Scouting the Cowboys UDFA class: Wide receiver Jalen Moreno-Cropper

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He’s listed at 6’0, 180 lbs on ESPN’s website. Is that incorrect? I was expecting smaller since size is listed as a concern.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I think that's somewhat incongruous. If a receiver is making 69 catches, he's having an impact on the defense's approach to handling the offense. If he's producing 900 yards worth of yardage, same thing.

You seem to be only equating impact to being at the top of his position, like Thielen was at times. If that's your standard, then no, there are not many UDFA receivers who've met it. But that's an extreme standard. That's like saying the only QB taken from the sixth round on to make an impact is Tom Brady.
Gallup had 400 yards brown had 450.

To say 50 catches or 600 yards isn't impactful than your standards are too high. We aren't looking for number 1 production or even number 2 but all of those named udfa in this thread would have done wonders for this team last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree. But I have to wonder why they never did last year? They certainly could have used the help, and definitely his speed.

But for some reason, he was never out there.
hes not going anywhere was brought here to be a ST ace, hes that. anything else is cake. there are many players across the league who are simply ST aces hardly see the field as a positional player. IMO he will be better this year with real offseason of rest and then full camp with a team he now was part of for a season.

thats like saying the backup qb or 3rd stringer who hardly takes the field are on the bubble because they dont play enough snaps, thats just their role ..Turpin has role and fills it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, I don't think Theilen was ever the top of his position - he was never a top-10 WR.

My point is that guys like Snead can have 70 catches in a lot of ways - because teams are busy covering other guys, you're an important player on a bad offense, or you're in an offense that just throws the ball a ton. These guys don't make offenses better by their presence, they are just filling in holes. If Snead was signed by someone like the Bears or Rams, we don't know his name.
NO mac you have no real point, you like to be right, you think you know more than anyone on whose over drafted , or drafted low, and then IF not drafted they must be trash.

that's your take, we get it..its your schtick. you are smarter then the entire scouting staffs, gms, and player personal guys.. you are way undervalued here.. glad to be Enlighted on what productive and whats not,. downplaying what Theilen has done is a joke.

so you're trying to tell me that with 53 players on the active roster and over 10 more on the practice squad that when a non or lowly drafted guy does what some of these guys have done on this list you're saying that they're not doing anything but filling holes how else do you think teams are made-up? You think that they could be made-up of 22 Pro Bowl players and a couple of hall of Famers and some all pros is that your vision of how you think that they can fit under a hard salary cap.

those guys are actually make up more of the team than the stars there are more role players that are very important their roles are very meaningful of what they do for teams then some of the superstars because there are more of them on the team the stars. guys lie Miles Austin or Beasly were very important in their roles. if you look at payers lie Tolbert who didnt live up to expectation but have a role player more than do their jobs it will mean more than what you are claiming. theor roles are pivotal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Like him, but like every UDFA class, u never truly know until the end of Camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hes not going anywhere was brought here to be a ST ace, hes that. anything else is cake. there are many players across the league who are simply ST aces hardly see the field as a positional player. IMO he will be better this year with real offseason of rest and then full camp with a team he now was part of for a season.

thats like saying the backup qb or 3rd stringer who hardly takes the field are on the bubble because they dont play enough snaps, thats just their role ..Turpin has role and fills it.
You’re likely right. I just wish they gave him more of an opportunity to contribute to the offense. I think his speed is a real asset.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You’re likely right. I just wish they gave him more of an opportunity to contribute to the offense. I think his speed is a real asset.
for sure maybe with Moore gone and Turpin in season 2 he might get more offensive snaps.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
NO mac you have no real point, you like to be right, you think you know more than anyone on whose over drafted , or drafted low, and then IF not drafted they must be trash.

that's your take, we get it..its your schtick. you are smarter then the entire scouting staffs, gms, and player personal guys.. you are way undervalued here.. glad to be Enlighted on what productive and whats not,. downplaying what Theilen has done is a joke.

so you're trying to tell me that with 53 players on the active roster and over 10 more on the practice squad that when a non or lowly drafted guy does what some of these guys have done on this list you're saying that they're not doing anything but filling holes how else do you think teams are made-up? You think that they could be made-up of 22 Pro Bowl players and a couple of hall of Famers and some all pros is that your vision of how you think that they can fit under a hard salary cap.

those guys are actually make up more of the team than the stars there are more role players that are very important their roles are very meaningful of what they do for teams then some of the superstars because there are more of them on the team the stars. guys lie Miles Austin or Beasly were very important in their roles. if you look at payers lie Tolbert who didnt live up to expectation but have a role player more than do their jobs it will mean more than what you are claiming. theor roles are pivotal.
Lol ok

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No, I don't think Theilen was ever the top of his position - he was never a top-10 WR.

