SDogo Mock Off Season V 4.0

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
This is V4.0 of V6.0, next to be released end of March and final V6.0 the weekend prior to the draft.

Free Agency: What we know so far.........
Resign:
Kevin Ogletree | WR
The fact that we gave him a 1 year deal says there is not much confidence he will be anything but a camp body. The fact that we signed him at all says they are willing to give him a chance to prove them wrong one last time. For right now given what we have on the roster and project in the draft I think he will stick.

Anthony Spencer | OLB
Hit with the Franchise Tag the Cowboys secured his services for at least another year. An upgrade would be welcome but options are limited. I would expect him to ride this tag through the season. Not much interest right now on either side to get a long term deal done it seems.

Cut:
Kyle Kosier| OG
I'm honestly serious when say Kosier was one of the top 3 Free Agent signings in Cowboys history. He exemplified what was right with free agency and was a glimpse into the way the process should work. Bottom line is the Cowboys were better with him in the lineup. I'm truly sad to see the run come to an end.

Terrence Newman | CB
Thanks for your loyalty and play, age caught up to you. I sure hope you come home to retire as a Cowboy.

David Buehler | K
I don't care, I don't know why Dallas did so much and I can't say I'm sad to see you go.

Signed:
Brandon Carr | CB | Kansas City (26)
Dallas and Brandon got what they wanted but it was a roller coaster ride for both and the fans. Pressure will be on to justify the contract but there is no question the position got an upgrade.

Kyle Orton | QB | Kansas City (29)
This a huge signing for Dallas. Orton has proven himself in the league and will provide a piece of mind for the Cowboys they simply would not of had with McGee.

MacKenzy Bernadeau| OC | Carolina (26)
Make no bones about it, I expect to see Bernadeau as our opening day center. Yes he played OG in Carolina but he was also their backup center. The Cowboys like how he anchors and can get to the second level and will utilize that ability at center.

Nate Livings | OG | Cincinnati (30)
I'm not going to pull any punches here, I don't like this move and I don't like the idea of Livings starting at OG day 1 but that's what is likely to happen. IMO, if Callahan turns this guy around and even makes him solid he might be the best OL coach in the NFL.

Dan Connor | ILB | Penn St (26)
Ecstatic, giddy, pumped.....I know he is not the big name fans want but when all is said and done he may turn out just as important as the Carr signing. He really started to come into his own last season and ws playing the best ball of his career. Some player are late bloomers (see Mark Anderson). He is going to push Carter and add much needed depth.

Brodney Pool | S | NY Jets (27)
This was a familiarity signing and only slight upgrade to Elam. Dallas still don't get it when it comes to safeties.

Lawrence Vickers | FB | Texans (28)
Love this move. If you like Tony you will love Lawrence. He brings the swagger this team needs and his contribution in the run game will be greatly felt.

Free Agency: What I Expect.........

Resign:
Jeremy Parnell | OT
Cowboys love his versatility and athletic ability. Will likely win the swing OT position in camp. Expect a deal to be done soon to bring him back.

Cut:
None at this moment

Sign:
No idea, I'm told the Cowboys are not done churning the roster and are waiting for the market to settle but they have eyes on a few different players. I'm not even going to venture a guess because I have no sound information at this time that allows me to do so. I know I would love to see Wimbley signed and Spencer sent on his way. I would also like to see Samson Satele brought in for competition at OC but if that move has not happened already with Callahan on the staff there must be a reason.

Other Roster Moves:
Doug Free Moves from LT to RT

Draft:
RD 1 #14:
Whitney Mercilus | OLB | Illinois

Whitney-Mercilus-624x416.jpg

Mercilus will be given a year to get used to the speed of the NFL then give Dallas the freedom and excuse to let Spencer pack his belongings. Recently has put up some great numbers in workouts and shown the mobility some questioned. While there are still concerns he seems to be shooting up the boards. The only question now is how far. Now I do believe DeCastro will be sitting there at 14 and I also believe if he is with any combo of Whitney, Brockers and Perry that Dallas will trade down. I have heard Dallas has their eyes on several pass rushers and defensive lineman. I'm starting to think they will be happy trading down and taking any one of Whitney, Brockers, Perry, Poe or Cox with a little DeCastro sprinkled in if he is still there after a trade down.

