Scouting the Rams

ejthedj

Reaction score
Thankfully they don't have a decent tight end, or run zone-reads, which have been a big weakness for us.

Yeah, and it seems like one of our weaknesses has been the deep ball on the sidelines. Chido and Byron have both been beat on close ones on those plays. I didn't see the Rams make any of those.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
...The Rams have issued a reminder that tickets to Saturday night’s game against the Cowboys at the L.A. Coliseuim are available to be purchased. And if Rams fans haven’t Cowboys fans definitely will.

Cowboys fans don’t travel well per se; they’re simply already everywhere. The fact that they’ve had so little postseason success since winning their last Super Bowl 23 years ago is a testament to the power of the brand.

But the last year the Cowboys won the Super Bowl was the first year of a two-decade NFL hiatus from L.A., and a generation of Angelenos grew up free to root for any team, including the one that squatted on a nickname that resonates from coast to coast.

Remember the 2016 preseason game between the Cowboys and Rams that marked the NFL’s return to L.A.? That meaningless game had a postseason vibe. This very meaningful postseason game will have a Super Bowl vibe. And it could feel a lot like a Super Bowl being played in Dallas...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cowboys-fans-could-storming-coliseum-211603663.html
Dallas gets great attendance at Training camp in Cali and have kept the brand alive out West.
That should pay big dividends this playoff game as it will be the least home field advantage arguably any playoff team has had yet.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Great write up. But to read it. It seems you are describing a 3-13 team, not a 13-3 team. As we know it is a 13-3 team.
Still a scary team.
I think too many fans are penciling in it as a win, and some are using ink.
Agreed. It's going to be as tough and probably tougher than last week. Rams have had 2 weeks to prep and get healthy. On the other side, they will hopefully start a little rusty from going full speed.
On D, their going to line the box like the Hags did to stop Zeke. We have to mix the run/pass with proper execution (no penalties) and move the chains. Keep Gurley off the field and keep him turned inside from those off tackle plays they run.
Just hope the refs let us play.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Rams are a very good football team and we are going on the road.
They deserve the point spread in their favor.

But we have faced better WR corps this year and held up: ATL/TB
I don't know that we've faced an offense quite this good aside from New Orleans.

And the Rams DL is outstanding but they really fall off on the 2nd and 3rd levels.

DAL has a shot at that's about all you can ask for given a 3-5 start that ensured road games at this point in the playoffs.
DAL has won 8 of 9 and is arguably the hottest team in the NFC.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, I watched a lot of Rams games last night (both Seattle, second Arizona, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans). Here's what I think:

1) Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

3) The offense plays horizontal. Yes, they throw the ball down the field on play action, but even those plays are not outside the numbers. They always hit guys running horizontal to the line. Lots of square-ins, drags, and dig routes. In fact,Goff seems shaky on passes outside the numbers. He will throw a quick out, or a mid level out only on roll outs. But he rarely throws deep outside the numbers, and when he does, it's usually inaccurate. The middle of the field is absolutely key. It may be because their receivers are so small, they can't win outside. So play inside leverage like we usually do.

4) Goff is quite inaccurate when pressured. His mechanics get bad. Also, he will turn the ball over. Did in every game I watched, and most games had a couple more near-turnovers. Pressure him, or even just cover well on the play action, and he forces stuff, throws stuff up. I can see getting at least two turnovers off him in a high pressure game.

5) They do not like and are not very good at moving the ball in small chunks all the way down the field. Goff gets impatient. They expect junk plays, and that is behind why he ends up throwing picks it seems. Bend but don't break will break them.

6) Their D is pretty bad. Their linebackers are trash. Once you get past the Dline, the running game feasts. Zeke could really go off. Their secondary is also pretty bad. Safeties don't like to tackle. Their corners get toasted regularly. Peters is awful now. Must be the most overrated player in the league. in every game, he gets toasted and then throws up his hands in this whiny, loser sort of way. He tries to jump routes so any double move burns him. Like every time. In general, their body language and hustle on defense is poor. They don't run to the ball like we do. They don't seem like they believe in themselves. They certainly look like they play for a paycheck more than for the love. Their Defense is all about the Dline. It's the only good part. Block Donald, and you win this game. Maybe easily.

