Scout: I'd hate to be team in need of QB in 2016 NFL Draft

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
The coaches and gm became idiots in the offseason. I'm sure if you took the two best players off every team they would be doing just fine.

It's no wonder why fans aren't in NFL organizations

so you're saying winning is not expected if your players get injured.....

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
we are in need I agree but not dire need. Dire need was when we drafted Qwinthy cause we had noone. Romo has to stay here for a couple of years because of the cap hit. I agree with having someone sit as u say but there is no one that high in the draft that will fill that need. There are no Lucks or Mariotas in this years draft and the pick is to high for a reach. There are better picks that high. I really believe Jerry will bring in RG3 or Johnny as the backup. If they make it great. If not then Romo retires and we do go high for a qb.

So a injury plagued Romo who'll be 36 next season. No competent backup when he goes down. That's not dire need. Otay. I'll take our scouts and draft guys word on about the qb's in this draft, if they can fill that need.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Not in dire need of qb? Year after year Romo misses games because of injury. This year, our backups couldn't win a game. We want someone to sit and learn behind Romo, and when he get's injured again (as he will), he can be somewhat better than Weeden/Cassell. The hope.

Where is the year after year thing coming from? Just not true. He Missed 1,, let me say that again, 1 game last year. Before that, it was 2010 since he missed a game I think, I might have missed a game in that time frame but still, its not like he has missed 10 games a year over the last 3 or 4 years. Just not true. He is what 35 and he has had one major injury to his back. I agree it is time to start thinking about and planning for his retirement, it is probably 3 years away. But in no way are we in DIRE need of a QB. We need a solid back up, and we need to look to the future and make smart decisions, not panic and pick another Quincy.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
You can't suck every year. Well unless you Cleveland. But when you do and your scouts feel he's worth it and there is a need you grab a young QB. The stars are aligning

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
So a injury plagued Romo who'll be 36 next season. No competent backup when he goes down. That's not dire need. Otay. I'll take our scouts and draft guys word on about the qb's in this draft, if they can fill that need.

I don't understand how people can say that Romo will start for the next 2-3 years. He will starts some games, but like it or not, Romo is beat up and damaged goods. No way he goes a full season without getting injured....

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Where is the year after year thing coming from? Just not true. He Missed 1,, let me say that again, 1 game last year. Before that, it was 2010 since he missed a game I think, I might have missed a game in that time frame but still, its not like he has missed 10 games a year over the last 3 or 4 years. Just not true. He is what 35 and he has had one major injury to his back. I agree it is time to start thinking about and planning for his retirement, it is probably 3 years away. But in no way are we in DIRE need of a QB. We need a solid back up, and we need to look to the future and make smart decisions, not panic and pick another Quincy.

Go look at the list I posted of Romo's injuries over the years (on another thread). And the games he was playing with a broken rib (he admitted to such). We are in dire need for someone to sit and learn this year behind him. Someone to fill in when he sit's because of injury, over the crap we have been putting in this year and last (Weeden and then Cassell).

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Go look at the list I posted of Romo's injures over the years (on another thread). And the games he was playing with a broken rib (he admitted to such).

I know his history. I don't care if was playing with a boo boo. He was playing because he could and he was our best option to win, which he would still be doing even if we drafted a QB. Again, the original post I responded to say " missing games year after year" which is just plain false. Never said he wasn't tough and could play at a high level when most QB would be curled up in the fetal position.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't understand how people can say that Romo will start for the next 2-3 years. He will starts some games, but like it or not, Romo is beat up and damaged goods. No way he goes a full season without getting injured....

Listen to Broaddus talk about the Aikman years and how they never drafted anyone to eventually replace him. That they can always find someone later.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I know his history. I don't care if was playing with a boo boo. He was playing because he could and he was our best option to win, which he would still be doing even if we drafted a QB. Again, the original post I responded to say " missing games year after year" which is just plain false. Never said he wasn't tough and could play at a high level when most QB would be curled up in the fetal position.

