News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Why do fans always side with ownership?

Flamma

Reaction score
This isn't rocket science. I take the side of the team because I am a fan of the team. I don't care what a player makes. A players pay doesn't make me happy, the team does when they win. If there was no salary cap I would fully expect Jerry to break oven the vault or sell his yacht to pay Dak.

The salary cap is a game outside of the actual game on the field. It has to also be played and won. If you're playing to win you have no choice but to take ownership's side. That is unless you have some kind of a man crush.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Almost everyone I know personally.

Losing money in professional sports was actually very common . A million a month in the larger scheme of things is actually minuscule.

Everyone knew it was a short term setback in Dallas until winning was restored but it didn’t really effect the value of the franchise.

so, like, how many people is that?

jnday

Reaction score
How lucky would he have been if his injury was career ending without a contract. A players career is always the next play away from being over.

No one is over paid if they hold that much value to who’s paying them.

The Cowboys got lucky in drafting a 4th round pick who became their franchise QB . He saved them tens of millions his first 4 years. And he saved them future and further draft picks and or FA contracts looking for another QB.
He made over $30 million. He would have been fine. Many of you seem to forget that common working people gets injured at their jobs and those jobs don’t pay nearly as much as the pay rate for a 4th round draft pick. I injured my neck at work when I was only 35 years old. After many surgeries to my neck and back, I now have more titanium in my neck than vertebrae. My back is worse than that. I didn’t have a job that even came close to paying NFL money. For some reason, fans thinks it’s so horrible that NFL players can get injured, but they definitely have a better life than common, everyday, working people that don’t have the salary or benefits that players have. Dak didn’t save the team anything. He made himself more money than most people even dream of. The Cowboys gave him the opportunity when other teams didn’t, so he should have a lot of appreciation for the Cowboys giving him the chance to make more money than other people ever dream of. Yes, many players are overpaid because their production and accomplishments don’t match the expectations and salary that they receive.

jnday

Reaction score
After the past 24 years I’m staunchly anti-ownership in virtually every scenario. The Jones family has done more than enough to prove they don’t know how to run a successful nfl franchise in terms of the product on the field
You make a good point, but it is Jerry’s toy and he can do with it as he pleases. As fans, we are the dummies that continue to support the team with our money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So many players nowadays are inclined to gauge their worth by the ridiculous contracts that are routinely granted them. If they don't make as much as the players next to them, they pout and consequently, perform according to their level of dissatisfaction. Greed has become a far too commonplace a thing to lean upon in modern times. Those who don't follow that inclination are seen as suckers. It's an extremely unhealthy scenario in today's pro sports. Owners like Jerry have viewed overpaying them as an incentive to excel, rather than taking pride in a job well done. Now, Stephen tries to curb that impulse.
How many times do you see players of all sports connect respect to how much money they're being offered? Pisses me off every time I see that.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He made over $30 million. He would have been fine. Many of you seem to forget that common working people gets injured at their jobs and those jobs don’t pay nearly as much as the pay rate for a 4th round draft pick. I injured my neck at work when I was only 35 years old. After many surgeries to my neck and back, I now have more titanium in my neck than vertebrae. My back is worse than that. I didn’t have a job that even came close to paying NFL money. For some reason, fans thinks it’s so horrible that NFL players can get injured, but they definitely have a better life than common, everyday, working people that don’t have the salary or benefits that players have. Dak didn’t save the team anything. He made himself more money than most people even dream of. The Cowboys gave him the opportunity when other teams didn’t, so he should have a lot of appreciation for the Cowboys giving him the chance to make more money than other people ever dream of. Yes, many players are overpaid because their production and accomplishments don’t match the expectations and salary that they receive.

What the hell you talking about? There is no freaking way Dak can live the rest of his life on 30 mil., plus the millions in endorsements. When I was working as a Computer Programmer making $87,000 a year we damn near starved!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make a good point, but it is Jerry’s toy and he can do with it as he pleases. As fans, we are the dummies that continue to support the team with our money.
Yep, he has received validation from the fans by being the most profitable team in the league and most valuable franchise.

All of our complaining about the 25 years is a little ridiculous since no one is making us stay fans of the team. We choose this team. And he comes along with it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yep, he has received validation from the fans by being the most profitable team in the league and most valuable franchise.

All of our complaining about the 25 years is a little ridiculous since no one is making us stay fans of the team. We choose this team. And he comes along with it.

