SDogo Mock Off Season V 3.0

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
No offense, SDogo...you're my boy. But I hate it outside of Wiley and Carder (and my homerific Hosley pick).

I'm assuming with this mock you've either heard that we aren't high on DeCastro, or we're expecting him to be gone. If this assumes DeCastro is gone, then it looks a lot better.

Thanks as usual, man! I know you put in a lot of ear-to-the-ground work on these...and I'm just a fan with a laptop so my "hate it" opinion is more directed toward what you're hearing than to you, of course.

You the man, bro!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
SDogo, you said McBriar won't be back. Is this because of his contract or his injury? I thought the injury was rehabbing well.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
casmith07;4446635 said:
No offense, SDogo...you're my boy. But I hate it outside of Wiley and Carder (and my homerific Hosley pick).

I'm assuming with this mock you've either heard that we aren't high on DeCastro, or we're expecting him to be gone. If this assumes DeCastro is gone, then it looks a lot better.

Thanks as usual, man! I know you put in a lot of ear-to-the-ground work on these...and I'm just a fan with a laptop so my "hate it" opinion is more directed toward what you're hearing than to you, of course.

You the man, bro!

That's cool man, I don't post these hoping to make everyone happy. There is some ear to the ground work and when the pick conflict my personal agenda comes into play.

In regards to DeCastro, you know I'm a huge fan and think that's what Dallas should do. I do not think he will be taken before 14 but either the Cowboys are real quiet on their opinion of him or they have no interest at this point because there has been no mention of him at all in any reports I have received but for that matter there has been very limited mention of any OG beyond Brandon Brooks.

SDogo

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4446638 said:
SDogo, you said McBriar won't be back. Is this because of his contract or his injury? I thought the injury was rehabbing well.

A combination of both to be honest.

Dallas is going into FA frenzy mode and I get the feeling from what I'm hearing cap room is a premium and McBriar is the exception to a long time Jerry rule. He simply does not spend on Kicker and Punters. McBriar can consider himself lucky Jerry dipped into his pockets the first time. Unless McBriar takes a considerable pay cut there will not be a 2nd time.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
SDogo;4446645 said:
A combination of both to be honest.

Dallas is going into FA frenzy mode and I get the feeling from what I'm hearing cap room is a premium and McBriar is the exception to a long time Jerry rule. He simply does not spend on Kicker and Punters. McBriar can consider himself lucky Jerry dipped into his pockets the first time. Unless McBriar takes a considerable pay cut there will not be a 2nd time.

That's to bad. When he is healthy he is a great weapon to flip the field. And with some of our woes lately, that is a big plus.

Bluestang

Reaction score
SDogo;4446642 said:
That's cool man, I don't post these hoping to make everyone happy. There is some ear to the ground work and when the pick conflict my personal agenda comes into play.

In regards to DeCastro, you know I'm a huge fan and think that's what Dallas should do. I do not think he will be taken before 14 but either the Cowboys are real quiet on their opinion of him or they have no interest at this point because there has been no mention of him at all in any reports I have received but for that matter there has been very limited mention of any OG beyond Brandon Brooks.

Do you think this "silence" may be due to Jason Garrett's team building philosphy? He said that he prefers to fill needs during the FA and then draft BPA because it doesn't force your hand during the draft.

Do you think once FA is over and we signed everyone then maybe draft reports will be more conclusive?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
SDogo;4446642 said:

Do you think any of it is smoke-screen stuff, particularly with the Cardinals expressing some interest in DeCastro?

I think if Manning signs with Arizona, DeCastro at #13 is a foregone conclusion for them, because they'll want a smart, tough lineman to protect Peyton.

I will admit Mercilus is intriguing. The tape doesn't look amazing, but again, I'm just a fan looking at YouTube vids.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Also -- i don't know if you've been working on one or not, but I really enjoy the overall/big picture off-season/draft posts that have info from all the teams. Those are always a lot of fun to read.

SDogo

Reaction score
casmith07;4446656 said:
Do you think any of it is smoke-screen stuff, particularly with the Cardinals expressing some interest in DeCastro?

I think if Manning signs with Arizona, DeCastro at #13 is a foregone conclusion for them, because they'll want a smart, tough lineman to protect Peyton.

I will admit Mercilus is intriguing. The tape doesn't look amazing, but again, I'm just a fan looking at YouTube vids.

Your and bluestang's questions are almost the same so I'll do this once.:D

A part of me believes there is some smoke screen involved. Anytime a player is unanimously projected to go in the range your drafting and it's a player you may have interest in your going to see teams play it off.

The part of me that does not believe it's a smoke screen does so because the focus so far truly has been on the front 7 of the defense at this point in the draft process. So many resources have been put into it at this point it's kind of hard to believe they would go this far out of their way that it's almost become obvious.

SDogo

Reaction score
casmith07;4446658 said:
Also -- i don't know if you've been working on one or not, but I really enjoy the overall/big picture off-season/draft posts that have info from all the teams. Those are always a lot of fun to read.

Working on it, not sure I'll have an update before FA starts. Right now it's shaping up to be about 90% draft related.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
If the draft goes like you have it planned, I think that may go down as one of the greatest drafts in Cowboy history. Seriously.

