CFZ Scouting the dolphins

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TO be blunt I really doubt we can win a shootout with Miami.
You may be right. I’m just thinking how hard it will be to hold them to less than 30. They average scoring 36 at home. I’m hoping we can hold them to somewhere between 24-30 and then we score 30 or more.

John813

Reaction score
You may be right. I’m just thinking how hard it will be to hold them to less than 30. They average scoring 36 at home. I’m hoping we can hold them to somewhere between 24-30 and then we score 30 or more.

It'll be a tall order but they have to show early they can stop the run. McDaniel at times has gone pass happy, notably vs the titans.
But if Hill is feeling better, it's going to be quite the game plan for Quinn deciding to have the safeties play deeper/pass first bias or step up and look to try and stop Mostert/Achane.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Dolphins oline is a weakness.
How many blitzes have been seen by the Cowboys recently...get their QB's attention from the start.

And stop their running game.

Leave Hill double teamed and one of the Cowboys top corners on their other top receiver.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas defense is actually good enough to prevent that when the offense is just producing in rhythm.

Proof

Reaction score
I originally though Miami was a worse matchup for Dallas than Buffalo, but I think I've come off that a bit because Tua doesn't prevent a threat in the run game like Allen.

Granted, they have a lot more speed to get over top, but Dallas will defend Miami similarly.
i still think they do, because both their rushing and passing games are more dangerous than buffalos. tua doesn't present the same problem as allen, but mostert, achane, and their scheme is much scarier. imo

mardwin

Reaction score
I'm surprised more teams don't try and run wide on the Cowboys. Only Lawrence can set the edge. Micah pass rushes on every play so that is the side to run at. Mosert is going to have a day if they don't work on the basics.
Sounds like a defensive coordinator issue. Micah should play as an ILB in the first 2 downs which should help some with our lack of linebacker play.

CCBoy

Reaction score
i still think they do, because both their rushing and passing games are more dangerous than buffalos. tua doesn't present the same problem as allen, but mostert, achane, and their scheme is much scarier. imo
Keep them in front of you is this game's battle cry.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sounds like a defensive coordinator issue. Micah should play as an ILB in the first 2 downs which should help some with our lack of linebacker play.
With the amount of holding going on, no loss with using Parsons in more run support will happen. Sacks have decreased already.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes and no. I think the run scheme is a lot less scary because you can be a lot more aggressive with backside pursuit without the threat of Tua running. That said, they have way better vertical weapons.

Maybe it's a wash, idk lol.

Regardless, can't get behind on them.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think the Dolphins will be scoring TDs while Dak is leading Dallas to FGs.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
If you want to know what hill can do. Go back and look how the chiefs game in 2017 ended.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The narrative? They can't beat good teams or teams with winning records.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Vic Fangio is their defensive coordinator. He can shut down the Cowboys offense. He gave the blueprint to the league 2 years back when he was the headcoach of Denver Broncos.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Here’s a quick overview of the dolphins record, team stats, strengths, weaknesses, and other observations.

Record: 10-4 (first in AFC East)
Current Playoff Seeding: 2nd seed
Home Record: 6-1 (Wins: broncos, raiders, patriots, jets, giants, panthers. Loss: titans)
Road Record: 4-3 (Wins: jets, chargers, commanders, Texans. Losses: chiefs, bills, eagles)
Offense Rank:
  • Scoring: 1st- Avg 31.5 ppg (Cowboys ranked 2nd at 30.8)
  • Total offense: 1st 414 yds per game. (Cowboys ranked 6th at 368 ypg)
  • Passing: 1st at 274 ypg. (Cowboys ranked 6th at 251 ypg)
  • Rushing: 4th at 140 ypg. (Cowboys ranked 12th at 116 ypg)
Defense Rank:
  • Scoring: 14th avg giving 21 ppg (Cowboys ranked 5th at 18.9 ppg)
  • Total defense: 5th avg 293 ypg (Cowboys ranked 6th at 294 ypg)
  • Passing defense: 10th at 203 ypg (Cowboys ranked 4th at 176 ypg)
  • Rushing defense: 4th at 90.4 ypg (Cowboys ranked 19th at 117 ypg)
DOLPHINS STRENGTHS
  • Passing game- QB Tua Tagolivioa leads the NFL in passing yards, is second in yards per attempt and has 25 TDs passing. He also has 10 interceptions. The dolphins have a very good deep passing game with Tyreek Hill.
  • Tyreek Hill. The most dangerous receiver in football, especially as a deep threat. He leads the NFL in receiving yards and TDs and that’s even with missing last week’s game. He’s a huge weapon.
  • RB Raheem Mostert is third in the NFL in rushing yards with 966 and has a whopping 18 TDs rushing!
  • Defense has 48 sacks which is 2nd only to the ravens with 50. (Surprisingly Dallas is 11th in sacks with 40)
  • Red Zone success- Dolphins are 2nd in NFL in red zone success with 68%. (Cowboys are at 56%)
DOLPHINS WEAKNESSES
  • Turnover Margin- they are only +2 and have 20 total turnovers (Cowboys are +9 and have the least # of TOs in the NFL with 12)
  • Defensive passing game- they can be passed on IF we protect our QB.
  • Tua is not mobile. He can be sacked pretty easily if we can get some pressure.
  • Dolphins have mostly beaten bad teams and have not been able to beat the better teams in their schedule (sound familiar?) They recently lost to the lowly Titans in Miami.
KEYS TO VICTORY
  • We must score 30 or more. Period. The dolphins score at home pretty consistently.
  • We must be able to get at least 2 TOs. If we have 1 or less TOs to their 2 or more, we win.
  • Cannot let Tua have time to find his second and third reads. He is an accurate passer and reads defenses well.
  • If Tyreek Hill plays, we must prevent the quick strike plays. He can score at any time, anywhere.
  • Control the TOP. I see this game hinging on our offense keeping the ball away from theirs.
Thoughts?
We're going to need a bigger boat!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vic Fangio is their defensive coordinator. He can shut down the Cowboys offense. He gave the blueprint to the league 2 years back when he was the headcoach of Denver Broncos.
True, he did that in 2021. It’s 2023, and it’s a different offense. We will see.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Possess, yes but designed, executed, and utilized properly? hmmm TBD