That is fine if he wants to play with the Cowboys, but to think he can hold the team hostage from contending because of his greed and his self importance, he needs to go or come back down to earth and earn that big payday, and 8-8 or so every year just don't cut it if he really wants a name for himself and the money that comes with that. Fix the defense and special team to help Dak, otherwise, just cave to him, give him the money he wants and away we go...8-8 or so, then complain that the other players did not help.

Last edited:

tm1119

Reaction score

Ya trust me I’m very much numb and have accepted the situation for what it is.

The saddest part of it all though is that Jerry is so good at the non-football side of business that I don’t think he even needs the diehard fans anymore even if they were to stop supporting. Jerry World will always be packed because of the spectacle of it, and cowboys merch will always sell to casual fans that see the star. As evidence of the past 2 decades, the W’s really only matter to what amounts to a very small % of the population- And Jerry aint 1 of us.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I hear what you’re saying.

But my ultimate point is. The salary cap is an artificial construct, that whatever it was created for, acts as a means to limit the salaries can be ultimately paid based on the agreed upon revenue sharing between the teams and players Union.

If there was no cap, each individual team would be ultimately making its own choice for how much they want to spend on their players.

Owners who are wealthy outside of football could even choose to take an overall loss on players salary, in the name of trying to win.

Now the cap does have negative impacts on driving down salaries for mid to low level players as the star players continue to push and soak up more and more of the pie. You’re right about that.

The artificial construct is why fans care about player salaries so much though. If Jerry Jones was losing money on the cowboys. By paying players ungodly amounts of cash in an uncapped league. Would any of us care? I wouldn’t. Maybe other fans would. Idk
Exactly right. The salary cap exists because the owners don't trust each other to spend reasonably. The players aren't the ones that want the cap.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Why do fans always side with ownership?

The Dallas Cowboys fan base is beyond loyal. They are supportive, rabid and inherently believes it is their divine right to win the Super Bowl. Every. Sing...

Read Full Story

The answer to the question of why some fans side with Stephen and Jerry is two fold. First there are the "fans" that just hate Prescott for all the reasons the haters keep bringing up. The second reason is even if there are some who like Prescott they don't want to see the Cowboys pay market value for him so then the Cowboys could spend all of that money on defense and then they can compete. The problem with that is they won't have a franchise QB so either squander draft picks to move up and take on in the4 draft, but there's no guarantee that the next QB will even be as good as Prescott so this sets that Super Bowl appearance back a few years. Oh did I mention that along with those dollars saved from not signing Prescott that it won't be enough to fix all the problems on defense so they will need their top picks for defense, but they just used those on a QB.

So those that side with the team on Prescott really haven't thought out everything that goes along with doing that and that it won't turn the Cowboys into a Super Bowl team in the next couple of years.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Because as much as I love certain players, they come and go all the time.

No matter what, I am a Cowboys fan in the end.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This attitude with “ common working people” appears to be a common thread with fans that take issue with players making millions. I suppose they take issue with any elite in society.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Of course we side with the team. Most these players don’t stay Cowboys their entire career

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a BS premise. Only us older cowboy fans who remember 20 straight years of winning records and 5 super bowl rings have such expectations. Younger fans just want their pet cat to stay on the team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dallas is the safe bunch.. Hiring Mike McCarthy, building only through the draft, signing our guys like Dak & Zeke to whatever stupid number the league set.. That’s the Cowboys.
This and add "cheapo" to the mix. also dont forget the jaylon extension which was beyond stupid , he should have been traded or cut.
jones boys extended him so that they didnt look stupid for drafting him.

Fans dont side with ownership, they may say dont pay dak , but that has nothing to do with jones boys, and in fact is going against the ownership,
because the owner wants to sign dak!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its a BS premise. Only us older cowboy fans who remember 20 straight years of winning records and 5 super bowl rings have such expectations. Younger fans just want their pet cat to stay on the team.
Yea, we didn’t care if it was Meredith, Morton or Staubach who led us to championship.. we just wanted to win.

They all were championship caliber QB’s but only one got it done. And that’s the one we idolized .

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hundreds maybe more. Most importantly , can’t think of anyone who doesn’t agree. Except for a few anonymous fans on a forum.

So, just to reiterate, you know possibly thousands of Cowboys fans, and they all agree losing a million dollars a week isn’t a big deal.

Cool.