SDogo Draft and FA Prep Thread V 1.0

jnday

Reaction score
SDogo;4421762 said:
Sadly I don't think upgrading the OL in the draft is as high a concern to the Cowboys as it is to the fans. I believe we will see them address the OG position via FA and focus on CB and LB in the early rounds. At this point it's just a gut feeling from putting the pieces together.

This is crushing news to me . I have a sinking feeling that you are right . I am so sick of these make-do olines . If this is the case , my opinion of Garrett and his plans will be at a all time low .

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
casmith07;4421802 said:
Great stuff, SDogo. A question:

If the Cowboys are unable to sign Laurent Robinson, and he does go to the Jaguars, for example, what is our likely move? Would we pursue Eddie Royal, who Jason Garrett was high on coming out of the draft, or another FA WR like Manningham? Or maybe Meachem or Colston?

I have no basis right now to back it up but I have been vocal since years end that I believe the Cowboys will address the WR position one way or another this off season and if Robinson does or does not return I don't believe will change that.

I would not look for the Manningham or Colston type but Meachem does fit that mold and is a player Dallas had high interest in coming out. Some other names I would keep an eye on are Early Doucet, Josh Morgan, Chaz Schilens and my sleeper would be Ted Ginn for obvious reasons.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
So, if the Commanders jump up to take RG III at the second pick, do you see the Browns taking Tannehill with the fourth pick?

robert70x7

Reaction score
What is the consensus rank between Reiff and Martin? Obviously Kalil will be gone, but what are scouts saying about those two?

SDogo

Reaction score
ferrispata;4421804 said:
Thanks for the news/rumors. I have to tell you, I am not averse to bring in McNabb for camp. If he outplays McGee or any other drafted QB, the backup spot it his.
V. Jackson in NO does make sense. He is a good WR and should help the team. This means Colston is out the door. But I would think it will be hard to keep Nicks in this case. Which could help us if we are seriously interested. My personal opinion is that we will build the OL in the draft.
I don't see DeCastro going in the top ten though.
I am hoping somehow Claiborne slips a bit. And Jerry jumps on that and trades down. Maybe we can make the trade with Minn. and steal Claiborn. Maybe throw Felix Jones in there to sweeten the deal.

I was big on bringing Shaun Hill in for the 2nd spot but it appears the Lions are prepared to lock him up.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
SDogo;4421762 said:
Sadly I don't think upgrading the OL in the draft is as high a concern to the Cowboys as it is to the fans. I believe we will see them address the OG position via FA and focus on CB and LB in the early rounds. At this point it's just a gut feeling from putting the pieces together.

Thank you, especially on the Janoris Jenkins front. At least, I can keep that "hope" alive. I think Jenkins is the best CB in the draft, and he's my favorite defensive pick at 14.

I have to say that I'd be really disappointed if Kelechi Osemele wasn't on this team next year. I really anticipate a defensive pick at 14, and this is the deepest, most talented guard class in years. I sure hope the Cowboys don't come out of a deep, front loaded guard class, without a guard. I think Amini Silatolu is a better player than David Arkin, and Mayock said that he could slide into round 2. Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele.. Guys like that are really, really hard to find, and you don't see them very much. Brandon Washington is another good prospect who would fit at LG.

I'd love to have Robert Meachem in Dallas, but that is a pipe-dream now.

Again, thank you for the very interesting information.

fortdick

Reaction score
Thanks SDOGO for yout time and insight. Very much appreciated.

Just wondering what your opinion is of Amendola? If Robinson was to leave, could Danny come back and fill the slot receiver roll? What is the view of him after the injury?

SDogo

Reaction score
Primetime42;4421838 said:
Love your disclaimer. Good stuff all around.

Now off I go to preach this as gospel. :)

Just be sure to take with you your own armor, seems you can be guilty by association now days.

SDogo

Reaction score
Picksix;4421842 said:
So, if the Commanders jump up to take RG III at the second pick, do you see the Browns taking Tannehill with the fourth pick?

