Video: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Prepare for free agent bargain hunting

Oneiros

Reaction score
There's been bargain basement signings already and we still haven't taken advantage of them.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
They will never, ever learn. Instead of filling one or two holes with proven players they want to carpet bomb the roster with fringe players hoping they get lucky.

And then every year it seems the holes most fans could see in the offseason show up and the team generally is a flawed roster year in and year out.

And instead of learning, they seem to dig in more thinking they are the smartest people in football............ while not sniffing a conference title in 23 years.

LLLOOOLLL, THIS!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Granted, it remains to be seen what they do in the draft, but as of now it appears they are approaching CB the same way they did WR in 2018 when they ran out a bunch complimentary receivers thinking they could run the offense successfully.

Who is the lead dog at corner for us that can strap down an opposing team’s best WR?

I don’t see Awuzie as that guy and certainly not Lewis or Brown.

Maybe we get C.J. Henderson in the draft but are we then going to give that responsibility to a rookie?

LET'S say if Henderson and Kinlaw are sitting there at 17 (thanks red), who do we take because yes we got McCoy but at 33 surely one guy is not Superman.

morat1959

Reaction score
They will never, ever learn. Instead of filling one or two holes with proven players they want to carpet bomb the roster with fringe players hoping they get lucky.

And then every year it seems the holes most fans could see in the offseason show up and the team generally is a flawed roster year in and year out.

And instead of learning, they seem to dig in more thinking they are the smartest people in football............ while not sniffing a conference title in 23 years.
Nailed it!

morat1959

Reaction score
While I agree the D doesn’t look very good right now, just the fact that the old man and his ancient schemes are gone should be a major upgrade. The old fart never should have been hired. He was awful!

johneric8

Reaction score
I think some of you guys jump the gun a bit and start forecasting doom at the first sign of players leaving via free agency. Lets look at the facts for a second here.

Marinelli and Kris Richard were virtually playing two different defensive styles that had zero fluidity. This was allowed to happen because we had the freckled puppet
as our head coach whom didn't believe in holding his coaches or players accountable, or moreover, he didn't have that luxury because of his total castration after we
pooped the bed against the Rams in the playoffs.

We already have a presence in McCoy that we haven't had in terms of eaten up space, sure Byron Jones is a great player but you know darn well they're going to bring in some corners and safeties. I think we should look on the brightside for a minute, with two new defensive coaches with a new philosophy there is a great chance that our defense ends up being at least mediocre right outside the gate. Lets not forget we have some good players still to build around. With a good sound philosophy, and player aquisitions, this team may turn the script! Lets look for the positives, remember, this is a new coaching staff with TONS of experience! Jason Garrett was a joke, you know it, I know it, the world knows it. Lets rejoice in Big Mike M!

pgreptom

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Prepare for free agent bargain hunting...

1179891016.jpeg

Fans who are going mad watching all the missed opportunities fall off the free agent board need only look back to the Dallas Cowboys recent track record to...

Read Full Story

Amari isn't a top 10 receiver? Why is losing Byron the end of the world when you actually have depth at the position?

Amari is 10th out of all receivers in the NFL in the last 2 years in terms of WR reception yards and he has more TDS than 5 guys ahead of him.

The argument against Cooper seems so baseless. Sooo if you watch this video and follow this guys suggestion - you tag Cooper, and then pay him even more next year? He was a $14 million cap hit in 2019 and in 2020 his cap is $12 million. Sure his cap number is $22 million in 2021 and on but there is supposed to be a very large cap increase in 2021.

If the salary cap in 2021 is say, $215 million and you've got a $22 million cap hit for Cooper... that's 10% of your cap. The $12 million cap hit this year is very similar to a restructuring later in the contract. The Saints just restructured Michael Thomas's deal yesterday only a year after extending him to free up cap space.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Prepare for free agent bargain hunting...

Fans who are going mad watching all the missed opportunities fall off the free agent board need only look back to the Dallas Cowboys recent track record to...

Read Full Story

All the new defensive coaches should have a few pet cats they have experience with to bring to the team. That's one of the benefits of new staff.

Flamma

Reaction score
People don't realize the jones' take their family vacation every year around the first week of free agency.

LOL yes. Every year. Even though that shouldn't matter with multi media, it does seem to show just how much interest they truly have.

honestly can’t be much worse. Darnold and Trubisky looked like all pros against last years bunch

I'm hoping the new DC will be a lot better. Rod was very vanilla. But he wasn't our worst. Remember Rob Ryan was it? He was absolute flotsam. I'd swear he was paid by his opponents.

Rayman70

Reaction score
People don't realize the jones' take their family vacation every year around the first week of free agency.
yup, its stupid and no coincidence. Football is a happenstance and not high up on the totem pole to them. Its all relative. They treat it like a hobby instead of a business. A hobby that profits from its past success and branding/merch...not what it actually IS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I see MM drafting well and then looking at the June 1 cuts to fill voids. All teams do this. Lets just wait and judge it later. Its only march.

We usually fill holes before the draft with ok veterans so that we can draft clean. I think we've done that with Brown and McCoy. Then we really dumpster dive after the draft.

The only true hole I see is at SS, where we lack a credible veteran starter with The GOAT gone. But I have yet to hear a peep about us looking at free agent safeties.

I'm penciling in Gregory as RDE. I'll be surprised if they sign anything close to a Quinn quality RDE. I think it's just value shopping at RDE now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
MM isn't in charge of the draft.

This is a non playoff team that has lost more talent than it has gained. But I see fans saying...

MM will fix the offense
MM will fix the defense
MM will fix the game management
MM will draft well
He may not be in charge of the draft, but if Marinelli had as much sway as he did at the top of drafts... McCarthy should hold even more.
And he can fix a couple of those things you mentioned.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
yup, its stupid and no coincidence. Football is a happenstance and not high up on the totem pole to them. Its all relative. They treat it like a hobby instead of a business. A hobby that profits from its past success and branding/merch...not what it actually IS.

The Jones treat the Cowboys like a sports entertainment *business*, and one that they are the best in the world at. That comes with pluses and minuses for fans. Jerry is the reigning champion of Super Bowl of sports entertainment business owners, and has been for years. Winning championships is extra, but with him talking about this likely being his last CBA, he may start indulging his hobby a little more.

davey999

Reaction score
Yes we understand what their plan is - problem is, it hasn't worked.