He gets injured. He just has been playing with those injuries, when he should have been sitting.

fredp22

Reaction score
Its a crap shoot at all positions, and with the cowboys, drafting a CB in the first round has been one of the biggest failures of all positions. So what do you do? Draft another OL because our biggest success is drafting OL? Drafting a QB in the first round is a sound decision, he can sit behind Romo for a few games and learn, then Romo gets hurt, and he's in. I don't see how anyone can say he will sit for 3 years. Romo will spend more time on the bench, hurt, than the new guy. If you go status quo, and Romo gets hurt in the second or third game, the team will go 3-13 again. And if you do that again the next year because Jerry says Romo can play until he's 50, he gets hurt again, and another 3-13 year.

all great points but we pick to high and there are no Lucks, Mariotas for the area we pick. RG3 or Johnny will be fine filling in for the games Romo misses. If they make it great if not we get more serious when the pickings are better. Theres to much value where we are picking. We have a bigger need at RB and that group is also weak. Maybe we trade down (get another 2 or next year 1) and take someone like Elliott.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
This is a year to draft a QB outside of the first. It would be absolutely shameful to turn down blue chip talent to "reach" for a backup QB.

Our backup position will be addressed. I am hoping for a QB in rounds 2-3. If we have a high first, I think a we have other needs. Look at the 2011 draft for comparison.

11Carolina PanthersCam NewtonQBAuburnSEC2010 Heisman Trophywinner[N 2]
12Denver BroncosVon MillerLBTexas A&MBig 12
13Buffalo BillsMarcell DareusDEAlabamaSEC
14Cincinnati BengalsA. J. GreenWRGeorgiaSEC
15Arizona CardinalsPatrick PetersonCBLSUSEC
16Atlanta FalconsJulio JonesWRAlabamaSECfrom Cleveland[R1 - 1]
17San Francisco 49ersAldon SmithLBMissouriBig 12
18Tennessee TitansJake Locker QBWashingtonPac-10
19Dallas CowboysTyron SmithOTUSCPac-10
110Jacksonville JaguarsBlaine Gabbert QBMissouriBig 12from Washington[R1 - 2]
111Houston TexansJ. J. WattDEWisconsinBig Ten
112Minnesota VikingsChristian Ponder QB

Now I doubt we have a number one pick but if a Cam Newton type of talent is there, you take him. If I am sitting there at pick 5 and we pass on Tyron Smith, Julio Jones, JJ Watt or Patrick Peterson talent for a Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker...I will throw my tv threw the wall.

Hindsight is 20/20.

kevm3

Reaction score
If you can take one of the top two qbs in the first round, you do that. Otherwise, grab BPA and grab a qb in the later rounds. I don't believe Romo has more than two more years in this league. His body is breaking down from the hits. You have to have the next guy ready to go.

robjay04

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.

Maybe but I believe in playing percentages. You have maybe a 30 percent chance of a first round QB becoming a player. I would say there is a 50 percent chance the player is out of the league in 5 years and a 20 percent chance they will be a backup on another team. I found this article that was written before the last draft about the last 16 years of first round QBs.
  • 17 of these quarterbacks (38 percent) have won a playoff game.
  • 16 of the 45 (36 percent) have winning records as starters during the regular season.
  • The career passer ratings for only a half-dozen of these quarterbacks is high enough to be ranked in the top half of the league last year.
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html

If you are desperate, you take those percentages knowing that you may find your QB for the future, if you are smart...you wait (especially since you have your starter locked in for two more seasons due to his contract). That same season where Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Blain Gabbert were drafted, Andy Dalton was taken the next round. You can also argue Colin Kaepernick has been more successful (not really arguable) and he was taken in the second as well.

Bengals needed a QB that season, they took AJ Green in the first and then Dalton in the second, the decision not to take Locker, Ponder or Gabbert is a big reason they are one of the best teams in the league right now.

sbark

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are in love with Wentz. He seems to have everything you want physically and maybe mentally in a QB. But one thing I found very interesting is that he runs the read-option at North Dakota State. So are we looking at another Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers draft?

nope.......west coast offense

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
getting back to the OP, if this scout was anyone who mattered his named would have been used. It could be some know it all blogger, who calls himself a scout because he watches College football on Saturday...........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Daillest88

Reaction score
Roethlisberger went to the powerhouse of Miami of Ohio and started right away and was an instant success. Flacco went to the powerhouse of Delaware and started right away.

I wouldn't want to start any QB right away if I didn't have to. But, it's not like Memphis plays a light schedule and it's not like other QB's haven't done well.

YR

That's funny, that's the 2 guys Paxton Lynch has been compared to.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Sean Peyton made his QB move last year......picked up Garrett Grayson out of Colorado State in the 3rd and grooming him much like he did Romo...... Not sure it will pan out or not....Yet at least the Saints are thinking about their future beyond Bree's.