No, I can see him going to the Commanders at 6 but my bet is and this may become my lock of the draft, is that he will land in Miami at 9.

SDogo

Reaction score
robert70x7;4421843 said:
What is the consensus rank between Reiff and Martin? Obviously Kalil will be gone, but what are scouts saying about those two?

Depending on which team you talk to these guys are interchangeable based on scheme. Down fall for Reiff is that he has been recently associated with the RT position. It did not hurt Tyrone Smith but it has not been nice to OT's in recent years.

Goku

Benched
Reaction score
thanks so much for the info sdogo.

brooking news sucks. i want a clean cut from the past. can't the cowboys see we need to get more athletic at that position....everywhere on defense actually?

SDogo

Reaction score
41gy#;4421847 said:
Thank you, especially on the Janoris Jenkins front. At least, I can keep that "hope" alive. I think Jenkins is the best CB in the draft, and he's my favorite defensive pick at 14.

I have to say that I'd be really disappointed if Kelechi Osemele wasn't on this team next year. I really anticipate a defensive pick at 14, and this is the deepest, most talented guard class in years. I sure hope the Cowboys don't come out of a deep, front loaded guard class, without a guard. I think Amini Silatolu is a better player than David Arkin, and Mayock said that he could slide into round 2. Cordy Glenn, Kelechi Osemele.. Guys like that are really, really hard to find, and you don't see them very much. Brandon Washington is another good prospect who would fit at LG.

I'd love to have Robert Meachem in Dallas, but that is a pipe-dream now.

Again, thank you for the very interesting information.

Amini Silatolu is actually my 3rd favorite OG prospect in this draft and one I feel stands the most likely chance of being chosen if Dallas goes that direction.

I would not write off Meachem yet, Like I said prior, that is a player Dallas had a lot of interest in coming out and his price tag should be friendly enough that if we lose Robinson he could fill in nicely.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
SDogo;4421853 said:
No, I can see him going to the Commanders at 6 but my bet is and this may become my lock of the draft, is that he will land in Miami at 9.

Either way, if 3 QB's go before our pick, that increases the chances of a guy we really like falling to us (unless of course, we really like and want to target Tannehill).

dantheman41

Reaction score
SDogo, have you heard anything more about the franchise tag and spencer? Is team leaning towards franchising him?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thank you Sdog. That sucks about DeCastro and the Panthers. Hope the young ones can step up next year.

SDogo

Reaction score
fortdick;4421849 said:
Thanks SDOGO for yout time and insight. Very much appreciated.

Just wondering what your opinion is of Amendola? If Robinson was to leave, could Danny come back and fill the slot receiver roll? What is the view of him after the injury?

I think he's not an option for the simple fact he is a RFA

SDogo

Reaction score
Picksix;4421860 said:
Either way, if 3 QB's go before our pick, that increases the chances of a guy we really like falling to us (unless of course, we really like and want to target Tannehill).

I'm a huge Tannehill fan.......not for his play but for his draft stock to RISE.

SDogo

Reaction score
Goku;4421856 said:
thanks so much for the info sdogo.

brooking news sucks. i want a clean cut from the past. can't the cowboys see we need to get more athletic at that position....everywhere on defense actually?

Personally I think there is less then a 10% chance he is standing on the Cowboys sideline as a player.

SDogo

Reaction score
dantheman41;4421863 said:
SDogo, have you heard anything more about the franchise tag and spencer? Is team leaning towards franchising him?

I won't be shocked, as I said earlier, the Cowboys don't see an upgrade at this point in the draft and the FA market has options but they are too pricey. One way or another I believe Spencer will be back in Dallas for at least one more year.

SDogo

Reaction score
Bigdog;4421871 said:
Thank you Sdog. That sucks about DeCastro and the Panthers. Hope the young ones can step up next year.

Odd's are either way the Panthers are going to draft a player the Cowboys have interest in. It seems our interest and needs parallel each other.