Scout's Eye: a lot to like about this offense

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tentatively enthused, but as always, wait until the games that count before proclaiming the offense healed from the diseases of the past.

Right, as there are some very good signs. But let us see how it all goes when game plans are involved, then see adjustments. And not just in game adjustments. But adjustments in say, week 6 also.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think Brown is a lock the way some people do, and if that's the case there would be room for Austin, Smith and Wilson.

first up though is the condition and issue of Noah's knee.
It was initially ruled as a knee scope before camp but he's ended up missing the entire camp and preseason, and hasn't participated in practice as of yet, and it's getting that much closer to
regular season. So it could have the look of a PUP list situation to start the season for Brown.
And if we go back to his CBS appearance during the Niners game, Stephen jones has already publicly stated that Noah Brown will be a part of this team,

and it's also not a lock that we will carry six WRs on the 53 roster, what if the club decides to go shorter at WR unit, to have a better chance to go longer at DL unit ?
Could there be a good chance that we go just five WRs instead of six ?

I do think Austin has this team made.
and imo, if it comes down to Wilson vs Smith- I really believe Cedrick W. gets that final WR roster spot because of his ability to play the slot and contributed as a punt returner.

blueblood70

Reaction score
offensive line in 07 wasn't anywhere close to this group..
I disagree they were close maybe similar is f take into account Cwill struggling while learning, Martins back is tweaked, and Tsmiths health issues..they for sure weren't as young and didnt stay together long but they were that good..that 2007 team was the most disappointing playoff loss ever, it felt like our year and the Patrick Crayton game will forever haunt us..2014 is the other, the dang Dez catch no catch..it was a catch!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Tentatively enthused, but as always, wait until the games that count before proclaiming the offense healed from the diseases of the past.

True enough -- injuries to the OL could blow up all this unbridled enthusiasm in a hurry! Pray for Tyron's & Martin's good health!!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think both WRs Smith and Wilson make the team. Wilson definitely makes the team. Wilson can play WR and special teams and I think Wilson could be an emergency QB since he played some QB in college(?) or HS. Devin Smith showed too much ability to let go.

I don't see Noah Brown making the team unless they plan to use him as TE. And I don't see another team picking him up. Don't know if he is eligible for PS.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good stuff from Broaddus once again.

I think Wilson and Smith make this team, as Broaddus states they got play on ST's, KO and PR units.
How can they not make the team.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-a-lot-to-like-from-the-offense
I wonder if Austin could be a cut, with Wilson taking over as PR. He was kind of a band aide signing this offseason with Beasley leaving and alot of questions about the back end of our depth chart. On offense he is probably going to lose alot of snaps to Pollard, so what seemed to be what was going to keep him on the team was being our PR. Wilson and Smith both offer the possibility replacing Cobb next year in the slot

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think both WRs Smith and Wilson make the team. Wilson definitely makes the team. Wilson can play WR and special teams and I think Wilson could be an emergency QB since he played some QB in college(?) or HS. Devin Smith showed too much ability to let go.

I don't see Noah Brown making the team unless they plan to use him as TE. And I don't see another team picking him up. Don't know if he is eligible for PS.
I dont think he is eligible. But I could be wrong

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I wonder if Austin could be a cut, with Wilson taking over as PR. He was kind of a band aide signing this offseason with Beasley leaving and alot of questions about the back end of our depth chart. On offense he is probably going to lose alot of snaps to Pollard, so what seemed to be what was going to keep him on the team was being our PR. Wilson and Smith both offer the possibility replacing Cobb next year in the slot
I completly agree with you. This is what I dont get either, why is Austin guaranteed a roster spot, everybody talks about if they keep six it could come down to Smith or Wilson, but for me both are on the team and Austin is let go......

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

They like Noah Brown because what he can do on offense playing multiple positions and his physical size in the redzone...what I don't get is why is Austin on this roster, he's a gadget player only and Pillard can do that

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
We have 8 probowlers this year ?

If Garrett can't win in the post season, he is an astonishingly inept HC .

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I completly agree with you. This is what I dont get either, why is Austin guaranteed a roster spot, everybody talks about if they keep six it could come down to Smith or Wilson, but for me both are on the team and Austin is let go......
I thought Austin had a good shot at making the team if 1) He outplayed Cobb 2) No one else emerged as a PR.

I really dont see him factoring much into the offense unless one of the top 3 WR's gets hurt. If your talking about roster spots that probably much offensive action, I would keep the younger cheaper guys. Guys with upside and contract control

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That's like a big WHOO HOO from you!
Me likey!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
first up though is the condition and issue of Noah's knee.
It was initially ruled as a knee scope before camp but he's ended up missing the entire camp and preseason, and hasn't participated in practice as of yet, and it's getting that much closer to
regular season. So it could have the look of a PUP list situation to start the season for Brown.
And if we go back to his CBS appearance during the Niners game, Stephen jones has already publicly stated that Noah Brown will be a part of this team,

and it's also not a lock that we will carry six WRs on the 53 roster, what if the club decides to go shorter at WR unit, to have a better chance to go longer at DL unit ?
Could there be a good chance that we go just five WRs instead of six ?

I do think Austin has this team made.
and imo, if it comes down to Wilson vs Smith- I really believe Cedrick W. gets that final WR roster spot because of his ability to play the slot and contributed as a punt returner.
At the start of TC, I had Pollard pegged as a T Austin gadget player -- occasionally showing up as a slot or scat-back -- and, ultimately, Austin's replacement. After 3 preseason games, I believe Pollard is much more a RB than I have him credit.

I agree, I think Austin sticks with the 53 and, if he remains healthy, will make a good contribution to the offense.

What do I know??

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They went 13-3, it certainly wasn’t far from being as good. That o-line was more than solid...

None of the 2007 oline ever made All Pro. Pro Bowls, but not All Pro. Frederick, Smith, and Martin are in contention for All Pro if they're healthy. They're a cut above.

Williams over Kosier? Not last year. Good chance this year.
Collins over Colombo? Probably.

And the backups? 2007 was all nobodies. Cory Procter at C. Ugh.

2007 was much better than solid with the starters. 3 pro bowl. But they weren't as good man for man as this year, and there's no comparison with the backups.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
None of the 2007 oline ever made All Pro. Pro Bowls, but not All Pro. Frederick, Smith, and Martin are in contention for All Pro if they're healthy. They're a cut above.

Williams over Kosier? Not last year. Good chance this year.
Collins over Colombo? Probably.

And the backups? 2007 was all nobodies. Cory Procter at C. Ugh.

2007 was much better than solid with the starters. 3 pro bowl. But they weren't as good man for man as this year, and there's no comparison with the backups.

Oh I think many would say Colombo was better than La’el and you left out Flozel the hotel. That dude was always in the Pro Bowl.. They were a very solid group. Come to think of it Gurode was the center and he made a few Pro Bowls as well...