RD 1 #20 (TRADE):
Whitney Mercilus | OLB | Illinois
Trading down and getting Whitney Mercilus at OLB would be excellent. He is too much of a question mark to go much higher than that as a one year wonder, but he has all the intangibles and athleticism to be a terror opposite Ware, and an eventual replacement for Spencer.

RD 2 #42:
Coby Fleener | TE | Stanford

You are right. People will be throwing their mouses at the screen and their remotes at the TV when his name is called. But that will only be because they don't know how great a player Fleener is and how dynamic he will make this offense. I believe he is the best TE in the draft, and would be the perfect compliment and eventual replacement for Witten. He is fast for a TE, lining up at times on the outside at Stanford, and he has very good hands. He won't be as good of a blocker as Bennett, but he is still good enough to get the job done. I sooooo want this to happen.

RD 3 #73:
Jayron Hosley | CB | Virginia Tech

This guy probably would have gone in the second round in most drafts, but this class is so stocked with good CB's that he would be an excellent value for us in round 3. It may take a year or two for him to be a consistent starter in the NFL, but he has all the potential to be a multi-year pro bowler.

RD 3 #83 (Via Tenn):
Brandon Brooks | OG | Miami (OH)
Another great value here for the Cowboys. He is good enough to start right now and would fill an area of need that will help the entire offense get better, and also help add years to Romo's playing career.

RD 4 #113:
Philip Blake | OC | Baylor
Another player on the O-line that should be able to start right away and help build the O-line to one of the best and youngest in the league.

RD 5 #144:
Devon Wylie | WR | Fresno St
I don't know much about him, but if he is good as you say he is, then I'll take your word for it.

RD 5 #147 (Via Tenn):
Jerry Franklin | ILB | Arkansas
He would be a good value pick because he is versatile. He is an excellent tacker that would provide solid ILB depth and also be a good contributor to the special teams unit. He might even be first string in some packages. He reminds me of a faster Bradie James.

RD 6 #175:
Asa Jackson | CB | Cal Poly
His kick ad punt return ability alone is more than enough reasons to draft him. He is also good depth at CB.

RD 6 #Comp:
Tank Carder | OLB | TCU
I'm impressed with him. He is an underrated player that had a very productive career. Would most likely move inside in the 3-4 and provide depth with the ability to play in certain packages.

RD 7 #205:
Drew Butler | P | Georgia
Well this might not be such a bad idea if McBriar can't go.

Bluestang

Reaction score
SDogo;4446660 said:

A part of me believes there is some smoke screen involved. Anytime a player is unanimously projected to go in the range your drafting and it's a player you may have interest in your going to see teams play it off.

The part of me that does not believe it's a smoke screen does so because the focus so far truly has been on the front 7 of the defense at this point in the draft process. So many resources have been put into it at this point it's kind of hard to believe they would go this far out of their way that it's almost become obvious.

The same front seven that Jerry said was good enough and had many members on this board up in arms? This makes me LOL how so many over react at times.

Primetime42

Reaction score
You know what? I'd take it. I'd love to see Dallas go to war with this group.

Now, how realistic is it? I guess we'll find out starting Tuesday. But major upgrades would be made in this case. That defense looks a lot better with Mario giving RR the ability to mix things up. Imagine being a QB and seeing any combo of three of those four top pass rushers (and in some cases all four) lining up on the other side.

Secondary would look much more adequate in that case.

SDogo, you're teasing the hell out of me. It actually gets me excited.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4446660 said:

Well it is an interesting mock, wish we could fit a S in there (which might be a greater need than the extra CB with Carr's addition) and maybe Adams instead of Wylie.

Everything depends on free agency first though.

SDogo

Reaction score
Primetime42;4446676 said:
SDogo, you're teasing the hell out of me. It actually gets me excited.

That sounds sooooooooooooooooo wrong:laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You have us curing Harris's at WR? Any particular reason? Also Carder at OLB? The rest I'd be pretty happy with, well done.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Rounds 3 through 6 with the exception that I would prefer that at least one of the CBs be a bigger player.

Round 1 - I'm Lukewarm on this pick at #20, but at least it' not at #14.

Round 2 - It would be a hard to make this pick due to all of the other needs; however, getting a player rated in the top 2 at his position in the 2nd round is a reasonable strategy.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I agree that if we get Mario and Spencer has not signed the tag he is gone. That would then make going after Merciless logical and he starts as a rookie.

I think if Spencer does sign the tag before we get Mario and we are stuck with him then it makes Merciless some what less then likely. This years OLB crop is not particularly good and Jerruh might gamble on getting something better next year in the Draft or FA.

Mathis would be a good get in FA to fix the O line some; and with Holland that would give us solid vets at both guards for the time being. Center might end up belonging to Arkin if the rumors that he has been doing nothing but work at center are true. Just depends on how much strength he has gained this offseason. But then he needs less at Center then at guard.

cowboyjf

Reaction score
Sdogo - Truly appreciate all you do and for sharing what you can with us.

I can't believe free agency is only 3 days away. Cannot wait to see how it all unfolds!!!

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
:bow:
cowboyjf;4446711 said:
Sdogo - Truly appreciate all you do and for sharing what you can with us.

I can't believe free agency is only 3 days away. Cannot wait to see how it all unfolds!!!