RD 2 #42:
Peter Konz | OC | Wisconsin

peter-konz.jpg

Yes he will be there and no this is not my favorite pick but it will be a good one. Konz will be given every opportunity to win the starting position and Dallas will hope he does and just slide Bernadeau over to OG. Either way it spells the end for Costa and that's a win. Recent impressive work outs coupled with on the field production justifies this pick.

RD 3 #73:
Billy Winn | DE | Boise St

Billy-Winn.jpg

Just like OC the Cowboys have targeted and failed to land their guy at DE. Winn presents an opportunity to get a impressive prospect that needs some polishing with out spending a first round pick on one. Winn presents a mismatch against bigger OT's because of his ability to get low and quickness and his big and strong enough to hold up against the run. Right now he is a bit of a one trick pony but can be coached up. Recent impressive workouts has his stock on the rise and I'm told he is one player Dallas really came away impressed with at Boise St pro day.

RD 4 #113:
Leonard Johnson | CB | Iowa St

Leonard+Johnson+Iowa+State+v+Oklahoma+ye5Dwa0f-jYl.jpg

Johnson has had a up and down draft run, there are some concerns about his speed but Rob seems to like his physicality at the CB position. He is a fiery vocal leader and has great awareness. Johnson will never be the #1 lock down corner you look for but he has played his best against top level competition and is an ideal fit covering slot WR's given his quick reflexes and instincts.

RD 5 #144:
Ryan Broyles | WR | Oklahoma

Ryan+Broyles+Florida+State+v+Oklahoma+3Dw9hv-c3Znl.jpg

I know the sighs will be loud, another damaged product but it's not like Broyles has a history of injuries. One of the most prolific WR's in the NCAA and a exciting returner to boot. The loss of Robinson will hurt and Broyles might not even be ready to go from day 1 but he is well worth the investment. I will also say, there was a player in Andy Dalton that I (along with Hos) spent a lot of time pimping as a personal favorite of Jason Garrett. For the last 2 weeks I have received that same feed back regarding Broyles. At this stage in the draft if he is still on the board I would feel real confident about this pick.

RD 6 #175:
Rhett Ellison | TE | USC

449452.jpg

Call this one a hunch pick. The Cowboys played their card with the pursuit of Kellen Davis and what they are looking for in a 3rd TE is obvious. Versatile blocker that offers consistency in the passing game. Ellison calls check but what he also brings is a nasty demeanor and lunch pail attitude. He also has a NFL mind and all this appeals to Garrett. It probably does not hurt that I'm hearing he received a ringing endorsement from last years #1 pick Tyron Smith.

RD 6 #Comp:
Levy Adcock | OT | Oklahoma St

PHP4F1DA458571BB.jpg

It's not talked about but needs to be looked at. There is virtually no depth at OT for the Cowboys and not a lot of competition going into camp. Outside of starters Smith and Free the only other OT on the roster is Parnell who is still considered a project. The only thing I'm unsure of is if Dallas will wait this long to draft a OT not if. Adcock at pass happy OK State only allowed 2 sacks over 3 years.

RD 7 #205:
Darrell Scott | RB | South Florida

133506118_extra_large.jpg

I was excited to learn of the Cowboys interest in Scott. For a while I have had an itch for them to add a larger power back. Scott had some red flag issues early in his college career and transferred from Colorado after the 2009 season. He probably could of used an extra year but decided to declare early. If he had stayed it was likely he would of went much higher in 2013. The Cowboys will look to add bodies to the stable for #3 in the backfield and will not just hand the job to Tanner.

PRIORITY FA PICK:
Sean Baker | FS | Ball State

KZMAOCHQYSEULDK.20100914152139.jpg

Ball Hawk (6 INT's) and tackling machine. Great special teams contributor and can challenge for playing time. Great in run support and all MAC 1st team.

