CFZ Scouting report on playing the Bills in Buffalo

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This game concerns me on a few fronts:

1. Tough place to play, tough opponent

2. Buffalo HAS to win. This is a playoff game for them. Dallas wants it and is playing well, but the intangibles favor Buffalo

3. Dallas has underperformed on the road. Production goes way down, Dak’s numbers dip, and we flat out look slow and play softer on the road

4. While this is not a “trap” game, I do wonder if Dallas relaxes a but after coming out so hot on Sun night to make a statement vs Philly? Is an emotional letdown inevitable?

5. Dallas struggles when they start “eating the cheese.” Now they are back in the media limelight again— will they be physically up for the challenge? Or will they get overconfident, and give us the “deer in the headlights “ look when Buffalo punches them in the mouth and the win doesn’t just roll out on a silver platter.

6. Penalties. This is a huge issue and I have seen nothing that would indicate they are improving in this area. In blowouts— you can overcome. In close games, they can absolutely cost you the win.

7. Just ny perception, but we seem to suffer a motivational disadvantage when we play non-conference opponents. It’s like other teams get “up” to play Dallas and make a statement — and for us it’s “just another game”. I dunno— I can see Buffalo going crazy and rabid for the W on Sunday. Will we match their intensity?

I had a sense this team would handle Philly. I have an uneasy feeling that a desperate Buffalo team is very capable of winning on Sunday. I hope Dallas keeps the streak going and I believe this is the toughest road game since SF (playing Philly on the road is actually easier due to familiarity and the matchups)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2. Buffalo HAS to win. This is a playoff game for them. Dallas wants it and is playing well, but the intangibles favor Buffalo

3. Dallas has underperformed on the road. Production goes way down, Dak’s numbers dip, and we flat out look slow and play softer on the road

4. While this is not a “trap” game, I do wonder if Dallas relaxes a but after coming out so hot on Sun night to make a statement vs Philly? Is an emotional letdown inevitable?

5. Dallas struggles when they start “eating the cheese.” Now they are back in the media limelight again— will they be physically up for the challenge? Or will they get overconfident, and give us the “deer in the headlights “ look when Buffalo punches them in the mouth and the win doesn’t just roll out on a silver platter.

6. Penalties. This is a huge issue and I have seen nothing that would indicate they are improving in this area. In blowouts— you can overcome. In close games, they can absolutely cost you the win.

7. Just ny perception, but we seem to suffer a motivational disadvantage when we play non-conference opponents. It’s like other teams get “up” to play Dallas and make a statement — and for us it’s “just another game”. I dunno— I can see Buffalo going crazy and rabid for the W on Sunday. Will we match their intensity?

I had a sense this team would handle Philly. I have an uneasy feeling that a desperate Buffalo team is very capable of winning on Sunday. I hope Dallas keeps the streak going and I believe this is the toughest road game since SF (playing Philly on the road is actually easier due to familiarity and the matchups)
Those are all logical points Hawk. What I love about this game is what it can mean for this team if they overcome the script of the past and don’t get too happy with themselves. It’s a great opportunity to flip the script of the past.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Spot on with all your points.

mldardy

Reaction score

1. Is it really? They've lost 3 times and have had some close calls at home in the last 2 years at home.
2. So do we. This is the one that I'm really tired of seeing. So what they have to win, we do too. We haven't clinched a playoff spot, still fighting for division title and seeding. The intangibles don't favor either team.
3. Not really. Two of our losses teams with a combined record of 20-6 on the road.
4. No such thing as a trap game. We're playing a team with a winning record coming off a win on the road on the road.
5. Do we? We've won the next game 4 times after a win this season.
6. We haven't had very many close games but in the few that we've had 1 score games we won 2 of 3 of those games where we had a lot of penalties: LAC (11) and SEA (9).
7. Huh. We're 4-0 in non-conference games so far.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
1. Is it really? They've lost 3 times and have had some close calls at home in the last 2 years at home.
2. So do we. This is the one that I'm really tired of seeing. So what they have to win, we do too. We haven't clinched a playoff spot, still fighting for division title and seeding. The intangibles don't favor either team.
3. Not really. Two of our losses teams with a combined record of 20-6 on the road.
4. No such thing as a trap game. We're playing a team with a winning record coming off a win on the road on the road.
5. Do we? We've won the next game 4 times after a win this season.
6. We haven't had very many close games but in the few that we've had 1 score games we won 2 of 3 of those games where we had a lot of penalties: LAC (11) and SEA (9).
7. Huh. We're 4-0 in non-conference games so far.
1. Buffalo is 13-3 at home heading into this game. They’re tough to beat at home, and no one wants to play there in Dec. Bruh— objectively its a tough opponent and a tough place to play, but you clearly want to be a contrarian so knock yourself out

2. Wrong. If they lose they fall behind the WC race— we lose, we are likely still 3 games up for the 5th seed. Again— objectively they are playing for survival, we are trying to keep pace with the Eagles.

