Scouting the Rams

ejthedj

Reaction score
Not sure what you're watching but Littleton is a beast and just had a terrific season as their stud starting ILB.

He didn't flash in the games I watched. His stat lines in those games -- only one game with 10 combined (solo and assist) tackles. No fumbles, no ints. Four games with eight combined tackles, one with seven, one with four. So maybe it was just the games I watched, but he was far from a stud in those games. Plus, their linebackers just do not fill. They look afraid of contact. Time after time, if the back cleared the dline, they would gain another 4-5 yards before being tackled. I don't think anybody with Suh and Donald whose LB core gives up 5 yards a pop running can be considered a stud. And those stat lines are average at best.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Yeah...overall their combined catches were just OK (Goff clearly favors throwing to wideouts as well as TG, obviously). I guess my concern is based on their emphasis on play action. If I were attacking us I would look to get our young LB's to bite based on their aggressive style and look to hit some seam routes in the middle of the field (and perhaps emphasize TE).

If we limit any early mistakes (when Dak is most prone to have any yips to his game) and we're able to frustrate them with our defense, I think Goff gives us some help via an interception or two as the game wears on (he locked onto receivers BIG TIME during the Bears game and we need to take advantage and close the show).

I am pretty excited about our chances this game...we just need to avoid coming out flat against what will be a pretty fresh and fired up Rams team. Should also help that half the stadium will be Boys fans. ;)

This is their game plan, but more with receivers. Their favorite and most successful play is a deep-in to the WRs off play action. And it works. A lot.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Not sure what you're watching but Littleton is a beast and just had a terrific season as their stud starting ILB.

Maybe this explains it -- Littleton had 84 tackles after 8 games, and only 125 after 16. Most of the games I watched were in the second half of the season.

He's tiny -- a little over 220. So he's probably better in pass coverage than I noticed. But he was one of the ones who stood out as afraid of the big boys. Their linebackers don't fill holes. They catch runners and fall backwards. Not a good trait with Zeke.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
He didn't flash in the games I watched. His stat lines in those games -- only one game with 10 combined (solo and assist) tackles. No fumbles, no ints. Four games with eight combined tackles, one with seven, one with four. So maybe it was just the games I watched, but he was far from a stud in those games. Plus, their linebackers just do not fill. They look afraid of contact. Time after time, if the back cleared the dline, they would gain another 4-5 yards before being tackled. I don't think anybody with Suh and Donald whose LB core gives up 5 yards a pop running can be considered a stud. And those stat lines are average at best.
Disagree 100% he put up better numbers than Smith or LVE.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Maybe this explains it -- Littleton had 84 tackles after 8 games, and only 125 after 16. Most of the games I watched were in the second half of the season.
I'm pretty sure he had a pick six to end his season as well....

ejthedj

Reaction score
Disagree 100% he put up better numbers than Smith or LVE.

No way. He had 2 ints in a meaningless last game against a bad team. 1 Int against the Raiders week one. 2 sacks against a bad team, too... other than that, his stat sheet lacks flash plays, which is exactly what I saw. An undersized but speedy linebacker, but not even in the same league as LVE or Jaylon.

Otto65

Reaction score
Defense needs to attack Goff. Hit him early and often. Need a big game from Awuzie and Heath. Bookmakers like the Rams. I think there could be a couple of upsets this coming weekend. I would like to see the Cowboys vs. Eagles in the NFC Championship game!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dallas needs to sell out to stop the run and bring lots of blitzes to get Goff rattled. They blitzed the hell out of Wilson and it worked perfectly. I hadn't seen that much blitzing since the NO game. We rattled both Brees and Wilson. We can do it to Goff too.

