Scouting the Cowboys UDFA class: Wide receiver Jalen Moreno-Cropper

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Anderson was great from 2017-2020. He had 95 catches and almost 1,100 yards in 2020. He just is more a head case now than anything
Yeah, it's a bit like saying Miles Austin wasn't impactful. They may not have had careers with 10 1,000-yard seasons, but they had very impactful years for their teams.

To throw in Humphries, he had three seasons with 55-plus catches and 600-plus yards. That's impactful. His best was 76-816-5, which is good No. 2 receiver numbers.

kskboys

Reaction score
Is there a single UDFA WR who has come out of college in the last decade to make any sort of impact?

WR prospects don't slip through the cracks.
Adam Thielen (2013)

Willie Snead (2014)

Adam Humphries (2015)

Robby Anderson (2016)

That's from a list I found from 2019, so there are probably more in the last few years.
Jakobi Meyers, Alan Lazard, Greg Dortch (somewhat)
Also, Tim Patrick, Kendrick Bourne, Marquez Callaway, Byron Pringle, Cam Sims, Greg Ward.

Plus, there are UDFA WRs all over the NFL on ST's and blocking.

I appreciate Mac asking, as I didn't realize there were so many.

Loso86

Reaction score
If he can handle return duties, he could potentially challenge for Turpin’s spot, if Turpin doesn’t show more as an offensive player.
They have to actually give Turpin a chance on Offense first

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have to actually give Turpin a chance on Offense first
I agree. But I have to wonder why they never did last year? They certainly could have used the help, and definitely his speed.

But for some reason, he was never out there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Snead had 69 catches for 984 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie. He had 72-895-4 his second year. How much of an impact are you looking for? All-Pro?
There are 60 guys in the league who can have that production in that offense. The Saints cycled through those guys for a decade.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There are 60 guys in the league who can have that production in that offense. The Saints cycled through those guys for a decade.
OK. I see you are locked into your position, so you can have it. I'm not going to argue whether having 69-plus catches and 895-plus yards in back-to-back seasons is impactful. If you think that it's not, then have fun with that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
OK. I see you are locked into your position, so you can have it. I'm not going to argue whether having 69-plus catches and 895-plus yards in back-to-back seasons is impactful. If you think that it's not, then have fun with that.
I just don't think production and impact are synonymous.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree. But I have to wonder why they never did last year? They certainly could have used the help, and definitely his speed.

But for some reason, he was never out there.
It does make you curious. They really only used him for a few jet sweeps, even though he showed in the USFL that he can be effective as a receiver. I know the USFL is not the NFL, but still you would think with our issues at receiver that we would have tried anything and everything to help.

Of course, with us having traded for Cooks, I don't expect to see us do anything more with Turpin at receiver this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I just don't think production and impact are synonymous.
I think that's somewhat incongruous. If a receiver is making 69 catches, he's having an impact on the defense's approach to handling the offense. If he's producing 900 yards worth of yardage, same thing.

You seem to be only equating impact to being at the top of his position, like Thielen was at times. If that's your standard, then no, there are not many UDFA receivers who've met it. But that's an extreme standard. That's like saying the only QB taken from the sixth round on to make an impact is Tom Brady.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It does make you curious. They really only used him for a few jet sweeps, even though he showed in the USFL that he can be effective as a receiver. I know the USFL is not the NFL, but still you would think with our issues at receiver that we would have tried anything and everything to help.
Definitely. Lucky Whitehead got more of an opportunity. It’s a head scratcher for me, especially after Turpin’s USFL performance just a few months earlier.

Of course, with us having traded for Cooks, I don't expect to see us do anything more with Turpin at receiver this year.
In my opinion, you can never have too much speed out there, and if Turpin can contribute to the offense, he should be out there for sone plays. He’s active for special teams anyway.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am not a fan of our WR coach.no WR developed at all under him. Turpin-a complete non factor.Tolbert a total shocker after so much expecatation after the draft.

