News: Scout says Cowboys defense short on talent

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Our offense has outscored the opponent's offense in four games. Of course, that's very misleading, because it doesn't account for returns that yield a very short field, and because the games play out differently after a return score (the other team's offense ends up with more drives in the game, for one thing).

For example, both the Chiefs' and Broncos' winning FGs came after Dallas turnovers on our side of the field.

Also, one of the reasons for this is that our offense simply doesn't turn the ball over: we're tied with Indy for second in the league with only 13 turnovers. Kansas City has 12.

The main reason is that we don't have very many offensive drives. We're 25th in the league with only 135 drives. Some of that is because of the return TDs, some of that is because the defense can't get off the field. We're 7th in the league in points scored by the offense and 8th in the league in points per drive.

Good stuff!

Your avatar is from Buckaroo Bonzai, right?

Illini88228

Reaction score
First of all, it's in the USA Today which is McNews, don't expect deep insights. It's for people that don't really follow the team or the sport that closely. Not sure why everybody has their panties in a bunch over this.

Secondly, I think it's an enormous testament to Kiffen that with a defense that is so blatantly untalented, as confirmed by an NFL personnel exec, that the defense has contributed as much as it has to a team that's two games above five hundred.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Tom Pelissero, USA TODAY Sports 11:01 a.m. EST December 6, 2013

"They're not very talented," a high-ranking scout for another NFL team told USA TODAY Sports recently, speaking on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons. "That's why they're 32nd (in yards allowed)."

"Their D-line is a bunch of backups other than (DeMarcus) Ware, and he's hurt," the scout said. "Linebackers are hurt, and they don't have any safeties. They have a young guy (rookie J.J. Wilcox) who's going to be OK. They've struggled at corner. The LSU guy (Morris Claiborne) hasn't played that good. (Brandon) Carr – he's OK, but he's not worth what they paid him."

"They should be better on offense," the scout said of the Cowboys, who are tied for the division lead with Philadelphia at 7-5. "Defense – they are what they are."

-->> http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ent-defense-monte-kiffin-brandon-carr/3890371

--------------------------
To this I say, "No duh!"

Put some riggin' tape over that idiot's mouth! If stupid was fallout, he'd irradiate and entire city!

cowboys2233

Reaction score
This.

In how many games has the Cowboys offense actually outscored the opponent's offense?

You have a pro bowl-caliber quarterback, a bevy of skill position talent, a pro bowl-caliber left tackle, and a highly ranked right tackle whose performance has exceeded all reasonable expectation. Even Bernadeau has played relatively well lately.

What's the dealio? Why is the offense only ranked 23rd in total yards?

Because total yards is the absolute worst stat to rank offenses on. Points scored and red zone efficiency are much better indicators of an offense's effectiveness. And we are ranked 3rd in points scored. Even if you removed our defensive scores, I'm sure we're in the top five. Don't you feel better now?

Manster54

Reaction score
This defense has been good enough to win 7games. While talent is lacking, playing together and with passion along with situational awareness is the best we can expect to see.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Ware hasn't been 100% healthy this year, Hatcher is playing pretty damn well, and Selvie would be a good rotational guy but isn't what you want starting. Beyond that, the DL is completely un-talented.

Sean Lee is a blue chip LB, but the rest at that position are pretty average players. Carter is crazy athletic, but is missing something... and he's soft. He takes on blocks like my Grandma.

Carr is a damn solid CB, and Church is smart and tough, but somewhat limited. JJ Wilcox is going to be good, but he's not yet. Claiborne is only OK but he is going to continue to improve.

Overall, they aren't real talented and have had an inordinate amount of injuries. Plus, they're still getting used to the new scheme.

However, they all play hard and are improving a little bit at a time.

Next year, I have hope that they'll be used to the scheme, and that they will have some more talent along the DL, which is where they need it.

One good DT, a DE that Selvie can back-up, another LB, and continued improvement in the secondary will go a long way towards making it a defense to respect.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Remind me to never hire this guy. The D-line is a bunch of backups other than Ware? Um, you might be overlooking a guy who many consider to be the best DT this year in Hatcher? Oh, and Ware is perfectly healthy. Oh, and so is Lee. And Brandon Marshall seems to have a very different opinion of Carr. Call me crazy, but I'll take the word of a top notch receiver who has gone head to head with Carr over some "scout" who is not even willing to put his name to his comments.

No offense, but you sound like a non-objectional homer.

Fredd

Reaction score
Ware hasn't been 100% healthy this year, Hatcher is playing pretty damn well, and Selvie would be a good rotational guy but isn't what you want starting. Beyond that, the DL is completely un-talented.

Sean Lee is a blue chip LB, but the rest at that position are pretty average players. Carter is crazy athletic, but is missing something... and he's soft. He takes on blocks like my Grandma.

Carr is a damn solid CB, and Church is smart and tough, but somewhat limited. JJ Wilcox is going to be good, but he's not yet. Claiborne is only OK but he is going to continue to improve.

Overall, they aren't real talented and have had an inordinate amount of injuries. Plus, they're still getting used to the new scheme.

However, they all play hard and are improving a little bit at a time.

Next year, I have hope that they'll be used to the scheme, and that they will have some more talent along the DL, which is where they need it.

One good DT, a DE that Selvie can back-up, another LB, and continued improvement in the secondary will go a long way towards making it a defense to respect.

you left out scandrick who has been one of our best defensive players

Common Sense

Reaction score
I think the scouting department does a fine job of finding hidden gems -- everyone agrees on that, I think -- but if the guys who take that information and decide what to do with it took an approach more like Seattle's, this defense would be night and day better. It's a no-brainer to ask whether or not in hindsight you'd have rather signed Anthony Spencer or hedged your bets with both Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett. Is Seattle's front office just lucky or good? That remains to be seen, but we look like neither right about now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, Ware is still struggling with neck/shoulder/stinger issues. His quad might be fine, but he has had problems with stingers and weakness in his upper body all season. I've seen many times where the OT hit his facemask and he immediately became useless on that play and went to the sideline for several plays afterwards. He still has good burst, but he struggles to get off blocks because he can't properly "hand fight" with the OLineman.

I don't think Ware will ever be 100% again due to the chronic stingers and his age.

Unfortunately, this is probably true Walker.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Because total yards is the absolute worst stat to rank offenses on. Points scored and red zone efficiency are much better indicators of an offense's effectiveness. And we are ranked 3rd in points scored. Even if you removed our defensive scores, I'm sure we're in the top five. Don't you feel better now?

Would you rather have 20 trips inside the red zone scoring 10 touchdowns or 5 trips inside the red zone scoring 3 touchdowns? The latter is more efficient, but the former is more points.

And if you removed the Cowboys defensive scores, they'd still rank 7th. So, yes, I do feel better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And I have a hard time taking this scout serious when he failed to mention probably our two best players on defense this year in Hatcher and Scandrick.

He's not dropping breaking news. We lack talent on defense. Part of it is due to injuries. Part of it is the secondary. But either he's not a very good scout or he's just lazy. He gave a very lazy opinion to a question that is rather easy to answer.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Hmm lets see... Missing Ratliff (playing in Chicago), Spencer, Crawford and Bass on the defensive line, yeah I'd say we are short handed.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
team is ranked in points. offense is ranked by yards, or points if you subtract from defense obviously. both points and yards can be skewed by defensive turnovers or scores. i guess the best way would be points/yards per drive?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Lots of good posts here off a not very well done article. He left Carter off the list of early draftees amongst the others pointed out. Not sure what's up with Carter.