SDogo Mock Off Season V 3.0

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SDogo;4446822 said:
My bad, I did mean Tanner. Sorry my brain is fried by the time I get to that point in the post.

That's OK, bud, mine's fried by the time I read that far...

silverbear

Reaction score
Woods;4447486 said:
I would be happy with Green as well. He could still be there in Round 4. (I think he's projected to go around there at least.)

Last I checked (a coupla days ago), NFLDS had him as their 98th best prospect... he might make it down to 113, but if the Boys really did like him, they'd probably want to use that 3rd...

silverbear

Reaction score
Aven8;4447503 said:
I love Danny the punter! I'll bet a lot of the youngsters on this board never realized he punted to! Greatness! Thanks for the memory.

Y'know, when I posted that I thought it would be a brief happy memory for some long-timers...

Never was the threat of a fake punt more real...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SDogo;4446573 said:
Yeah honestly, that's the way I'm told it would play out. I'm with you, I don't see how it can happen but they look at Williams as a DE hybrid and not strictly a 3-4 OLB.

I admit, it will take some innovative packages from Ryan to justify this.

I wanted to take Spencer out, it's the only way I can justify it but my people say it can happen.

To me, they sign Williams, cut Spencer. End of story.

Question, Sdogo or Hos? Or Silverbear!
If cowboys sign mario williams, can we then possibly trade spencer if a team is interested. Granted, cowboys might use mario strictly as DE, but at OLB, with Ware, Ratliff, Hatcher, and Mario primarly rushing Ware and Mario would be a force at OLB, which is basically what 3-4 is built for, linebackers rushing. To possibly free up money for carl nicks. I feel this team (I have stated it over and over, but will state it again here) needs impact type players like a mario and carl nicks. Especially Nicks who has been on a super bowl team, knows what it takes to be a champion, and pushes other players around him to be better. Just like troy aikman said, that the early 90s cowboys didnt know what it took to be a championship team till charles haley got here and showed them what it took. We need impact players like that on this team as well as leaders, but players that hold other players accountable and you do it the right way.

Also, we can resign spencer even after he signs his tender, to a lesser friendly contract right?.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;4446797 said:
If we trade down, I hope it is to take Cordy Glenn.

:pray: If we do trade down, dont get decastro, please let it be cordy glenn. He is a monster at OG. Also, we would possibly get that extra 3rd rounder. What I would do also when you get that extra 3rd rounder, trade down one of those 3rds and get an extra 4th and 7th. Then, we are fixed for the draft. Dont trade any more or get to cute, but get some extra picks to get some good players our scouts like and recommend.

I dont like wiley, one of the things you have to remember in draft, what was the kids production, if a one year wonder why? To me 1 year wonders mean their just playing to get money and once they get that money and contract, they wont play till their contract is up again. I would rather have a player who has skins on the wall.

Finally, possibly dont trade all way down to 20th, cordy glenn will be gone before then. I am thinking glenn will be gone by 17th or 18th pick.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4447562 said:
:pray: If we do trade down, dont get decastro, please let it be cordy glenn. He is a monster at OG. Also, we would possibly get that extra 3rd rounder. What I would do also when you get that extra 3rd rounder, trade down one of those 3rds and get an extra 4th and 7th. Then, we are fixed for the draft. Dont trade any more or get to cute, but get some extra picks to get some good players our scouts like and recommend.

I dont like wiley, one of the things you have to remember in draft, what was the kids production, if a one year wonder why? To me 1 year wonders mean their just playing to get money and once they get that money and contract, they wont play till their contract is up again. I would rather have a player who has skins on the wall.

Finally, possibly dont trade all way down to 20th, cordy glenn will be gone before then. I am thinking glenn will be gone by 17th or 18th pick.

I don't think trading down a second time is a great idea.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4447599 said:
I don't think trading down a second time is a great idea.

Ok, youve got 2 number three draft picks for trading down in 1st round. You can easily get a 3rd rounder in 1st by trading down from 14th to 17th.

Then you will have 2 # 3 picks. Trade down the lowest one in 3rd round 3-5 slots lower, this should give you that 3rd and a 4th, plus maybe a 7th.

So, then you have a
1st 17th in 1st rd
2nd
3rd Cowboys pick
3rd trade down to 3-5 slots get a 3rd, 4th and possibly a 7th
4th
4th
5th
6th
6th compensation pick
7th
7th

This way after what sdogo said in his mock draft per what he has heard from his sources, you have a couple extra picks to get a safety, DE besides what sdogo drafted. Possibly you could even get a QB in 3rd round like foles or big qb from other arizona school.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4447532 said:
Question, Sdogo or Hos? Or Silverbear!
If cowboys sign mario williams, can we then possibly trade spencer if a team is interested.

