SDogo Mock Off Season V 3.0

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be very happy with all of this. I like Stanton at QB and Mathis at OG in particular.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheCount;4446694 said:
You have us curing Harris's at WR? Any particular reason? Also Carder at OLB? The rest I'd be pretty happy with, well done.

Harris will likely be the odd man out if Robinson is brought back regardless if they draft or sign a WR.

They are really high on Holmes as Jerry has made well know. It's not often they carry more then 4 WR's.

It will probably come down to Holley, Radaway, Harris and Williams for the last active spot on game day. Holley would get the nudge simply because of his special teams contribution and considering I doubt Dallas goes into the season with Harris as the only PR on the roster.

SDogo

Reaction score
xwalker;4446696 said:
I like Rounds 3 through 6 with the exception that I would prefer that at least one of the CBs be a bigger player.

Round 1 - I'm Lukewarm on this pick at #20, but at least it' not at #14.

Round 2 - It would be a hard to make this pick due to all of the other needs; however, getting a player rated in the top 2 at his position in the 2nd round is a reasonable strategy.

I understand the concerns with Whitney, I have them myself

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;4446700 said:
I agree that if we get Mario and Spencer has not signed the tag he is gone. That would then make going after Merciless logical and he starts as a rookie.

I believe in my heart that's the way it will play out if Williams is signed.

burmafrd;4446700 said:
Mathis would be a good get in FA to fix the O line some; and with Holland that would give us solid vets at both guards for the time being. Center might end up belonging to Arkin if the rumors that he has been doing nothing but work at center are true. Just depends on how much strength he has gained this offseason. But then he needs less at Center then at guard.

I believe the interest in Blake is real just as the interest in OC has been strong the last 4 drafts but I'm with you, I get the feeling Arkin could make a push.

SDogo

Reaction score
cowboyjf;4446711 said:
I can't believe free agency is only 3 days away. Cannot wait to see how it all unfolds!!!

I'm giddy, I do expect some activity this year.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4446561 said:
RD 4 #113:
Philip Blake | OC | Baylor

61291_448346406184_507766184_5248034_2989215_n.jpg

Two rounds in a row Dallas adds to the OL and with out the first round trade I don't see this option as likely. Yes he will be 27 this season but teams love his experience and has many of the same traits as last years 1st round pick Danny Watkins who almost a year older. The Cowboys have now tried for 4 years to land their top center just to have them snatched in front of them. I believe this will be the year the land the prize.

I know we have been contected with him, but are they looking at any of the other centers??

My main concern with him is age of course, I hate drafting a guy who will be as old or older than Carr or Mario if we get them.

SDogo

Reaction score
Idgit;4446717 said:
I'd be very happy with all of this. I like Stanton at QB and Mathis at OG in particular.

Stanton is a name that slipped my mind. I have taken a look at the vet QB's on the market time and time again but never really considered it till recently and then when it was brought to my attention how high Dallas was on him coming out it just seemed like a good fit.

SDogo

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4446735 said:
I know we have been contected with him, but are they looking at any of the other centers??

My main concern with him is age of course, I hate drafting a guy who will be as old or older than Carr or Mario if we get them.

Be honest with you, i was given a name today and I'm having a brain fart. It's Salisbury or Quisnbury or something like that. I'll look it up in a bit.:laugh2:

EDIT: This is him. I'll be honest, I know very little about him beyond that Dallas has shown interest.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632352/quentin-saulsberry

RS12

Reaction score
SDogo a couple things. 1) Are you sold on Mercilus? One hit wonders make me nervous.

2) Thought I heard Fleener had a bad back. Dont want LaFluer part two if thats the case.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;4446737 said:
Be honest with you, i was given a name today and I'm having a brain fart. It's Salisbury or Quisnbury or something like that. I'll look it up in a bit.:laugh2:

EDIT: This is him. I'll be honest, I know very little about him beyond that Dallas has shown interest.

2012 Draft Nuggets - Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State, OC

Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State, 6024 297

Four-year starter with experience at right tackle as well as left and right guard. He has two starts under his belt at center. Plays with a good power base and quick feet. Played left and right guard interchangeably in 2010. Good initial move. Can adjust on the run. Takes a good inside out approach on kick out blocks. Lead blocker on base counter running plays for the Bulldogs. Equally efficient on log or kick out blocks. Explodes on target. Works to finish. Good lateral agility and quickness on cut off blocks. A physical knee bender with good leg drive.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4446737 said:

Ok cool, I think Blake is a good prospect, but by the time he is off his rookie contract, he would be like 30. I just don't want that, and would reverse taking a center with that 3rd pick cause I figure Brooks will be there in the 4th.

Great mock and info as always.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Williams, Spencer and Merciless, I can only see two of those three on this team, not all of them.

Regarding Lonyae Miller, he was cut last year and I think I saw him playing for the Raiders, how do we re-acquire him?

I can live with the rest though.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I know what you said of Elam, but has there been any talk at all about drafting a safety and if so who??

