in first guarantees nothing-its a crap shoot. With Romos contract there's no way hes not here next year and beyond. It wouldn't be wise to draft a qb in first and sit him 3 years when there is so much talent where we will be picking in this draft.

2- Jerry has drooled over both RG3 and Johnny. Like it or not one of them is here next year as the backup project

waving monkey

Reaction score
Just saying that it should not take four years to uncover what potential he may have. He was buried under the depth chart and still would have been if Murray stayed. It took a mess of a running back situation to get him some real playing time which showed that he has some potential.

The same can be applied to our TE's, I have no idea what lies there because they are also buried.

IMO, it seems to take a lot more to get PT on Dallas than many other teams for varying reasons.

there certainly is merit to your comments regards TE snd Escobar I dont get that

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
1- I hope we dont go qb in 1st. We are in need but not dire need. Jerry has also correctly pointed out a qb in first guarantees nothing-its a crap shoot. With Romos contract there's no way hes not here next year and beyond. It wouldn't be wise to draft a qb in first and sit him 3 years when there is so much talent where we will be picking in this draft.

2- Jerry has drooled over both RG3 and Johnny. Like it or not one of them is here next year as the backup project

Not in dire need of qb? Year after year Romo misses games because of injury. This year, our backups couldn't win a game. We want someone to sit and learn behind Romo, and when he get's injured again (as he will), he can be somewhat better than Weeden/Cassell. The hope.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
And that was their fatal thought process they drafted for need. Two teams (Minnesota and Dallas) had two shots and passed.

And it was not about "pressing need" in the most real sense. Tampa Bay took Cadillac Williams to pair with Earnest Graham. So Brian Griese and Chris Simms were so good that they could not have used Rodgers for the future?

If teams don't self evaluate properly, you see things like this.

In an era where QBing is so important, I cannot think of any rational reason why any team with an aging and beat up veteran QB would not start thinking 2-3 years out for the life after.

Dallas is in a unique situation. Our GM cannot get fired. There is no pressure to "win now" because of what is perceived as a backup.

They need to be a little more forward thinking because they have the luxury to be able to do so. If done right, this can work.

Fatal for fans, but not most GMs. One would need to be completely secure in their position to go to an owner and tell them I am using a first round draft choice to sit behind our current starting QB, and he is going to sit for 2-3 years.

And at the time, every draft article and/or mock had SF taking a QB, but not another team until the bottom of the draft. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - I'm sure no one would pass on Rodgers on a do over; even SF. But the only two teams that needed a starting QB at the time was SF and Washington.

rynochop

Reaction score
I guess last season was a figment of my imagination.
I guess a healthy Romo and a better running game is out of the question.

The coaches and gm became idiots in the offseason. I'm sure if you took the two best players off every team they would be doing just fine.

It's no wonder why fans aren't in NFL organizations

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We might not have a better opportunity to grab a top QB then we have this offseason for quite some time and with the first round contracts giving a 5th year club option the window makes sense given Romo's financial reality.

I think Romo is a very good QB but its very obvious to me and I hope everyone else just how vulnerable we are with him. He's frail and that escapability is on a downward trajectory.

I agree with the early sentiments in the thread. The 'should scare the expletive out of you' declaration struck me as weak. Go scout them and tell me if they can play or not. If you cannot figure it out then be scared.

We'll be picking much higher in the second round and will likely be in position to get a RB this time round.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
No we are not. If we were in dire need, we would be looking for a day 1 starter. That's not what we have here. We have someone who will sit for a couple of years and provide back up duties while he learns. Like I said, it would be great if we had the opportunity to draft a Luck type QB this year, but if that is not available, then trade the pick or get a stud at a different position. The worst thing we could do is pick a QB just to be taking one.

I agree, if we have a stud DL or safety/corner or LB there you take him. Don't reach for QB just because. Keep Cassel and Moore until the time is right

fredp22

Reaction score
Not in dire need of qb? Year after year Romo misses games because of injury. This year, our backups couldn't win a game. We want someone to sit and learn behind Romo, and when he get's injured again (as he will), he can be somewhat better than Weeden/Cassell. The hope.

we are in need I agree but not dire need. Dire need was when we drafted Qwinthy cause we had noone. Romo has to stay here for a couple of years because of the cap hit. I agree with having someone sit as u say but there is no one that high in the draft that will fill that need. There are no Lucks or Mariotas in this years draft and the pick is to high for a reach. There are better picks that high. I really believe Jerry will bring in RG3 or Johnny as the backup. If they make it great. If not then Romo retires and we do go high for a qb.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Its a crap shoot at all positions, and with the cowboys, drafting a CB in the first round has been one of the biggest failures of all positions. So what do you do? Draft another OL because our biggest success is drafting OL? Drafting a QB in the first round is a sound decision, he can sit behind Romo for a few games and learn, then Romo gets hurt, and he's in. I don't see how anyone can say he will sit for 3 years. Romo will spend more time on the bench, hurt, than the new guy. If you go status quo, and Romo gets hurt in the second or third game, the team will go 3-13 again. And if you do that again the next year because Jerry says Romo can play until he's 50, he gets hurt again, and another 3-13 year.