Scouting the Rams

ejthedj

Reaction score
So, I watched a lot of Rams games last night (both Seattle, second Arizona, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans). Here's what I think:

1) Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

3) The offense plays horizontal. Yes, they throw the ball down the field on play action, but even those plays are not outside the numbers. They always hit guys running horizontal to the line. Lots of square-ins, drags, and dig routes. In fact,Goff seems shaky on passes outside the numbers. He will throw a quick out, or a mid level out only on roll outs. But he rarely throws deep outside the numbers, and when he does, it's usually inaccurate. The middle of the field is absolutely key. It may be because their receivers are so small, they can't win outside. So play inside leverage like we usually do.

4) Goff is quite inaccurate when pressured. His mechanics get bad. Also, he will turn the ball over. Did in every game I watched, and most games had a couple more near-turnovers. Pressure him, or even just cover well on the play action, and he forces stuff, throws stuff up. I can see getting at least two turnovers off him in a high pressure game.

5) They do not like and are not very good at moving the ball in small chunks all the way down the field. Goff gets impatient. They expect junk plays, and that is behind why he ends up throwing picks it seems. Bend but don't break will break them.

6) Their D is pretty bad. Their linebackers are trash. Once you get past the Dline, the running game feasts. Zeke could really go off. Their secondary is also pretty bad. Safeties don't like to tackle. Their corners get toasted regularly. Peters is awful now. Must be the most overrated player in the league. in every game, he gets toasted and then throws up his hands in this whiny, loser sort of way. He tries to jump routes so any double move burns him. Like every time. In general, their body language and hustle on defense is poor. They don't run to the ball like we do. They don't seem like they believe in themselves. They certainly look like they play for a paycheck more than for the love. Their Defense is all about the Dline. It's the only good part. Block Donald, and you win this game. Maybe easily.

7) Seemed like their special teams allowed some long returns in about half those games.

All-in-all, I expected to come out of this impressed and scared of their offense. It's scary, but not better than New Orleans and very Gurley-dependent. If he is limited, I think we can hold them to 20. If not, we probably need to score 28 to 31 to win. They have been much worse the last 5-6 games, too, than they were earlier in the year. probably bc teams are figuring out the coach. like I said, I don't see genius -- I see a guy who has a few plays that work and goes to those same plays over and over.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I wonder if we are going to handle Gurley's presence in the passing game similarly to how we handled Kamara/Ingram.

Using the nickel corner in that match-up instead of a linebacker was stupid effective.

ejthedj

Reaction score
I wonder if we are going to handle Gurley's presence in the passing game similarly to how we handled Kamara/Ingram.

Using the nickel corner in that match-up instead of a linebacker was stupid effective.

I wouldn't worry about the dump offs too much. Every time Goff is forced to dump off, the chances that he forces a bad pass go up. He gets frustrated pretty easily.

JReed1000

Reaction score
Great breakdown. What I do know is they are no way better than New Orleans on Offense. Gurley must be held in check and if they can hold this team to the low 20s we good. We gotta get Zeke to the 2nd level. I expect to win this game.

conner01

Reaction score

That’s would be my plan
If you can stop gurley you can stop them

Creeper

Reaction score
Dallas has to make sure Donald plays on his side of the line of scrimmage. If he is in the backfield all night the Cowboys offense will struggle. I am concerned Su'a-Filo will struggle with Donald's quickness - if he plays.

I recall the last time the Cowboys played the Rams the game was close in the first half - until Sean Lee go hurt. After that, the Rams offense scored every time they got the ball and Gurley killed us. That was when Jaylon Smith was not fully recovered and he was inexperienced. Now, with LVE and Smith playing at such a high level, I expect them to make Gurley earn his yards.

Goff had a great game the last time they played but I agree they need to pressure him into mistakes and force him to make bad decisions. This is a game Dallas can win but its going to take their A game to do it on the road.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...The Rams have issued a reminder that tickets to Saturday night’s game against the Cowboys at the L.A. Coliseuim are available to be purchased. And if Rams fans haven’t Cowboys fans definitely will.

Cowboys fans don’t travel well per se; they’re simply already everywhere. The fact that they’ve had so little postseason success since winning their last Super Bowl 23 years ago is a testament to the power of the brand.

But the last year the Cowboys won the Super Bowl was the first year of a two-decade NFL hiatus from L.A., and a generation of Angelenos grew up free to root for any team, including the one that squatted on a nickname that resonates from coast to coast.