Mr_437

Reaction score
JMC is CeeDee Lamb Lite. Smaller...but looks like he models his game after CeeDee, and he produces. Never saw JMC do any returns, so that will hurt his chances of making the 53 as there are 1 or 2 spots available.

Of the UDFA WRs Durden may have the advantage as he can participate in every STs unit,, and has the size to play to play in the offense. I think JMC is the best WR of the bunch, but Durden n Brooks have the size and STs capability to give them the edge over JMC.

I got:
CeeDee, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Houston n Durden. I hope Turpin shows out, so he can make the roster.

morasp

Reaction score
He has some speed.

Overview
Slot receiver with adequate size who finds ways to get open thanks to tempo variance over route acumen. Moreno-Cropper’s ball skills shine when he’s elevating and making adjustments mid-flight, but he struggles when attempting to play through contact and make contested catches. His versatility to throw, run jet sweeps and operate outside of the norm for his position could be intriguing for creative play-callers and teams looking to add competition at receiver on Day 3.
Strengths
  • Beats press with acceleration.
  • Tempo alterations at route stems and break points.
  • Sets up coverage with impressive secondary speed.
  • Possesses hips and feet to gather and turn abruptly.
  • Loose upper half to open and pick throws off his back hip.
  • Gadget option with two touchdown passes and experience running zone-read.
  • Above average run-after-catch talent.
  • 4.40 forty yard dash
Weaknesses
  • Press can slow his release out on the flanks.
  • Rounds off his routes and drifts up toward coverage.
  • Needs to improve play strength to play through route contact.
  • Can be too content to lose battles for catch space.
  • Needs to work back to the football with more vigor.
  • Had too many focus drops in traffic and on big-play opportunities.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Definitely. Lucky Whitehead got more of an opportunity. It’s a head scratcher for me, especially after Turpin’s USFL performance just a few months earlier.

In my opinion, you can never have too much speed out there, and if Turpin can contribute to the offense, he should be out there for sone plays. He’s active for special teams anyway.
He might be the fourth receiver this year when we go heavy there in some passing situations. I just don't see us playing him over Lamb, Cooks and Gallup (if Gallup returns to form). I think he could run a lot of underneath, quick-hitting stuff to give Prescott an underneath outlet while Cooks, Gallup and Lamb stretch the field. When Dak was most effective as a rookie, one of the main reasons for it was having Beasley to hit on those quicks ins and outs. I know McCarthy's offense will be different than the Garrett/Linehan/Moore offense, but there are some effective things that translate to any offense. Frankly, I like having the little gnat receivers to drive defenses crazy and open things up for bigger plays.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am not a fan of our WR coach.no WR developed at all under him. Turpin-a complete non factor.Tolbert a total shocker after so much expecatation after the draft.
I'm not going to hold Tolbert against him. Small-school guys just sometimes need time to develop. We often expect too much. Not making more use of Turpin is puzzling, though, but not sure that was his decision. I can't see any scenario where we think having Noah Brown out there because he's a better blocker is a brilliant idea. Now, maybe Turpin was struggling to get off press coverage in practice or dropping passes, but I just have problems believing Brown was a better option.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I think that's somewhat incongruous. If a receiver is making 69 catches, he's having an impact on the defense's approach to handling the offense. If he's producing 900 yards worth of yardage, same thing.

You seem to be only equating impact to being at the top of his position, like Thielen was at times. If that's your standard, then no, there are not many UDFA receivers who've met it. But that's an extreme standard. That's like saying the only QB taken from the sixth round on to make an impact is Tom Brady.
No, I don't think Theilen was ever the top of his position - he was never a top-10 WR.

My point is that guys like Snead can have 70 catches in a lot of ways - because teams are busy covering other guys, you're an important player on a bad offense, or you're in an offense that just throws the ball a ton. These guys don't make offenses better by their presence, they are just filling in holes. If Snead was signed by someone like the Bears or Rams, we don't know his name.