3. We were 4-4 on the road in 2022, and we are 3-3 on the road this year. Yup— .500. Production dips significantly.

4. I specifically said it isn’t a trap game. I questioned whether the team may have an inevitable emotional letdown following a statement game vs the Eagles. Helps to read.

5. Yes. Eating the cheese is a problem for this team. Remember the hype and rhetoric the last two times they faced SF? Only to come out and crater? And if you don’t like my opinion, you can go back and read up on Bill Parcells take on it when he coached here. This team frontruns and talks a lot without achieving anything more than a division title over the last 27 years.

6. We are either #1 or #2 in penalties this season. It’s a problem. A big one. But hey if you don’t think so, agree to disagree lol

7. In 2020 and 2021 we went 1-3 vs AFC opponents. Last year we fared better and are doing so again this season (though Buffalo and Mia represent the greater challenge over the NYJ and NEP) but let’s not act like losing to non conference teams is a crazy possibility with this team

mldardy

Reaction score
1. Buffalo is 13-3 at home heading into this game. They’re tough to beat at home, and no one wants to play there in Dec. Bruh— objectively its a tough opponent and a tough place to play, but you clearly want to be a contrarian so knock yourself out

2. Wrong. If they lose they fall behind the WC race— we lose, we are likely still 3 games up for the 5th seed. Again— objectively they are playing for survival, we are trying to keep pace with the Eagles.

3. We were 4-4 on the road in 2022, and we are 3-3 on the road this year. Yup— .500. Production dips significantly.

4. I specifically said it isn’t a trap game. I questioned whether the team may have an inevitable emotional letdown following a statement game vs the Eagles. Helps to read.

5. Yes. Eating the cheese is a problem for this team. Remember the hype and rhetoric the last two times they faced SF? And if you don’t like my opinion, you can go back and read up on Bill Parcells take on it when he coached here. This team frontruns and talks a lot without achieving anything more than a division title over the last 27 years.

6. We are either #1 or #2 in penalties this season. It’s a problem. A big one. But hey if you don’t think so, agree to disagree lol

7. In 2020 and 2021 we went 1-3 vs AFC opponents. Last year we fared better and are doing so again this season (though Buffalo and Mia represent the greater challenge over the NYJ and NEP) but let’s not act like losing to non conference is a crazy possibility with this team
1. LIKE I SAID. They've lost 3 games at home in the last two years including a playoff game and had some close calls in some other games. You are making it seem like they are unbeatable at home. They are not.
2. No you're Wrong. As I said this game is not any more important for the Bills than it is for the Cowboys for the reasons I said in my OP. Saying a team has to win this game means nothing. The other team in this case the Cowboys don't care. This game is important for both teams plain and simple. So your point is irrelevant.
3. 2023. Don't care about 2022 and 4-4 on the road against the opponents we've played since 2022 is pretty admirable.
4. Then why even bring up the term. Like I said no such thing.
5. It hasn't been a problem this year. LIKE I SAID we've won the following week after a win 4 times this year.
6. I didn't say it wasn't a problem you said that in blowouts— you can overcome. In close games, they can absolutely cost you the win. We've had 3 close games this year and won 2 of them when we had 9 and 11 penalties. Pay attention.
7. Don't care about 2020, 2021.

You seem to be focused on past years and making assumptions when that really doesn't apply to the 2023 Cowboys. Focus on the facts of this year's team so far.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
1. LIKE I SAID. They've lost 3 games at home in the last two years including a playoff game and had some close calls in some other games. You are making it seem like they are unbeatable at home. They are not.
2. No you're Wrong. As I said this game is not any more important for the Bills than it is for the Cowboys for the reasons I said in my OP. Saying a team has to win this game means nothing. The other team in this case the Cowboys don't care. So your point is irrelevant.
3. 2023. Don't care about 2022 and 4-4 on the road against the opponents we've played since 2022 is pretty admirable.
4. Then why even bring up the term. Like I said no such thing.
5. It hasn't been a problem this year. LIKE I SAID we've won the following week after a win 4 times this year.
6. I didn't say it wasn't a problem you said that in blowouts— you can overcome. In close games, they can absolutely cost you the win. We've had 3 close games this year and won 2 of them when we had 9 and 11 penalties. Pay attention.
7. Don't care about 2020, 2021. Nor 1920, 1921 either.