7) Seemed like their special teams allowed some long returns in about half those games.

All-in-all, I expected to come out of this impressed and scared of their offense. It's scary, but not better than New Orleans and very Gurley-dependent. If he is limited, I think we can hold them to 20. If not, we probably need to score 28 to 31 to win. They have been much worse the last 5-6 games, too, than they were earlier in the year. probably bc teams are figuring out the coach. like I said, I don't see genius -- I see a guy who has a few plays that work and goes to those same plays over and over.
I appreciate your observations and insights. I admit I haven't watched a single Ram's game.

Just curious - since a lot of analysts paint the Seahawks as a near mirror image of the Cowboys, what did the Rams do well to beat them this year?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dang! Did you stay up all night to watch 8 games?:laugh:
Right...lol

Actually on NFL game pass, which I think is a must have, you can watch the condensed games rather quickly. No commercials and basically go from play to play without the commentary in between.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Not going to lie sounds like you read many articles that said the exact same thing and put it on here as if it was you coming up with this all on your own.
I don't seem to have seen any articles on this but then I really was not looking for them. The post was informational for those of us that did not 'see' the articles and posts you are referring to.

The OP has my vote for a well thought out informative rant.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don't seem to have seen any articles on this but then I really was not looking for them. The post was informational for those of us that did not 'see' the articles and posts you are referring to.

The OP has my vote for a well thought out informative rant.
Well if you haven't saw the articles you weren't on here and or don't know how to use google aka you wasn't looking for them. Who said it wasn't informative for those who didn't see the articles? I was just saying how it was funny to me how this happens as far as people having opinions close in time to when mainstream articles and videos about this are put out. You can have your vote nobody was trying to stop you. This was something I notice a lot online and wanted to speak on it just like you wanting to speak on me and how you perceived my post.

ejthedj

Reaction score
I appreciate your observations and insights. I admit I haven't watched a single Ram's game.

Just curious - since a lot of analysts paint the Seahawks as a near mirror image of the Cowboys, what did the Rams do well to beat them this year?

Surprisingly, both games were kinda shoot outs. In both, neither team could stop the run. Gurley gashed them, and the Seahawks ran well too. Wilson made crucial turnovers in both games, and both games came down to the final drive, with Seattle having a chance.

One thing I should have said is -- WE MUST WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE. If we give them easy opportunities, it will turn into a shoot out. That's what happened with Seattle. Good news is, as I mentioned, Goff will give us a chance to get our hands on the ball. I was surprised how careless he can be at times

robbieruff

Reaction score
So, I watched a lot of Rams games last night (both Seattle, second Arizona, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Green Bay, New Orleans). Here's what I think:

1) Their offense really goes as Gurley goes. He's their only special player. Cooks is good, so is Woods, so is their Oline, so is Goff, so is Reynolds. They have good players elsewhere but nobody that really scares you. If Gurley is limited, this is a huge plus for us.

2) As much as McVeigh gets credit for being a genius, by the end I thought his offense was very predictable. They run the same play action play over and over. Same jet sweep over and over (and they hand it on the sweep a lot). Same inside zone run. The whole thing is misdirection. Don't fall for the eye candy. Do not bite on play action cause this play action into a deep-in route is their best play.

3) The offense plays horizontal. Yes, they throw the ball down the field on play action, but even those plays are not outside the numbers. They always hit guys running horizontal to the line. Lots of square-ins, drags, and dig routes. In fact,Goff seems shaky on passes outside the numbers. He will throw a quick out, or a mid level out only on roll outs. But he rarely throws deep outside the numbers, and when he does, it's usually inaccurate. The middle of the field is absolutely key. It may be because their receivers are so small, they can't win outside. So play inside leverage like we usually do.

4) Goff is quite inaccurate when pressured. His mechanics get bad. Also, he will turn the ball over. Did in every game I watched, and most games had a couple more near-turnovers. Pressure him, or even just cover well on the play action, and he forces stuff, throws stuff up. I can see getting at least two turnovers off him in a high pressure game.

5) They do not like and are not very good at moving the ball in small chunks all the way down the field. Goff gets impatient. They expect junk plays, and that is behind why he ends up throwing picks it seems. Bend but don't break will break them.

