SDogo Draft and FA Prep Thread V 1.0

CCBoy

Reaction score
Think, that the Cowboys would seriously be considering Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, and Duke Kuechly now?

Oh, and what a fun and interest provoking read here...:starspin

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Fantastic info Sdogo. Much appreciated.

One question though, If the Cowboys fail at landing a significant OL (Nicks etc.) would they be willing to move up to land DeCastro? I am wondering if they see this as their biggest concern or do they view the OL/CB/Pass Rusher need the same?

Again, thanks for the great thread and keeping us up to snuff.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Woods;4421675 said:
Thanks SDogo. Much appreciated.

With regard to Brooking, I hope he takes the coaching option at this stage in his career. But I can understand that he is Garrett's type of player.

Coaching his his desire but the playing the game does not leave your blood easily.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Good stuff. Very appreciated. Anxiously await more Cowboy's news.

SDogo

Reaction score
realtick;4421682 said:
Thanks for the info SDogo!

Few things:

- Alshon Jeffrey's apparent drop in the scouting realm doesn't surprise me.

Me neither, I spend a lot of time around the South Carolina program and while liked by his team mates his work ethic has been questioned. He is drawing comparisons to former USC WR Mike Williams.

realtick;4421682 said:
- I'm a bit surprised to hear Michael Egnew making "waves."

As am I. He's not a over physical TE and lacks blocking ability and the knock on him has always been he's too slow footed for WR so I'm not seeing the same thing.

realtick;4421682 said:
- I wouldn't be shocked if Vontaze Burfict sneaks into the end of the 1st round, but more than likely I think he's going to drop like a ton of bricks. I also think he's going to disappoint at the combine because he's rumored to be overweight and I personally, I think he's vastly overrated as an athlete.

I agree, I want nothing to do with him. It's too easy to connect the dots and give him to the Ravens but I feel this is probably where he will go in Round 1.

realtick;4421682 said:
- The Saints interest in Vincent Jackson seems confusing. I'm assuming they either like him better than Colston, or see him as a viable replacement to him. Either way, Jackson isn't going to come cheap.

I actually believe he will be cheaper then Colston as do the Saints, he also gives them a big body at WR which was lacking at times.

realtick;4421682 said:
- I don't follow this statement...."I was told by one scout that if he continues to struggle during the draft process he may solidify himself as a Safety prospect which many are considering already."

***If it's not his off-the-field arrest, then how has he been "struggling" with the draft process already as the scout seems to infer?

When the dust settled after the season a lot of teams were able to really sit down and evaluate Kirkpatrick. His footwork, speed and fluidity really came to the surface. He played much more like a safety then a CB but was able to get away with it at the college level. There is concern about his ability to stay with NFL WR's. He is a physical CB but in the NFL, all the WR's are physical and bigger. I really think he is a victim of being a larger CB in a era when teams are looking for them. Kind of ironic.

realtick;4421682 said:
- The Cowboys were said to have been very interested in Tracy Porter when he came out of in the draft a few years ago. It will be interesting if they revisit him as an option in free agency.

If you remember, Porter was a player that came in for a visit and drew a lot of interest from the Cowboys. At a time when Dallas was not looking specifically for a CB the activity around Porter alone lead Jerry to explain in a interview that selling the Dallas Cowboys to draft prospects was not only about the draft but down the road in FA. He stated that making an impression now only opens the door later on.

realtick;4421682 said:
- Chris Cooley's plight makes me laugh. Enjoy your new blogging career you daisy-duke wearing cornball!

We may lose one idiot TE in the NFL East but another may be returning. I have heard the Giants may be interested in bringing back Shockey.

SDogo

Reaction score
jnday;4421686 said:
After thinking about the Panthers wanting DeCastro , that can't be true . I have been told that guards are not worth first round picks . There are several posters that will be reading this know what I am talking about .

Let them lie........

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;4421700 said:
You definitely have our attention. Could you give some more specifics on Kirkpatrick?

As regards Carolina taking DeCastro at 8, that would be the first time someone took a guard in the top 10 in how long? As much as I love the guy, that seems a little high for him.

Look a few posts up. I will go back to the source on this one and try to get more information as well for a follow up.

Be honest with you, with out looking it up I don't remember the last time it has happened. There are a few teams that have him ranked as the 3rd best OL on the board and with the front 10 being loaded with teams looking for OL I think it's any OG's best chance to sneak into the top 10.