Also, we can resign spencer even after he signs his tender, to a lesser friendly contract right?.

Yeah, we can trade him, but he'd have to sign his tender first. As for resigning to a longer term deal after he were to sign the tender, sure, teams do that all the time.

Theoretically, we could resign him to a longer term deal and then trade him, but that never happens. We'd be on the hook for the signing bonus and the acceleration against the cap.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;4446797 said:
If we trade down, I hope it is to take Cordy Glenn.

You'll like this Hos: :)

Live From the Combine: Friday News & Notes

23 Feb

Players as well as scouts, coaches, medical staffs and general managers from all 32 franchises have begun to descend on Indianapolis for the 2012 combine. Every day we’ll provide you with the news and notes swirling around the city. Update: Brandon Carr a Cowboy?? Riley Reiff to guard??

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6165
Sunday, February 26th

- Teams here in Indianapolis feel when the dust clears in free agency cornerback Brandon Carr will be the newest member of the Dallas Cowboys. The team will then look to use their first selection on an offensive lineman, but who? Last night we reported the Baltimore Ravens would likely target Cordy Glenn. They may need a back-up plan as word is Glenn continues to sky-rocket up draft boards and ending up with Dallas in the top half of round one is a real possibility.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;4447619 said:
Ok, youve got 2 number three draft picks for trading down in 1st round. You can easily get a 3rd rounder in 1st by trading down from 14th to 17th.

Then you will have 2 # 3 picks. Trade down the lowest one in 3rd round 3-5 slots lower, this should give you that 3rd and a 4th, plus maybe a 7th.

So, then you have a
1st 17th in 1st rd
2nd
3rd Cowboys pick
3rd trade down to 3-5 slots get a 3rd, 4th and possibly a 7th
4th
4th
5th
6th
6th compensation pick
7th
7th

This way after what sdogo said in his mock draft per what he has heard from his sources, you have a couple extra picks to get a safety, DE besides what sdogo drafted. Possibly you could even get a QB in 3rd round like foles or big qb from other arizona school.

I don't think 3-5 slots will net your an additional 4th and a 7th.

Just not a fan of collecting picks for the sake of carpet bombing the later rounds in hopes of finding a guy.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
SDogo;4446736 said:
Stanton is a name that slipped my mind. I have taken a look at the vet QB's on the market time and time again but never really considered it till recently and then when it was brought to my attention how high Dallas was on him coming out it just seemed like a good fit.

Had seen this anywhere else. An interview with Stanton.

"I feel like I have a unique situation where I still have room to grow and learn stuff from the upper-echelon guys in this league that have established themselves ... like a Dallas, or something of that nature," he said. "Tony Romo has kind of ingrained himself as the starter, and it would be a great opportunity."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/08/lions-stanton-wants-to-move-up

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Great work thanks, I dont see the M. Williams signing but I didnt think they would try and go for N. Asumuga (sp) either.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You only have room for so many rookies on the final roster then 2-4 more on the PS. There is no reason to continue to trade down and end up with 10-12 picks. IF you have targeted a couple players in the middle rounds that you really want then having a couple of extra picks and trading back up is an option. That often bites you on the butt though.

We need to really be focused and selective this off season.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Sdogo ... does losing 10 million in cap space affect getting those FA you said in the first post?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JackWagon;4448796 said:
Sdogo ... does losing 10 million in cap space affect getting those FA you said in the first post?

Sure does but I will say don't think for a moment Jerry did not know about this weeks ago and that his team has been sitting on their hands. This is not a situation that will "just happen" with out being dragged out.

scrives

Reaction score
SDogo;4448812 said:
Sure does but I will say don't think for a moment Jerry did not know about this weeks ago and that his team has been sitting on their hands. This is not a situation that will "just happen" with out being dragged out.

SDogo, if they knew this weeks ago does that mean there plans will go forward as if this was not happening. In other words, just the way you stated in your free agent strategy and draft?

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I'm reading that they can split up the $10 million however they want over the next two years, so theoretically, they could shift much (if not all) of that to next year, and still have what they project to have for this year.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
scrives;4448846 said:
SDogo, if they knew this weeks ago does that mean there plans will go forward as if this was not happening. In other words, just the way you stated in your free agent strategy and draft?

It's my understanding they knew of the penalty and had a figure estimated. My impression is this is about 3 million more then they expected. I think it will limit in some regards the moves they expected to make with value FA's but expect them to pursue the major catch they have in mind.