My point is that guys like Snead can have 70 catches in a lot of ways - because teams are busy covering other guys, you're an important player on a bad offense, or you're in an offense that just throws the ball a ton. These guys don't make offenses better by their presence, they are just filling in holes. If Snead was signed by someone like the Bears or Rams, we don't know his name.
Thielen was a Pro Bowler after the 2017 season when he had 1,278 yards receiving. The next year, he had 1,373. He was definitely among the top players at his position those years. In 2017, he was fifth in yards and eighth in receptions. In 2018, he was ninth in yards and tied for fourth in receptions. I see now that your standards/expectations are just impossibly high.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Like some said, he may not make it due to special teams but I hope he shows something and we can keep him. He has some juice

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Thielen was a Pro Bowler after the 2017 season when he had 1,278 yards receiving. The next year, he had 1,373. He was definitely among the top players at his position those years. In 2017, he was fifth in yards and eighth in receptions. In 2018, he was ninth in yards and tied for fourth in receptions. I see now that your standards/expectations are just impossibly high.
Thielen played second fiddle to Diggs. He was never even the best WR on his teams.

Thielen is to WRs as Zach Ertz was to TEs. They can have a million catches but teams aren't really scared of them, and they aren't dynamic enough to drive an offens.e

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
McCarthy likes short players on his offense?

Meanwhile Quinn is stocking his defensive backfield with guys that are 6'2 and 6'3.

I get the feeling that practice is going to be rather one sided.
It sure will but not because of that.

1. Steele wont be practicing because he is on the mend
1. Tyron wont be practicing much as he is Mr. Glass. Or he will get hurt soon

So what will be our starting line in practice?

Walenzko, Martin, Biadasz, Chuma, Tyler

Yep, our offense will get destroyed by our defense in practice. Better hope its 7 on 7 drills.

Scary part is we are one TC Tyron injury away from THAT being our starting Oline to begin the season.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
It sure will but not because of that.

1. Steele wont be practicing because he is on the mend
1. Tyron wont be practicing much as he is Mr. Glass. Or he will get hurt soon

So what will be our starting line in practice?

Walenzko, Martin, Biadasz, Chuma, Tyler

Yep, our offense will get destroyed by our defense in practice. Better hope its 7 on 7 drills.

Scary part is we are one TC Tyron injury away from THAT being our starting Oline to begin the season.
Doesn't matter. Even when the line was great they still gave up pressures when it mattered. We make more mental oline blunders than most so called great olines

Motorola

Reaction score
UDFAs - be it at WR, or other positions - have a value in the NFL
All be it a longshot, the team scouting departments recognize talent and a possible fit (despite the college level of competition in some cases).
With the modest contribution of KaVontae Turpin this past season, don't be surprised if league teams sign some XFL and USFL players now through the beginning of TC.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah, this dude shows up here and thinks he has all the answers. We have plenty of those people around here. Any WR getting 1000 yds in multiple years and over 60 catches is making an impact. If we can scrounge up a UDFA that can do this, I'd do backflips.

kskboys

Reaction score

Cedric Wilson was impactful for us in 21 w/ 45 catches.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not going to hold Tolbert against him. Small-school guys just sometimes need time to develop. We often expect too much. Not making more use of Turpin is puzzling, though, but not sure that was his decision. I can't see any scenario where we think having Noah Brown out there because he's a better blocker is a brilliant idea. Now, maybe Turpin was struggling to get off press coverage in practice or dropping passes, but I just have problems believing Brown was a better option.
We draft way too many players w/o analyzing the traits that generally tell you whether a player will transition to the NFL .

Tolbert lacks explosiveness and snap to his breaks. Which means he lacks the traits to create separation at the NFL level.

We overdrafted him. Honestly, I don't get why people are excited about him. Only trait that stands out is that he's got good size.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson was impactful for us in 21 w/ 45 catches.
He was drafted and also just a product of other guys getting coverage. Noah Brown came in and did the same thing. He is my exact point lol.

If he knew how to track a football and was actually an impact player, he'd have caught the ball against SF and Dallas probably wins in 2022.