I would think a guy with starting potential at safety would be more important than a 4th CB, especially for this coming year. We can still get a CB next year if Jenkins walks.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, SDogo.

SDogo;4446579 said:
It's something that I'm hearing more about for sure. It's not typical for me to project trades and I hate doing it so you can imagine it took some convincing for me to waste my time on it in a mock.

It would likely have to be a whopper of a deal to get Dallas to move, IMO.

They had a nice offer last year and said no, the same deal Washington said yes to.

The team is just unlikely to move down when they're virtually certain to have players with first round grades still on the board at #14, maybe even someone they see as having no chance to be there.

The odds are much riskier sliding down to 20, there will probably only be about that many players with first round grades on the Cowboys' board.

I think they will stay put and call in the best apple that lands in their lap.

Bluestang;4446581 said:
SDogo is your source pretty concrete on the Evan Mathis signing? If so that is a very underrated signing, he was the key to the Eagles running game.

Evan Mathis (+34.6) was the highest rated G on Pro Football Focus last season, in fact, only two offensive players (both QBs) had higher scores.

Mathis (+20.4) was 1st in run blocking by a country mile.

2nd place Marshall Yanda (+6.9), 3rd place Jahri Evans (+6.7) and 4th place Carl Nicks' (+6.5) combined scores (+20.1) didn't even beat out Mathis'.

Mathis (+10.6) was 9th in pass blocking and tied for 4th (+2.0) on screen blocks.

Mathis also should have a lot of tread remaining on his tires despite already being 30 years old. He only started 22 games over 7 seasons prior to 2011.

That's a bit concerning, actually.

SDogo, given the team's apparent need at C and the depth of the G class this season, have you heard anything about going after a veteran pivot?

Bryan Broaddus tweeted earlier in the off-season that while everyone outside Valley Ranch was talking G, the internal discussions were in fact about C.

I'd like to see something like this happen:

LT - Tyron Smith, Jermey Parnell
LG - Kyle Kosier, Bill Nagy
C - Scott Wells (FA) or Samson Satele (FA), Kevin Kowalski
RG - David DeCastro (1st rd), David Arkin
RT - Doug Free, Levy Adcock (6th rd)

Tyron Smith was the best OL on the team as a 20 year old rookie with no off-season to acclimate to the team or the NFL. Smith can be as good as he wants to be and reports have it he wants to be special.

Kyle Kosier has injury issues, but he isn't overly expensive and it would be good to keep him beside Tyron Smith for another season.

Bill Nagy and David Arkin would continue developing with Montrae Holland on speed dial in case of an injury.

Scott Wells is reportedly far apart from a new deal in Green Bay and the team is said to be exploring Chris Myers. Wells wouldn't be cheap, but if fixing the pivot is a priority, he should be a target.

Samson Satele would be a fall back option, everything I've read about him says he's a consistent player. Satele won't turn 28 until November and has started 74 of his career 78 games.

He ranked in the top 5 for C's in run blocking and screen blocking last year on PFF.

I'd love to plop David DeCastro in at RG between two veterans. He projects as a career LG in the NFL, but played RG at Stanford, so why not keep him there as a rookie?

Doug Free returns to RT and will hopefully find consistency again with a regular off-season. I'm not worried about him.

Jermey Parnell will again be the swing tackle and adding an athletic guy like Levy Adcock would be nice.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SDogo;4446642 said:
That's cool man, I don't post these hoping to make everyone happy. There is some ear to the ground work and when the pick conflict my personal agenda comes into play.

In regards to DeCastro, you know I'm a huge fan and think that's what Dallas should do. I do not think he will be taken before 14 but either the Cowboys are real quiet on their opinion of him or they have no interest at this point because there has been no mention of him at all in any reports I have received but for that matter there has been very limited mention of any OG beyond Brandon Brooks.
There is definite interest.

Sorry to butt in.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Hostile;4446788 said:
There is definite interest.

Sorry to butt in.

I can't imagine the Cowboys not being interested. With the points system they use to determine BPA I find it hard to believe that they would pass on DeCastro at 14.

I understand the smoke screens and the due diligence to find out about other prospects but if DeCastro is there at 14 that is a done deal for us.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
SDogo;4446561 said:
Free Agency
Resign
Anthony Spencer | OLB
Hit with the Franchise Tag the Cowboys secured his services for at least another year. An upgrade would be welcome but options are limited.

Mario Williams | DE | Houston
I still have problems believing it no matter how many people verify it. I'm not sure how they would pull it off but it seems they are going to try. Not sure I agree with the move but eventually here I have to consider it.

SDogo;4446732 said:
I believe in my heart that's the way it will play out if Williams is signed.

Love your stuff, SDogo. If things played out this well, I'd be ecstatic. And I truly appreciate all the work you've put into it.

But in your OP, you propose that we'll keep Spencer, and then sign Williams. But then you say you believe that we'll let Spencer go if we sign Williams. So, am I missing something in your OP? I understand there's a good bit of conjecture mixed in with what you're hearing, but it seems like a contradiction there.