Remember the 2016 preseason game between the Cowboys and Rams that marked the NFL’s return to L.A.? That meaningless game had a postseason vibe. This very meaningful postseason game will have a Super Bowl vibe. And it could feel a lot like a Super Bowl being played in Dallas...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-fans-could-storming-coliseum-211603663.html

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So, I watched a lot of Rams games last night (both Seattle, second Arizona, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans). Here's what I think:

1) Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

3) The offense plays horizontal. Yes, they throw the ball down the field on play action, but even those plays are not outside the numbers. They always hit guys running horizontal to the line. Lots of square-ins, drags, and dig routes. In fact,Goff seems shaky on passes outside the numbers. He will throw a quick out, or a mid level out only on roll outs. But he rarely throws deep outside the numbers, and when he does, it's usually inaccurate. The middle of the field is absolutely key. It may be because their receivers are so small, they can't win outside. So play inside leverage like we usually do.

4) Goff is quite inaccurate when pressured. His mechanics get bad. Also, he will turn the ball over. Did in every game I watched, and most games had a couple more near-turnovers. Pressure him, or even just cover well on the play action, and he forces stuff, throws stuff up. I can see getting at least two turnovers off him in a high pressure game.

5) They do not like and are not very good at moving the ball in small chunks all the way down the field. Goff gets impatient. They expect junk plays, and that is behind why he ends up throwing picks it seems. Bend but don't break will break them.

6) Their D is pretty bad. Their linebackers are trash. Once you get past the Dline, the running game feasts. Zeke could really go off. Their secondary is also pretty bad. Safeties don't like to tackle. Their corners get toasted regularly. Peters is awful now. Must be the most overrated player in the league. in every game, he gets toasted and then throws up his hands in this whiny, loser sort of way. He tries to jump routes so any double move burns him. Like every time. In general, their body language and hustle on defense is poor. They don't run to the ball like we do. They don't seem like they believe in themselves. They certainly look like they play for a paycheck more than for the love. Their Defense is all about the Dline. It's the only good part. Block Donald, and you win this game. Maybe easily.

7) Seemed like their special teams allowed some long returns in about half those games.

All-in-all, I expected to come out of this impressed and scared of their offense. It's scary, but not better than New Orleans and very Gurley-dependent. If he is limited, I think we can hold them to 20. If not, we probably need to score 28 to 31 to win. They have been much worse the last 5-6 games, too, than they were earlier in the year. probably bc teams are figuring out the coach. like I said, I don't see genius -- I see a guy who has a few plays that work and goes to those same plays over and over.
Not going to lie sounds like you read many articles that said the exact same thing and put it on here as if it was you coming up with this all on your own.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Not going to lie sounds like you read many articles that said the exact same thing and put it on here as if it was you coming up with this all on your own.

Which article says they run the same plays over and over? Or that they play horizontal mostly? or that Goff almost never throws, and is quite inaccurate, outside the numbers? I have not seen an article that details how bad Peters is, either. I watched eight games. And some of it I had heard before, but a lot of this is based on seeing the same things over and over.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Great write up. But to read it. It seems you are describing a 3-13 team, not a 13-3 team. As we know it is a 13-3 team.
Still a scary team.
I think too many fans are penciling in it as a win, and some are using ink.

Tough game to be sure but I think we're pretty evenly matched, despite the records. Rams' flawed defense and immobile QB are going to cost them at some point, could be this Saturday.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Which article says they run the same plays over and over? Or that they play horizontal mostly? or that Goff almost never throws, and is quite inaccurate, outside the numbers? I have not seen an article that details how bad Peters is, either. I watched eight games. And some of it I had heard before, but a lot of this is based on seeing the same things over and over.
There is a thread on the first or second page that mentions the majority of what you said and has the articles. You can also google it too to find the articles but the thread is on the first or second page here. No biggie just funny when I hear something on mainstream air/online and very soon after someone has a very similar take.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Great write up. But to read it. It seems you are describing a 3-13 team, not a 13-3 team. As we know it is a 13-3 team.
Still a scary team.
I think too many fans are penciling in it as a win, and some are using ink.

No, as I said, we will have to score to win. They will likely put up 20 at least. It's just not this scary, greatest-show-on-turf type team I expected.

ejthedj

Reaction score
There is a thread on the first or second page that mentions the majority of what you said and has the articles. You can also google it too to find the articles but the thread is on the first or second page here. No biggie just funny when I hear something on mainstream air/online and very soon after someone has a very similar take.

Maybe people see the same thing on the tape?

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Thankfully they don't have a decent tight end, or run zone-reads, which have been big weaknesses for us.

Last edited: