Video: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Prepare for free agent bargain hunting

quickccc

Reaction score
yep Stephen seems like he is always in that Money ball mode.

- the way he somehow lured Randall Cobb here on a 1 year deal for just a bit over 5 million .... Stephen is ever looking for that kind of Money ball plan
with Cobb developig a rep for declining injury proner Cobb's market value was way down and Jones was able to seize it.

- the way he was able to orchestrate the robert quinn trade for 8-9 million a year on his existing contract, while only surrendering a 5th or 6th round pick
because Quinn's value was in question because of questionable back issues. ...Stephen took advantage.

- and i wonder because of the way he's taken advantage and got terrific production such as these, ..this will drive Stephen's determination to continue bargain hunting
and strike lightning in a bottle.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This D is gonna be a disaster
I think Jerry and his boy look at the defense the same way he looked at coaching back when
he got rid of jimmy, any one of 500 coaches = any one of 500 players can be our defense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yep Stephen seems like he is always in that Money ball mode.

- the way he somehow lured Randall Cobb here on a 1 year deal for just a bit over 5 million .... Stephen is ever looking for that kind of Money ball plan
with Cobb developig a rep for declining injury proner Cobb's market value was way down and Jones was able to seize it.

- the way he was able to orchestrate the robert quinn trade for 8-9 million a year on his existing contract, while only surrendering a 5th or 6th round pick
because Quinn's value was in question because of questionable back issues. ...Stephen took advantage.

- and i wonder because of the way he's taken advantage and got terrific production such as these, ..this will drive Stephen's determination to continue bargain hunting
and strike lightning in a bottle.
yeah it will probably motivate him to do more of the same, make him think he is really smart.
he could also tell the players, come play for us real cheap, and then your value goes way up,
and you can sign with another team for 3-4 times as much as what we pay u.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
MM isn't in charge of the draft.

This is a non playoff team that has lost more talent than it has gained. But I see fans saying...

MM will fix the offense
MM will fix the defense
MM will fix the game management
MM will draft well

The offense was very productive, but stalled at times on long drives. I would count on McCarthy making some tweaks that lead to more points. The offense remains in place except Witten and Cobb. Everyone complained about Witten's speed so perhaps having Jarwin on the field will help open the offense more. Cobb was productive but not worried about replacing a 3rd receiver.

Defensively we lost some starters, but the scheme was so bad we made QBs over come their fear of seeing ghosts as we rolled out the most basic scheme possible. There are holes to fill at S, CB, and some question marks on the edge but presuming Crawford and Gregory are ready to go and we add some talent in the draft the dline will be fine. They have 3 corners that can start and still have time to add another player. Safety is a big question mark as I'm not sure any in house guys other than Woods should start at this point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They will never, ever learn. Instead of filling one or two holes with proven players they want to carpet bomb the roster with fringe players hoping they get lucky.

And then every year it seems the holes most fans could see in the offseason show up and the team generally is a flawed roster year in and year out.

And instead of learning, they seem to dig in more thinking they are the smartest people in football............ while not sniffing a conference title in 23 years.

This strategy would actually be fine if they didnt draft horribly as per Marinelli.

Instead of taking Taco, they take Watt and the DE position is stacked. Instead of Hill they take Rapp and we have a young stud a SS. So the only true big hole right now would be DT and Mccoy was a nice signing there. We take a CB with the first picka and things are looking real nice about now.

Marinelli and his stupid "type of guy" made us pass on good football players for scrubs he thought he could coach up.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
McCoy is more than a fringe player and Haha is as well. Both are upgrades. A couple more decent moves and this could be a very good FA period. Like to get all the big holes filled so we can draft for players, not for needs.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McCoy is more than a fringe player and Haha is as well. Both are upgrades. A couple more decent moves and this could be a very good FA period. Like to get all the big holes filled so we can draft for players, not for needs.
McCoy may have a couple more years left in the tank, and thats all we really need from him

Reaction score
bargain-bin.jpg

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think Talib is done, not any better than what we have and likely to be more expensive. Sanders would be perfect but I think he will be too much $$$. I really think we need to spend on the defensive side.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Think about our $$$ spent. We have Tank and Smith being paid top $ on defense. The rest are on lower end deals. Put some money into the D. It is where the biggest gains can be made.

On offense, we are paying top dollar at WR, RB, QB, LT, C, RG, RT and honestly, which of those are we getting value for? The fact that guys like Gordon and Gurley are getting cut and no one is offering them anything near what we paid Zeke puts us at a huge disadvantage at that spot.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LOL yes. Every year. Even though that shouldn't matter with multi media, it does seem to show just how much interest they truly have.

I'm hoping the new DC will be a lot better. Rod was very vanilla. But he wasn't our worst. Remember Rob Ryan was it? He was absolute flotsam. I'd swear he was paid by his opponents.
They have no interest