Actually, there's a tweet out there saying this IS NOT what you wanna do coz you're vulnerable to their play action which is deadly. The Lions and Eagles both used an effective discipline scheme that kept Gurley intact w/o selling out.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
No way. He had 2 ints in a meaningless last game against a bad team. 1 Int against the Raiders week one. 2 sacks against a bad team, too... other than that, his stat sheet lacks flash plays, which is exactly what I saw. An undersized but speedy linebacker, but not even in the same league as LVE or Jaylon.
Again not sure what you are watching he is 6'3'' tall and his stats blew away both the guys here. You'll see Saturday.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Well if you haven't saw the articles you weren't on here and or don't know how to use google aka you wasn't looking for them. Who said it wasn't informative for those who didn't see the articles? I was just saying how it was funny to me how this happens as far as people having opinions close in time to when mainstream articles and videos about this are put out. You can have your vote nobody was trying to stop you. This was something I notice a lot online and wanted to speak on it just like you wanting to speak on me and how you perceived my post.
Your post seemed to be accusatory and siting plagiarism. That's how I "perceived" your post. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Your post seemed to be accusatory and siting plagiarism. That's how I "perceived" your post. Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?
This isn't school my man so even though I was saying his thoughts weren't original he won't fail a class. Online really brings out the faux superhero types smh. Why my mother like I don't have both my parents? Are you trying to be an online wise guy that wouldn't mention my mother offline? Did your parents also not teach you about jumping in business that has nothing to do with you? We can all teach lessons just to show you like me aren't above doing things that aren't "necessary" because the person I quoted is grown and can stand up for themselves. They aren't some helpless child or woman I'm bullying.

Go Cowboys!!!

sideon

Reaction score
Did you actually scout them or did you just look at the bad stuff they do so you can feel more confident about the Cowboys chances?:laugh:

ejthedj

Reaction score
Again not sure what you are watching he is 6'3'' tall and his stats blew away both the guys here. You'll see Saturday.

No they didn't -- he had less tackles. His defense gives up 5 plus yards a run. And he pays behind Suh and Donald. His interceptions were off the pass rush, not anything special either. He was undrafted for a reason. He's smaller thean them, slower than them, and had worse stats. Plus only 45 tackles in last eight games (including assists). That's below league average for the position. He had some better games statistically against worse teams. But of the eight I watched, he averaged 7.5 tackles, zero sacks, zero ints, zero fumbles... Those are below average for the main tackling linebacker. Even his highlight reel outside of special teams is not impressive.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Did you actually scout them or did you just look at the bad stuff they do so you can feel more confident about the Cowboys chances?:laugh:

I watched eight games, and like I said, I expected to come away scared. But they were just good on offense (not great) and bad on defense. They went 5-3 in the last eight, which is also not the record of a great team.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
No they didn't -- he had less tackles. His defense gives up 5 plus yards a run. And he pays behind Suh and Donald. His interceptions were off the pass rush, not anything special either. He was undrafted for a reason. He's smaller thean them, slower than them, and had worse stats. Plus only 45 tackles in last eight games (including assists). That's below league average for the position. He had some better games statistically against worse teams. But of the eight I watched, he averaged 7.5 tackles, zero sacks, zero ints, zero fumbles... Those are below average for the main tackling linebacker. Even his highlight reel outside of special teams is not impressive.
Your 99.9% wrong.
JS
121 T 4 Sacks 0 Int 2 Fumble Rec 4 PD
LVE
140 T 0 Sacks 2 Int O FR & 7 PD
Corey
124 T 4 Sacks 3 Int 0 FR & 13 PD

Last edited:

ejthedj

Reaction score
How many TDs do we win by? Apparently the Rams really suck.

Let me clarify: The Rams are good. The game will be tough. I was focused on strengths (Gurley, offensive line, solid players all through the offense) and the weaknesses (they don't attack one part of the field, and their defense is mediocre everywhere but the line). I put their floor at 20 points, which is what our D averages, so I obviously think they are better than most teams we play. It's just that they are human. It's like Rocky IV -- we punch them, they will bleed.

ejthedj

Reaction score
Your 99.9% wrong.
JS
121 T 4 Sacks 0 Int 2 Fumble Rec 4 PD
LVE
140 T 0 Sacks 2 Int O FR & 7 PD
Corey
124 T 4 Sacks 3 Int 0 FR & 13 PD

He had less tackles than LVE, same sacks as Jaylon, only four more tackles. They also faced many more plays so his tackle percentage is lower than both. Yes, more ints but have you seen the replays of most of those? They were gimmees, not some amazing play. These are NFL.com stats.

Like I said, he's probably good as a pass defender but he didn't flash in the games I watched. He is not very good as a run defender, though. He's below average.