SDogo Mock Off Season V 3.0

Aven8

Reaction score
If we can get Mathis, Williams, and Carr in FA and keep LR I'll faint.

I hope Jerry right now is polishing his finest suit and is working on his sales pitch. The market is about to be open for business and we need some sales!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Am I right in that this is a "what I think will happen" draft?

If so, what's your "what I hope will happen" draft?

One last question, I know you follow PSU closely, so what's your opinion on Still and the Boys interest or lack of interest?

Thanks for the good read.

Woods

Reaction score
realtick;4446744 said:
2012 Draft Nuggets - Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State, OC

Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State, 6024 297

Four-year starter with experience at right tackle as well as left and right guard. He has two starts under his belt at center. Plays with a good power base and quick feet. Played left and right guard interchangeably in 2010. Good initial move. Can adjust on the run. Takes a good inside out approach on kick out blocks. Lead blocker on base counter running plays for the Bulldogs. Equally efficient on log or kick out blocks. Explodes on target. Works to finish. Good lateral agility and quickness on cut off blocks. A physical knee bender with good leg drive.

"Works to finish"

There you guy. A Garrett guy. :D

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Sasquatch;4447177 said:
Am I right in that this is a "what I think will happen" draft?

If so, what's your "what I hope will happen" draft?

One last question, I know you follow PSU closely, so what's your opinion on Still and the Boys interest or lack of interest?

Thanks for the good read.

You are correct, what I hope will happen......(

Rd1. David DeCastro
Rd2. Coby Fleener
Rd3. Bruce Irvin
Rd4. Michael Brewster
Rd5. B.J. Coleman
Rd6. Asa Jackson
Rd6. Matt Daniels
Rd7. Nicolas Jean-Baptise

To answer your second question, they have not ignored Still but they do have some concerns about his consistency and work ethic, the same thing that will cause him to drop in the 1st because most teams share that concern.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;4447218 said:

Rd1. David DeCastro
Rd2. Coby Fleener
Rd3. Bruce Irvin
Rd4. Michael Brewster
Rd5. B.J. Coleman
Rd6. Asa Jackson
Rd6. Matt Daniels

This is your want list and you got no Devon Wylie?

You got sum'splainin' to do.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
realtick;4447226 said:
This is your want list and you got no Devon Wylie?

You got sum'splainin' to do.

No Shea McClellin either:eek:

That would be my wish list mock. :laugh2:

overseas

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;4446870 said:
I'm so frustrated with the approach of Dallas in regards to the safety position I have given up.

well I think that had a lot to do with Campo & Maxie

IMO

overseas

Benched
Reaction score
yea but it makes to much sense to draft DeCastro

I mean with him a T Smith on left side

I be running Murray over the left a bunch of times

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4447218 said:

Rd1. David DeCastro
Rd2. Coby Fleener
Rd3. Bruce Irvin
Rd4. Michael Brewster
Rd5. B.J. Coleman
Rd6. Asa Jackson
Rd6. Matt Daniels

To answer your second question, they have not ignored Still but they do have some concerns about his consistency and work ethic, the same thing that will cause him to drop in the 1st because most teams share that concern.

If that did happen, I sincerely hope we signed alot of D guys in free agency cause our D would basically be unchanged.

All we can do is sign who we can get in free agency, which is why I have a list of guys I like instead of thinking about an individual player yet. Its hard to want a singular player until we know who is already on our team.

I know the thinking of finishing off the offense, then working out the D, but unbalanced teams are rarely consistently successful.

BTW, the Brewster pick would be a find, probably a little late on him, but there are quite a few mid round OL picks that are interesting this year. Really deep draft there.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
These are always fun reads, thanks for sharing SDogo.

Just a quick question, if you think Dallas is leaning towards investing their 1st Rounder on the Front 7 who are some of the other names you've been hearing they like besides Mercilus?

AZBOYZFAN

Reaction score
SDogo;4446561 said:
Free Agency
Resign:

Keith Brooking | ILB
Bottom line is the Cowboys love the guy, they want him back and he wants to be back. There is zero depth outside of Sean Lee and it can't all be filled in one off season with new faces. I fully expect him to be back in a very limited roll.

I really cant see how they dont go with a ILB from Ryan's Cleveland days

Kyle Kosier | OG
Sad to see him go, under rated OL but age and injury have caught up. Still small chance Dallas reaches out and lets him fight for a job.

I dont see how you can let a guy go who could back up all 3 interior oline spots on game day and let a team dress some other positions

Signed:

Mario Williams | DE | Houston
I still have problems believing it no matter how many people verify it. I'm not sure how they would pull it off but it seems they are going to try. Not sure I agree with the move but eventually here I have to consider it.

I cant see keeping Spencer if you sign Williams and then draft a OLB

Other Roster Moves:
Doug Free Moves from LT to RT

Draft:

RD 5 #144:
Devon Wylie | WR | Fresno St

Devon-Wylie-Bio.jpg

Yup, he's still here in my mock and my desire for a "Wes Welker" has reached an all time high. Outside of size, precise route running, big play ability, sure hands and return ability the only difference here is......well there is none. Expect this pick to stay a staple in my mock. Did you see his workout........good grief.