Lineup Outlook:

OFFENSE: 25 (Blue=Starter)
QB: Tony Romo, Kyle Orton(FA), Stephen McGee
RB: Demarco Murray, Felix Jones, Darrell Scott(R)
FB: Lawrence Vickers(FA)
WR: Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Andre Holmes, Ryan Broyles(R), Kevin Ogletree, Dwayne Harris
TE: Jason Witten, John Phillips, Rhett Ellison(R)
OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Jermey Parnell, Levy Adcock(R)
OG: MacKenzy Bernadeau(FA), Nate Livings(FA), David Arkin, Bill Nagy
OC: Peter Kronz(R)

DEFENSE: 25
DE: Marcus Spears, Jason Hatcher, Billy Winn(R), Sean Lissemore, Kenyon Coleman
NT: Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent
OLB: Demarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Whitney Mercilus(R), Victor Butler,
ILB: Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Dan Connor(FA), Orie Lemon
CB: Brandon Carr(FA), Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick, Leonard Johnson(R), Mario Butler
FS: Gerald Sensabaugh, Sean Baker(R), Danny McCray
SS: Brodney Pool(FA), Barry Church

ST: 3
K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
H: Kyle Orton

KR: Dwayne Harris, Felix Jones
PR: Ryan Broyles(R), Dez Bryant

LS: L.P. Ladouceur

RS12

Reaction score
OK SDogo point blank do you think they are trying to sift through the bargain bin to fix the O Line? Based on the signings and where you have them projected it sure looks that way. Seems like it is going to take a career ending injury to Romo before they finally learn. I dont care if Callahan walks on water, what they are asking is a tall order.

Last mock you had Fleener and I agree, I still expect a skill guy in 2 or 3. Some newbie in the fan zone claims to have sources that Jerry wants to add a WR very early. Have you heard anything about this or their interest in Doucette?

Totally agree this is what they are thinking 1 st round trade BTW.

What about Leonard Johnson short arms and slow 40. We know RR likes him.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I like most of it, although it will take some guts to pick a first rounder who won't start for the team in his first year like Whitney. Long term it could be good, and we did it with Spencer, so it would definitely be an option. I like the flexibility in the thinking of this mock draft, instead of just locking on one player.

BTW, gotta find a way to fit a safety in there somewhere. Have you heard any rumblings of it?? Too big of problem to just ignore again.

Gaede

Reaction score
Love that mock. Especially like Winn, Broyles and Johnson picks

SDogo

Reaction score
RS12;4466562 said:
OK SDogo point blank do you think they are trying to sift through the bargain bin to fix the O Line? Based on the signings and where you have them projected it sure looks that way. Seems like it is going to take a career ending injury to Romo before they finally learn. I dont care if Callahan walks on water, what they are asking is a tall order.

I don't think they are sifting through the bargain bin, I think they are trying to strike proverbial "Kosier Gold" if you will. I don't have concerns regarding Bernadeau, I think he can slid into the OC or OG position and fill in nicely. Livings does worry me but I don't think his job will go uncontested. I would prefer to grab DeCastro and end it but I think if we stand pat the battle between Arkin, Livings and Nagy will be a interesting one. I also would not be shocked to see either Holland or Dockery brought back to join that battle. You can get away with average guards a lot easier then average tackles or a center.

RS12;4466562 said:
Last mock you had Fleener and I agree, I still expect a skill guy in 2 or 3. Some newbie in the fan zone claims to have sources that Jerry wants to add a WR very early. Have you heard anything about this or their interest in Doucette?

Fleener is still my preferred pick, I just have been given the nudge in another direction although it is still possible. I have not heard anything about adding a WR early but I do know at some point in this offseason you can expect a more high profile name via draft or FA brought in to compete. Doucette is a good name and a possibility although Dallas has given no hint of being interested but like I said, I have not been given any names recently in regards to free agency.

RS12;4466562 said:
What about Leonard Johnson short arms and slow 40. We know RR likes him.

It's a concern of mine as well but the scouts I have spoken to say he plays much bigger and faster then the tape shows. Attributes like that tend to get exposed at the next level but they can be overcome. Given he will primarily be a nickle, #3 CB he won't typically get matched up with the bigger wide outs so he may have to find his niche there.

SDogo

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4466575 said:
I like most of it, although it will take some guts to pick a first rounder who won't start for the team in his first year like Whitney. Long term it could be good, and we did it with Spencer, so it would definitely be an option.

I really don't look at is as picking a backup. Matter of fact if Spencer plays around with the tag and Dallas has a chance to land Whitney I could see them pulling the offer to Spencer. Ideally though I believe they would like draft a pass rusher and let Spencer prove he is worth the long term deal. Worst case scenario you replace Spencer next year with Whitney, best case you have 3 legit pass rushers and I don't think the Giants will argue that's a bad problem to have.