SDogo

Reaction score
CCBoy;4421728 said:
Think, that the Cowboys would seriously be considering Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, and Duke Kuechly now?

Oh, and what a fun and interest provoking read here...:starspin

I have yet to verify there is that much interest in Upshaw as is being reported and from what I have been told the Cowboys are not the excited about the pass rushing OLB's in this draft. If they do go LB in Round 1 I would expect to see the pick used on a ILB and I'm not sure Kuechly is the player they would be looking at. I'm getting more and more convinced we will start hearing more about Donta Hightower in the coming weeks.

SDogo

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4421736 said:
Fantastic info Sdogo. Much appreciated.

One question though, If the Cowboys fail at landing a significant OL (Nicks etc.) would they be willing to move up to land DeCastro? I am wondering if they see this as their biggest concern or do they view the OL/CB/Pass Rusher need the same?

Again, thanks for the great thread and keeping us up to snuff.

Sadly I don't think upgrading the OL in the draft is as high a concern to the Cowboys as it is to the fans. I believe we will see them address the OG position via FA and focus on CB and LB in the early rounds. At this point it's just a gut feeling from putting the pieces together.

SDogo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4421719 said:
understand sdogo, thanks for all the super info,, :bow: but please no mcnabb, i think he is done, and would be just a waste of time:starspin

I agree brother and I will honestly say, I threw that in there at the last minute but even myself I don't put much stock into it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
SDogo, on Nagy. Last I heard he was barely over 300 lbs. Is he likely to get any stronger/bigger now?

Coming from Wisconsin which reportedly has just about the best weight/training program in the college ranks, just how much more can we expect him to grow?

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
Thanks SDogo! How realistic is it that the Saints would let Porter hit FA?

robert70x7

Reaction score
Thanks for all that. I know I am late, but after waking up from a massive hangover, this made me feel much better.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Great stuff, SDogo. A question:

If the Cowboys are unable to sign Laurent Robinson, and he does go to the Jaguars, for example, what is our likely move? Would we pursue Eddie Royal, who Jason Garrett was high on coming out of the draft, or another FA WR like Manningham? Or maybe Meachem or Colston?

ferrispata

Reaction score
Thanks for the news/rumors. I have to tell you, I am not averse to bring in McNabb for camp. If he outplays McGee or any other drafted QB, the backup spot it his.
V. Jackson in NO does make sense. He is a good WR and should help the team. This means Colston is out the door. But I would think it will be hard to keep Nicks in this case. Which could help us if we are seriously interested. My personal opinion is that we will build the OL in the draft.
I don't see DeCastro going in the top ten though.
I am hoping somehow Claiborne slips a bit. And Jerry jumps on that and trades down. Maybe we can make the trade with Minn. and steal Claiborn. Maybe throw Felix Jones in there to sweeten the deal.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;4421776 said:
SDogo, on Nagy. Last I heard he was barely over 300 lbs. Is he likely to get any stronger/bigger now?

Coming from Wisconsin which reportedly has just about the best weight/training program in the college ranks, just how much more can we expect him to grow?

I have concerns about Nagy getting much bigger. Schools like Wisconsin, Michigan St and Michigan produce NFL Quality lineman because they have a NFL quality conditioning program. I was invited to visit with the Wisconsin staff a few years back and surprised to find out that Wisconsin employs many former NFL S&C coaches and follows a strict program that rivals many NFL programs.

Most OL that come from these programs are close to maximizing their frames before they even hit a NFL program. I honestly can't see Nagy playing more then 5-10 pounds heavier then his current weight and keeping his effectiveness.

SDogo

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;4421793 said:
Thanks SDogo! How realistic is it that the Saints would let Porter hit FA?

The Saints have a boat load of issues to address this off season and it starts with Bree's and follows down the line to Colston, Nicks, Aubrayo, Meachem and Porter. There is imply not enough money to go around. It's very likely the Saints could lose Nicks, Porter and one of the WR's this off season.

SDogo

Reaction score
robert70x7;4421797 said:
Thanks for all that. I know I am late, but after waking up from a massive hangover, this made me feel much better.

Glad I could help, lol

Primetime42

Reaction score
Love your disclaimer. Good stuff all around.

Now off I go to preach this as gospel. :)