I remember hearing the team was happy with Harris after he dropped weight

RD 7 #205:
Drew Butler | P | Georgia

Drew_%26_Dad.jpg

I know, I know, I did not do it just to piss you guys off. McBriar will likely not be back and while it seems the Cowboys are ready to hand the job to Jones the truth is, they are not and want an option. What better option then spending a 7th on the Ray Guy Award winner and letting him battle for it. He kind of also looks like someone we know well in Dallas that kicks footballs for a living.:D

Swamp this guy with your priority CFA and that would be good.

PRIORITY FA PICK:
Sean Baker | FS | Ball State

KZMAOCHQYSEULDK.20100914152139.jpg

Ball Hawk (6 INT's) and tackling machine. Great special teams contributor and can challenge for playing time. Great in run support and all MAC 1st team.

Please see responses in quote

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
VACowboy;4447042 said:
Donnie Fletcher.

Good call, I see him as a safety in the NFL too... he'll have trouble staying with the burners if he stays on the corner...

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;4447052 said:
SDogo,

Great post. Much appreciated.

I would be fine with Fleener. Sort of a mini-Witten, so I've read.

A better comparison might be Jay Novacek, he's nowhere near the blocker that Jason is...

But hey, I wouldn't mind another Novacek type (though you might be able to get one a round later in Ladarius Green, they are in my mind very similar in skillsets)...

Woods

Reaction score
silverbear;4447476 said:
A better comparison might be Jay Novacek, he's nowhere near the blocker that Jason is...

But hey, I wouldn't mind another Novacek type (though you might be able to get one a round later in Ladarius Green, they are in my mind very similar in skillsets)...

I would be happy with Green as well. He could still be there in Round 4. (I think he's projected to go around there at least.)

silverbear

Reaction score
SDogo;4446561 said:
Free Agency
Resign:

Laurent Robinson | WR
The interest is there for both sides and rumor has it Robinson will take a discount. Romo has already voiced his desire to Cowboys brass and it's makes too much sense not to bring him back.

Anthony Spencer | OLB
Hit with the Franchise Tag the Cowboys secured his services for at least another year. An upgrade would be welcome but options are limited.

Tony Fiametta | FB
Plain and simple the running game improved when he was on the field

Jeremy Parnell | OT
Cowboys love his versatility and athletic ability. Will likely win the swing OT position in camp.

Keith Brooking | ILB
Bottom line is the Cowboys love the guy, they want him back and he wants to be back. There is zero depth outside of Sean Lee and it can't all be filled in one off season with new faces. I fully expect him to be back in a very limited roll.

Abram Elam | S
Sorry guys, it's looking more and more likely that Elam will be given a 2nd year in Dallas. They simply can't fill all the holes on defense with out having some players like Elam assist.

Cut:
Terrence Newman | CB
He is done, the struggles are well documented. His money will be put to good use.

Kyle Kosier | OG
Sad to see him go, under rated OL but age and injury have caught up. Still small chance Dallas reaches out and lets him fight for a job.

David Buehler | K
It's finally time Jerry and Jason get over their man crush, we need the roster room

Kenyon Coleman | DE
Thanks for coming back for a tour, never delivered.

Signed:
Brandon Carr | CB | Kansas City (26)
Might not be a worst kept secret in the NFL then the Cowboys interest in Carr. He will demand good money and that's what I expect the Cowboys to offer him. One of the better young CB's in the game.

Evan Mathis | OG | Philadelphia (30)
Not a name being tossed around alot but he's one of the best OG's in the NFL. A little up there in age but 30 is not old for a offensive lineman. Price tag will be significantly less then Grubbs or Nicks and gives Dallas some flexibility with out being tied into a huge contract for a long period of time and allows them to develop some younger talent.

Drew Stanton | QB | Detroit (27)
A player the Cowboys really liked coming out and has some quality NFL starts under his belt. Stanton is still young enough Dallas can flirt with departing with McGee and bring in a younger option to develop in the 3rd roll.

Mario Williams | DE | Houston
I still have problems believing it no matter how many people verify it. I'm not sure how they would pull it off but it seems they are going to try. Not sure I agree with the move but eventually here I have to consider it.

Other Roster Moves:
Doug Free Moves from LT to RT

Draft:
RD 1 #20 (TRADE):
Whitney Mercilus | OLB | Illinois

Whitney-Mercilus-624x416.jpg

Mercilus will be given a year to get used to the speed of the NFL then give Dallas the freedom and excuse to let Spencer pack his belongings. Recently has put up some great numbers in workouts and shown the mobility some questioned. While there are still concerns he seems to be shooting up the boards. The only question now is how far.