they seem to go into Buffalo expecting the weather to dictate the game to be more conservative and low scoring sort of like the first four or five games this year Mike McCarthy got conservative where was the motion where was the use of our speed....

I mean I think he made a critical mistake in designing the offense depending on the defense once again and if it wasn't obvious they deferred they let the defense start the game and I think that's where it starts.

I think he needs from here on out if they win the coin toss whether it's the best decision or not is to go on offense first and just get super aggressive like that first drive it's going to determine a win/loss of the game, even though that's not true he needs to think that way it needs to be a desperate drive from the first snap...
No lies told here.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Here’s a quick overview of the dolphins record, team stats, strengths, weaknesses, and other observations.

Record: 10-4 (first in AFC East)
Current Playoff Seeding: 2nd seed
Home Record: 6-1 (Wins: broncos, raiders, patriots, jets, giants, panthers. Loss: titans)
Road Record: 4-3 (Wins: jets, chargers, commanders, Texans. Losses: chiefs, bills, eagles)
Offense Rank:
  • Scoring: 1st- Avg 31.5 ppg (Cowboys ranked 2nd at 30.8)
  • Total offense: 1st 414 yds per game. (Cowboys ranked 6th at 368 ypg)
  • Passing: 1st at 274 ypg. (Cowboys ranked 6th at 251 ypg)
  • Rushing: 4th at 140 ypg. (Cowboys ranked 12th at 116 ypg)
Defense Rank:
  • Scoring: 14th avg giving 21 ppg (Cowboys ranked 5th at 18.9 ppg)
  • Total defense: 5th avg 293 ypg (Cowboys ranked 6th at 294 ypg)
  • Passing defense: 10th at 203 ypg (Cowboys ranked 4th at 176 ypg)
  • Rushing defense: 4th at 90.4 ypg (Cowboys ranked 19th at 117 ypg)
DOLPHINS STRENGTHS
  • Passing game- QB Tua Tagolivioa leads the NFL in passing yards, is second in yards per attempt and has 25 TDs passing. He also has 10 interceptions. The dolphins have a very good deep passing game with Tyreek Hill.
  • Tyreek Hill. The most dangerous receiver in football, especially as a deep threat. He leads the NFL in receiving yards and TDs and that’s even with missing last week’s game. He’s a huge weapon.
  • RB Raheem Mostert is third in the NFL in rushing yards with 966 and has a whopping 18 TDs rushing!
  • Defense has 48 sacks which is 2nd only to the ravens with 50. (Surprisingly Dallas is 11th in sacks with 40)
  • Red Zone success- Dolphins are 2nd in NFL in red zone success with 68%. (Cowboys are at 56%)
DOLPHINS WEAKNESSES
  • Turnover Margin- they are only +2 and have 20 total turnovers (Cowboys are +9 and have the least # of TOs in the NFL with 12)
  • Defensive passing game- they can be passed on IF we protect our QB.
  • Tua is not mobile. He can be sacked pretty easily if we can get some pressure.
  • Dolphins have mostly beaten bad teams and have not been able to beat the better teams in their schedule (sound familiar?) They recently lost to the lowly Titans in Miami.
KEYS TO VICTORY
  • We must score 30 or more. Period. The dolphins score at home pretty consistently.
  • We must be able to get at least 2 TOs. If we have 1 or less TOs to their 2 or more, we win.
  • Cannot let Tua have time to find his second and third reads. He is an accurate passer and reads defenses well.
  • If Tyreek Hill plays, we must prevent the quick strike plays. He can score at any time, anywhere.
  • Control the TOP. I see this game hinging on our offense keeping the ball away from theirs.
Thoughts?
THere's a guy on their defense chubb I think who is coming off a really good weekend, we better block him. I think the focus will be too much on hill and waddle may get us

Thomas82

Reaction score
How many blitzes have been seen by the Cowboys recently...get their QB's attention from the start.

And stop their running game.

Leave Hill double teamed and one of the Cowboys top corners on their other top receiver.
Yeah, I would double Hill and put Bland on Waddle.