You seem to be focused on past years and making assumptions when that really doesn't apply to the 2023 Cowboys. Focus on the facts of this year's team so far.
So every season is it’s own entity in your opinion? No cultural carry-over or after-effects from past seasons?

In my opinion, and in well documented research, past performance is a significant factor in determining future outcomes.

To your point, Dallas can buck all the trends, and I hope they do. But for those of us that feel like “we have watched this movie before” — it will take the team bucking the trend and winning at least the NFCCG to exorcise the ghosts of seasons past.

mldardy

Reaction score
So every season is it’s own entity in your opinion? No cultural carry-over or after-effects from past seasons?
This is not an opinion, this is a fact! The 2023 Cowboys are not the 2022, 2021, or 2020 Cowboys. Wow.

In my opinion, and in well documented research, past performance is a significant factor in determining future outcomes.

To your point, Dallas can buck all the trends, and I hope they do. But for those of us that feel like “we have watched this movie before” — it will take the team bucking the trend and winning at least the NFCCG to exorcise the ghosts of seasons past.
This is where you fail.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Dallas limits Allen’s scrambling, I think this is a win for the Cowboys… but that will be difficult to do if they try to make it a point to get Allen to use his legs a lot. IMO, Allen running makes that entire offense much more difficult to defend.

I think that Buffalo made an effort to keep Allen more healthy this season by keeping him from running as much… which has about torpedoed the season for them. Now, they see the season slipping away and have decided they aren’t the same team without the QB’s legs (like Philly) and taking the training wheels off of Allen.

Also, in regards to earlier season losses for Buffalo, they have fired that offensive coordinator and have a new guy putting the game plans together. He is making a much greater effort to run and to involve the RB in the passing game. The Bills were successful running against the Chiefs unlike before the offensive coordinator change, and their RB really hurt KC with the back catching passes. That sort of took KC by surprise this past weekend and helped them get a lead in the first half and hold on for the victory.

Dallas needs to be aware of both Allen’s running and the running game in general, because the Bills will definitely try to establish the run. If the defense can limit their ground game (including the QB), I think Dallas can come out of Orchard Park with a win if they make Allen have to do it with his arm.

Just my two cents.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
He has an overconfidence in his arm. He has a great arm and can make amazing throws, but it also means he thinks he can put that ball anywhere and leads to mistakes. There was an interview with both Allen and Brady, where Brady was telling him that's it's OK to take the easy pass sometimes, don't force things when you don't have to, but he's stubborn and wants to learn it his own way.

Brady is turning into a walking corpse. He's wasting away a million dollars and 3 pounds a day.
Dude looks terrible.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Well this is our chance to prove that we are not that old team that wins a tough game and then comes out over confident and spits the bit the following week.

We flat out have to be able to win on the road and December in Buffalo is anything but a good situation for us that said it's supposed to be 48 and light rain 48° is much higher temperature than I thought but we could do without the light rain.

We can do this if we play a mistake free game don't turn the ball over and make penalties a priority this week in practice can't have the pre-snap penalties leaving DAk with unmanageable down and distant situations ideally if we can keep it down to about four or five penalties we can win this game

Blackrain

Reaction score
Also feel this is time for Dan Quinn to do his best work Josh Allen is a far more athletic version of Romo with the same love for his own arm and I believe he can be baited into some horrible mistakes Dan Quinn has to get inside his head and make him make those mistakes.

This game needs to be a coaching masterpiece.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Is is a game we should win. Buffalo is not as good as the past two years.
I agree with this Buffalo has gotten their wins over crap teams.

Raiders commanders Giants Bucks Jets and the Chiefs who are on a big slide as of late.

Throw a win against the dolphins in there too another team that has played nobody to get their nine wins.

Granted we need to totally be on our a game out coach these teams and not take anybody for granted but I don't see any reason to fear either of these AFC North teams as they have compiled their records by playing bad teams.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree that the bills are hard to read. They are capable of beating anyone but Allen is meteoric. He either looks like a dominant talent or like a rookie trying to find himself. His tendencies to throw into obvious tight coverage spots are completely mystifying. As Allen goes, so go the bills.
I think he's a little bit in love with his arm and takes a lot of risks sometimes they pay off and he looks great other times it comes back to bite him and the team suffers