News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys Hot Take: Leighton Vander Esch, worse than Jaylon Smith

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think LVE is a bit timid....and I can't blame him after what he went through. He hasn't gotten paid yet.

That probably will be Jerry's next disaster contract.

Jaylon, except for some apparent crazy aberration in 2018, always took curious angles to the ball.

I blamed that on the speed of the game and the injury.....brain saying do one thing, legs another early on. That wasn't it.

He was obviously confused in the Nolan scheme because that's apparently more difficult than the Notre Dame curriculum, and he plays and runs so awkwardly that it looks awful.

Not having a clue when to celebrate or not doesn't help things.

I still can't figure out how someone with his story is one of the most unlikable players of all time.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This is what you get when you have two clueless individuals playing next to each other. Normally you have two players who feed off each other, unfortunately for the Cowboys neither one of these players knows how to take their game to ANY level the past couple of seasons. It's a combination of stupid and stupider!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can I ask why you would take LVE over Jaylon? Is it his 16% missed tackle rate? Or his inability to be on the field for more than half the time?

His ability to still make impacting plays versus Jaylon when he’s on the field.

56970395-F0-DC-4-C96-BEFE-4-D0-EF11-FF5-A8.jpg

cern

Reaction score
imo, LVE plays scared now. plays as if if he's always thinking of reinjuring his neck. that will never work. much too tentative. i see no way he can recover from this mental aspect of his game. sadly, a first round bust.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing that the scheme and personnel changes over the last two years have coincided with their poor play.

InTheZone

Reaction score
-LVE lost any alpha traits he showed his rookie year and he looks lost and now weak - his injuries have broken him mentally and physically.
-Smith is a beta pretending to be an alpha who celebrates any tackle he was carried for 5 yards, because apparently positive energy means success for him. Any inability is distracted by the explosive plays made by the opposing offense.

slick325

Reaction score
Get a Grade A 1tech at DT to protect the LBs and that will go a long way. Also, allow Quinn to assess the defensive roster and decide who he wants to keep. If he thinks that he needs a LB at 10 or in the 2nd...pull the trigger. I would be happy with Dylan Moses in the 2nd tbh.

But, the Jones have to keep their noses out of the evaluation or be involved without attempting to exert their influence. Let the coaches figure it out.

visionary

Reaction score
LVE is just looking out for number one

He knows he is one hit away from retirement and is close to his contract renewal. Like his other overpaid teammates on the team he wants to get paid before he finishes his career on the sideline. So he’s going to say all the right things and ‘be a force’ but will be careful’ during games.
He just wants his second contract

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Lve has had a legitimate pro-bowl season as a rookie. Yes, injuries and poor play since, but at least he have seen high-level play out of him, can't say the same thing about Jaylon and he's the one on the big contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
Can I ask why you would take LVE over Jaylon? Is it his 16% missed tackle rate? Or his inability to be on the field for more than half the time?

Right now, he's cheaper. He also isn't as spastic on the field as Smith. Smith is like the Energizer Bunny out there (but not in a good way) running himself out of plays, etc.

dfense

Reaction score
None of the LBers played very well in 2020. Scheme probably did not help.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This is dumb. LVE can play. His problem is his body holding up.

Jaylon just can't play, or doesn't want to in the name of preserving himself for off-field reasons.

cowboyec

Reaction score
draft nc states alim mcneill or fsu's marvin wilson...and put 1 of'm along side neville gallimore and see if that changes things.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
This is dumb. LVE can play. His problem is his body holding up.

Jaylon just can't play, or doesn't want to in the name of preserving himself for off-field reasons.
Can he though? When he's actually been on the field, he's not producing at all.

cern

Reaction score
LVE is just looking out for number one

He knows he is one hit away from retirement and is close to his contract renewal. Like his other overpaid teammates on the team he wants to get paid before he finishes his career on the sideline. So he’s going to say all the right things and ‘be a force’ but will be careful’ during games.
He just wants his second contract
Are you fooled by his act? Or are you justifying this form of fraud. He won't fool dan quinn. Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now.