RD 2 #42:
Coby Fleener | TE | Stanford

5325224285_f8416ef15f.jpg

Did you seriously just cuss me out and throw your mouse? I know people, we are sick of drafting and discussing TE's but I'm told get ready for it, one will be taken early by Dallas. It's a poor TE class but Coby IMO is the best of the bunch (Cue the Allen crew). With Bennett leaving, Witten getting up their in age and Phillips.......yeah remember him, it's now a need and not a luxury. Coby is a great athlete and provides a huge target in the red zone. He also has the ability to make big plays. After watching Gonzalez and Gronk in NE I can't say I hate the pick.

RD 3 #73:
Jayron Hosley | CB | Virginia Tech

Bruce+Taylor+Jayron+Hosley+Virginia+Tech+v+kT4FTt2lTLEl.jpg

The Cowboys finally address the DB's in Round 3. The signing of Carr in FA allowed this flexability but I don't suspect we will see less then 3 new faces at CB this year meaning the hording of CB's in this draft is not yet done. Hosley can not only start at CB but fills a need in the return game.

RD 3 #83 (Via Tenn):
Brandon Brooks | OG | Miami (OH)

brooks.jpg

OK, the elephant in the room has been acknowledged. The Cowboys finally addressed the OL. Brooks put on a show at his Pro Day and held his own at the East/West game. The Cowboys were in attendance and at-tentative for both.

RD 4 #113:
Philip Blake | OC | Baylor

61291_448346406184_507766184_5248034_2989215_n.jpg

Two rounds in a row Dallas adds to the OL and with out the first round trade I don't see this option as likely. Yes he will be 27 this season but teams love his experience and has many of the same traits as last years 1st round pick Danny Watkins who almost a year older. The Cowboys have now tried for 4 years to land their top center just to have them snatched in front of them. I believe this will be the year the land the prize.

RD 5 #144:
Devon Wylie | WR | Fresno St

Devon-Wylie-Bio.jpg

Yup, he's still here in my mock and my desire for a "Wes Welker" has reached an all time high. Outside of size, precise route running, big play ability, sure hands and return ability the only difference here is......well there is none. Expect this pick to stay a staple in my mock. Did you see his workout........good grief.

RD 5 #147 (Via Tenn):
Jerry Franklin | ILB | Arkansas

Jerry-Franklin.jpg

A little undersized and labeled with dreaded "Specialty" player the bottom line is Dallas needs ILB depth and Franklin can be used in a number of ways. This is the type of player Ryan likes and Dallas needs.

RD 6 #175:
Asa Jackson | CB | Cal Poly

1iCeh0.MiSt.76.jpg

The 3rd new face to the CB roster for Dallas. Jackson has put together an impressive drive up the draft boards and the Cowboys were there the whole way. Getting a rep as one of the best of the 2nd tier level of CB's in this draft. Oh yeah when he gets his hands on the ball he takes it to the house. Both picks last seasons went all the way and was one of the nations best punt returners.

RD 6 #Comp:
Tank Carder | OLB | TCU

tank.jpg

Carder is quietly putting together an impressive draft prep run but maybe not so quietly as far as the Cowboys are concerned. Every given opportunity to check out and chat with Carder the Cowboys have been front and present. Seems a lot of LB's have been chosen in the draft but look at our depth. It's not that impressive.

RD 7 #205:
Drew Butler | P | Georgia

Drew_%26_Dad.jpg

I know, I know, I did not do it just to piss you guys off. McBriar will likely not be back and while it seems the Cowboys are ready to hand the job to Jones the truth is, they are not and want an option. What better option then spending a 7th on the Ray Guy Award winner and letting him battle for it. He kind of also looks like someone we know well in Dallas that kicks footballs for a living.:D

Gimme this offseason, and I'll be looking for a 12-4 season... don't ever recall reading one of these that I bought so completely... sign me up...

silverbear

Reaction score
SDogo;4446645 said:
A combination of both to be honest.

Dallas is going into FA frenzy mode and I get the feeling from what I'm hearing cap room is a premium and McBriar is the exception to a long time Jerry rule. He simply does not spend on Kicker and Punters. McBriar can consider himself lucky Jerry dipped into his pockets the first time. Unless McBriar takes a considerable pay cut there will not be a 2nd time.

I hate the cuss filter... "crap" is so inadequate...

I've been a Cowboys fan from the start, I've seen them all come and go, and Mat McBriar was for a number of years the best punter they've ever had... Danny White is second, and he's not close...

Mat is a true weapon with his ability to drive the ball crazy long and high when he can kick away, and his touch inside the 20 when he can't...

John813

Reaction score
I can definitely live with that draft. Rather not re-sign Elam or Brooking, but, it seems realistic.

Aven8

Reaction score
silverbear;4447496 said:
I hate the cuss filter... "crap" is so inadequate...

I've been a Cowboys fan from the start, I've seen them all come and go, and Mat McBriar was for a number of years the best punter they've ever had... Danny White is second, and he's not close...

Mat is a true weapon with his ability to drive the ball crazy long and high when he can kick away, and his touch inside the 20 when he can't...

I love Danny the punter! I'll bet a lot of the youngsters on this board never realized he punted to! Greatness! Thanks for the memory.