Scouting Combine thread

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think people just want a safety that is a playmaker and see guys that mostly play in the box as being terrible value.

If I draft a safety I want upside and Delpit has upside.

Im sure McKinney will be a nice ho hum player for someone’s defense.

I’ve got no use for a safety that can’t tackle.

None.

He will be called upon 20x more often to make a tackle then he will have an opportunity to make a turnover.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
First round yes, but you taking them at 17... I'm not.

Like them in the second round, but that's about it. Once Kinlaw is off the board D-line boasts 2nd round grade at best. AJ Espenesa pre-combine was 1-2 grade for me, but that combine makes me wonder where to even place him.

CJ Henderson put him right in 15-20 range. If there I think this would be a Cowboys type of pick.

It's only the beginning of March, and I'm already starting to get Henderson vibes too.

It sounds like the team will let Byron Jones walk and try to retain Robert Quinn, so CB is probably going to be at the top of our shopping list. The scouting department loves drafting elite athletes from big schools (or Boise State!), and Henderson certainly qualifies on both counts. If he's there at #17, I think Jerry pulls the trigger.

Just for perspective, these are the guys the scouting department wanted to pick in the last 3 drafts. Jerry and the coaches talked them out of about half of them, but left to their own, McClay and co are absolutely rabid about targeting guys with elite athleticism.

1. TJ Watt (95th percentile athlete)
2. Chido Awuzie (97th percentile athlete)

1. LVE (97th percentile athlete)
2. Justin Reid (95th percentile athlete)

2. Juan Thornhill (99th percentile athlete)

The guy at Three Sigma athlete is still working on getting the defensive SPARQ numbers up for this season, but I think Henderson ends up in the ninth decile easily.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
With this being a fairly poor DE class I think we really need to resign Quinn or someone...I’m also losing interests in the DTs as after the first it’s a bunch of undersized guys I’m not sure can anchor.

That said it’s a great year to add some talent and youth in the secondary in the draft. Ton of depth there.

John813

Reaction score
Tanner Muse as a linebacker seems like his best spot, no?

Had a nose for the ball in Clemson

Xavier187

Reaction score
C.J. Henderson seems like a safe beat. But only if we move back a couple. The possability of drafting CeeDee Lamb sounds good enough to stay at 17 if he is there. But if not im moving back in hopes of getting another 2nd round pick. Even if I have to add a future pick to make it work.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
With this being a fairly poor DE class I think we really need to resign Quinn or someone...I’m also losing interests in the DTs as after the first it’s a bunch of undersized guys I’m not sure can anchor.

That said it’s a great year to add some talent and youth in the secondary in the draft. Ton of depth there.

I've been saying this for weeks about DE's in the draft and re-signing Quinn.

Get your 1 tech in FA, and draft your 3 tech.