6) Their D is pretty bad. Their linebackers are trash. Once you get past the Dline, the running game feasts. Zeke could really go off. Their secondary is also pretty bad. Safeties don't like to tackle. Their corners get toasted regularly. Peters is awful now. Must be the most overrated player in the league. in every game, he gets toasted and then throws up his hands in this whiny, loser sort of way. He tries to jump routes so any double move burns him. Like every time. In general, their body language and hustle on defense is poor. They don't run to the ball like we do. They don't seem like they believe in themselves. They certainly look like they play for a paycheck more than for the love. Their Defense is all about the Dline. It's the only good part. Block Donald, and you win this game. Maybe easily.

7) Seemed like their special teams allowed some long returns in about half those games.

All-in-all, I expected to come out of this impressed and scared of their offense. It's scary, but not better than New Orleans and very Gurley-dependent. If he is limited, I think we can hold them to 20. If not, we probably need to score 28 to 31 to win. They have been much worse the last 5-6 games, too, than they were earlier in the year. probably bc teams are figuring out the coach. like I said, I don't see genius -- I see a guy who has a few plays that work and goes to those same plays over and over.

Very nice breakdown...living on the west coast (Niner country), I have had a chance to watch the Rams more than a few times. I noticed you didn't mention anything about their TE's, which is the aspect of their offense that concerns me the most (other than TG) going into this particular game...we have struggled against good TE play at times, especially against the Eagles and even the Seattle TE got free for some big gains (overall we rank 19th in the league in defending TE's), and the Rams' TE position as a unit and not so much individual players has some big play potential (i.e., relatively high YPC). What were your impressions in that regard and how do you assess how they may impact our matchup?

ejthedj

Reaction score
Very nice breakdown...living on the west coast (Niner country), I have had a chance to watch the Rams more than a few times. I noticed you didn't mention anything about their TE's, which is the aspect of their offense that concerns me the most (other than TG) going into this particular game...we have struggled against good TE play at times, especially against the Eagles and even the Seattle TE got free for some big gains (overall we rank 19th in the league in defending TE's), and the Rams' TE position as a unit and not so much individual players has some big play potential (i.e., relatively high YPC). What were your impressions in that regard and how do you assess how they may impact our matchup?

In the games I watched, the tight ends were not that big of a factor. They would seem to make one nice play a game, but that was about it. They are not world beaters there, that's for sure.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Here's a couple articles from early in the season about McVay's scheme philosophy, it's simple in idea, get favorable looks. Using misdirections, motion, etc to create favorable looks and mismatches

For all the bells and whistles adorning this offense, though, the Rams staff will tell you that the basic set of plays it has each week remains relatively static. McVay’s biggest advantage isn’t that he has a 1,000-page playbook for defenses to worry about; it’s that the fundamental set of plays the Rams rely on is built to accommodate one or two adjustments acutely aimed at attacking a specific defense. By the time a defense realizes how a concept differs from what it’s seen on tape, it’s too late.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/10/4/17936990/sean-mcvay-offensive-mind-los-angeles-rams
ttps://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/09/26/logic-simplicity-make-los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-nfls-brightest-offensive-mind/amzolzk/

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Not sure what you're watching but Littleton is a beast and just had a terrific season as their stud starting ILB.

robbieruff

Reaction score
In the games I watched, the tight ends were not that big of a factor. They would seem to make one nice play a game, but that was about it. They are not world beaters there, that's for sure.
Yeah...overall their combined catches were just OK (Goff clearly favors throwing to wideouts as well as TG, obviously). I guess my concern is based on their emphasis on play action. If I were attacking us I would look to get our young LB's to bite based on their aggressive style and look to hit some seam routes in the middle of the field (and perhaps emphasize TE).

If we limit any early mistakes (when Dak is most prone to have any yips to his game) and we're able to frustrate them with our defense, I think Goff gives us some help via an interception or two as the game wears on (he locked onto receivers BIG TIME during the Bears game and we need to take advantage and close the show).

I am pretty excited about our chances this game...we just need to avoid coming out flat against what will be a pretty fresh and fired up Rams team. Should also help that half the stadium will be Boys fans. ;)