CFZ Scouting report on playing the Bills in Buffalo

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I‘m actually excited to see how the Cowboys handle another tough opponent on the road this Sunday. We have not played as well on the road as we have at home, which is certainly not uncommon. But these next 2 road games vs Buffalo and Mia will go a very long way in prepping this team for the playoffs no matter what seed we become. Winning on the road against a good team is what every playoff team will need to do (except fit the #1 seed)

So what are some facts about playing the bills in Buffalo? Here’s some interesting stats and tidbits:
  • The bills are 12-3 at home since 2022.
  • Last year the bills were 7-1 at home, losing only to the colts in a strange blowout home loss 41-15.
  • This year, the bills home losses are to Jacksonville 25-20 and to Denver 24-22.
  • The bills average margin of victory at home this year is +15.2, which is 3rd best behind Mia (+17) and Dallas (+24)
  • The bills average 29.7 pts at home and only average surrendering about 14 points a game at home.
  • The Cowboys avg 23.7 points on the road. (Compared to avg a whopping 39.7 at home!)
  • Josh Allen is 33-13 as a starter at home in Buffalo. JA has thrown 14 INTs this season (Dak has thrown 6) and interestingly 9 of Allen’s pics have been at home.
Some takeaways from the above stats:
  • Dallas will realistically need to score somewhere between 24-30 points to win based on how the bills have played at home this yr.
  • In the bills 2 home losses this year, Josh Allen has thrown 3 pics so getting at least a couple of them Sunday would go a long way in stopping them.
  • Allen is an outstanding running QB, especially in the red zone. We will need a spy on him that is a reliable tackler in space.
The Cowboys will need to play their best road game of the year so far this Sunday to win. I think their chances are great as long as our offense can muster around 24-30 points.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I‘m actually excited to see how the Cowboys handle another tough opponent on the road this Sunday. We have not played as well on the road as we have at home, which is certainly not uncommon. But these next 2 road games vs Buffalo and Mia will go a very long way in prepping this team for the playoffs no matter what seed we become. Winning on the road against a good team is what every playoff team will need to do (except fit the #1 seed)

So what are some facts about playing the bills in Buffalo? Here’s some interesting stats and tidbits:
  • The bills are 12-3 at home since 2022.
  • Last year the bills were 7-1 at home, losing only to the colts in a strange blowout home loss 41-15.
  • This year, the bills home losses are to Jacksonville 25-20 and to Denver 24-22.
  • The bills average margin of victory at home this year is +15.2, which is 3rd best behind Mia (+17) and Dallas (+24)
  • The bills average 29.7 pts at home and only average surrendering about 14 points a game at home.
  • The Cowboys avg 23.7 points on the road. (Compared to avg a whopping 39.7 at home!)
  • Josh Allen is 33-13 as a starter at home in Buffalo. JA has thrown 14 INTs this season (Dak has thrown 6) and interestingly 9 of Allen’s pics have been at home.
Some takeaways from the above stats:
  • Dallas will realistically need to score somewhere between 24-30 points to win based on how the bills have played at home this yr.
  • In the bills 2 home losses this year, Josh Allen has thrown 3 pics so getting at least a couple of them Sunday would go a long way in stopping them.
  • Allen is an outstanding running QB, especially in the red zone. We will need a spy on him that is a reliable tackler in space.
The Cowboys will need to play their best road game of the year so far this Sunday to win. I think their chances are great as long as our offense can muster around 24-30 points.
The "home" loss vs. Jacksonville, occurred when Buffalo was deemed the "home team" for their game in London.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Daron Bland needs to add another pick 6 to his resume!! :grin:
What he (and the rest of the secondary) can't do is allow the big play ala the Jets and Seahawks. The safeties have to be careful about being "eye faked".

Allen has the tendency to become frustrated when having to move methodically down the field.

The key to slowing down the Buffalo offense is minimizing the hurt caused by big plays.

Also, when Allen is running outside the pocket, defenders can't jump in the air going for the pump-fake because Allen will then run right around them.

Allen also doesn't like to be hit while in the pocket. The Buffalo offensive line has done a good job at protecting him this season. IF Dallas can get to him on a consistent basis that will go a long way to keeping their offense in line. But their pass-blocking is good, the Cowboy defensive line will have a challenge–And they still have to maintain rush lanes or Allen will put up ridiculous numbers running the football.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Bills-Dolphins-Lions is a tough stretch. These are all good teams, and each game is potentially very meaningful for our opponent.

Hoping we can win out because I have a feeling the Eagles will pick up another loss before the season is over.

Not many games left!

Mark

Reaction score
No doubt, one of the hardest places to win at. Real good litmus test as it appears the Bills are playing real good football of late against quality opponents.
The one head-scratcher of a beatdown the Bills have delivered at Highmark was to the Dolphins (48-20) - although to look at the box score/team stats alone, one would think the game was a nail-biter. Two weeks later, BUF barely got past the Giants (14-9).

Really tough team to get a bead on.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one head-scratcher of a beatdown the Bills have delivered at Highmark was to the Dolphins (48-20) - although to look at the box score/team stats alone, one would think the game was a nail-biter. Two weeks later, BUF barely got past the Giants (14-9).

Really tough team to get a bead on.
I agree that the bills are hard to read. They are capable of beating anyone but Allen is meteoric. He either looks like a dominant talent or like a rookie trying to find himself. His tendencies to throw into obvious tight coverage spots are completely mystifying. As Allen goes, so go the bills.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I agree that the bills are hard to read. They are capable of beating anyone but Allen is meteoric. He either looks like a dominant talent or like a rookie trying to find himself. His tendencies to throw into obvious tight coverage spots are completely mystifying. As Allen goes, so go the bills.
He has an overconfidence in his arm. He has a great arm and can make amazing throws, but it also means he thinks he can put that ball anywhere and leads to mistakes. There was an interview with both Allen and Brady, where Brady was telling him that's it's OK to take the easy pass sometimes, don't force things when you don't have to, but he's stubborn and wants to learn it his own way.

Mark

Reaction score
Josh Allen reminds me of Tony Romo in both style of play & decision-making.

Always looking to make something happen, and reluctant as hell to throw the ball away as long as he thinks somebody is semi-open.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Allen reminds me of Tony Romo in both style of play & decision-making.

Always looking to make something happen, and reluctant as hell to throw the ball away as long as he thinks somebody is semi-open.
I agree. Allen is more physically gifted. Romo had a good arm but not like Allen. But they both have/had a penchant for attempting to make throws that were best not thrown.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has an overconfidence in his arm. He has a great arm and can make amazing throws, but it also means he thinks he can put that ball anywhere and leads to mistakes. There was an interview with both Allen and Brady, where Brady was telling him that's it's OK to take the easy pass sometimes, don't force things when you don't have to, but he's stubborn and wants to learn it his own way.

It’s interesting that Bland gets a lot of his pics baiting QBs to throw at angles he can swoop in for a takeaway.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I *think* Josh Allen is the best quarterback the Cowboys have played all year. I don’t think he’s playing the best. That would be Brock Purdy. I don’t think he’ll have the best game. That was Geno Smith. It would be nigh impossible to top the performance he had.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watch out for Gabe Davis. He's been quiet for a couple weeks. He's due for one of his 3 catch, 130 yd 2 TD performances.