I like the flexibility in the thinking of this mock draft, instead of just locking on one player.

There will be a lot fluidity in my next 2 mocks as more information comes in and targets become clear. I'm getting pretty comfortable with out 1st and 2nd round options. 3rd is still a mess and I cant focus in on a certain position or pool of players. The 4th and 5th rounds are shaping up nicely as well right now.

BTW, gotta find a way to fit a safety in there somewhere. Have you heard any rumblings of it?? Too big of problem to just ignore again.

Personally I wont argue with you, I have made real clear my disgust with the way they have approaches the position. From the standpoint of what I believe the Cowboys think based on what I'm hearing, we both should be ready to be disappointed.

SDogo

Reaction score
Gaede;4466584 said:
Love that mock. Especially like Winn, Broyles and Johnson picks

I'm really liking Winn recently. I'm determined to land one of these Boise ST pass rushers (Winn/McClellan)!

Gaede

Reaction score
SDogo;4466591 said:
I'm really liking Winn recently. I'm determined to land one of these Boise ST pass rushers (Winn/McClellan)!

I like alot of the guys on that team. My favourite is Crawford, but that's mainly because he's Canadian. Any one of those 3 and I'd be happy.

acheman

Reaction score
14- David DeCastro, OG, Stanford/Option 2:Fletcher Cox, DE, Miss St.

45- Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma/ Option 2: Peter Kontz, C, Wisconsin.
82- Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington/ Option 2: Shea McClellan, OLB, Boise State/Option 3: Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska.

113- Phillip Blake, C, Baylor/Option2:Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama.

144- George Iloka, S, Boise State/Option 2: Kheeston Randall, DE/DT, Texas.

175- T.Y. Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International.

206-Cliff Harris, CB/PR, Oregon. (I know a Big (?), but worth a shot here I think)

johnnyd

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Sean Baker first guy i thought of was Justin Beriault hey same school.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SDogo;4466544 said:
This is V4.0 of V6.0, next to be released end of March and final V6.0 the weekend prior to the draft.

Free Agency: What we know so far.........
Resign:
KR: Dwayne Harris, Felix Jones
PR: Ryan Broyles(R), Dez Bryant

LS: L.P. Ladouceur

Sdogo, what are you hearing about this guy:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232149
I am trying to clarify his speed, but can't find it anywhere. To me, when you watch this kid, if you blink you miss him with the return or interception. Just that fast and quick. Kinda small granted, but just stands out to me big time from a super small school. What do you think?

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012...radar-ricky-carlson-s-kr-webber-international

Under the Radar: Ricky Carlson, S/KR, Webber International

by Damond Talbot on Mar 16, 2012 12:55 PM EDT in 2012 NFL Draft

Ricky Carlson, is a little guy from Inverness, Florida, where he he has been an amazing as a kick/punt returner over his career. He is not the biggest kid in the world, standing at just 5'10 and weighs in at 180 pounds. Ricky has been known for his great punt returns and big plays on defense. Ricky coming out of Citrus High School in Florida was never really highly recruited but as a returner he could earn his way on an NFL Roster, check out the clip.

Granted, I havent found a close up video to really watch the returns or interceptions, but just catches my eye, explosive quickness to me, and boom he is gone and if you blink, he is gone, bye bye to the endzone.

Watch him when defender has angle on him, and boom, still gets 5-8 yards due to his quckness, but defender forces him out of bounds due to sideline.

I asked Hos what he tought about him, but havent gotten a reply yet.Kinda reminds me of a ed reed type player in coverage with his range, quickness, jumping ability and speed

Are my eyes deceiving me, or am I actually seeing a very under rated returner and safety that maybe no one knows about?

Also ADogo, Whitney isn't he suppose to fall in the 17th to 22nd range? Isn't that too high for him? I worry about this kid because at college only had one great year, was that due to him knowing he was going to be drafted and to get big bucks? Some guys can't handle that and once they get the big money and revert to their old ways of not working hard.

The Realist

Reaction score
Mark Anderson the late bloomer had 12 sacks his rookie year and 17 combined in his first 2 years.

When I look at Connor I see no sacks, picks, FF's. That's pretty hard to do from ILB spot, but even Bradie had his share of sacks and FF's.

As bad as our D is, if this club has any clue they target G and C hard in this draft early. If not start day one giving Orton at least 50% of the snaps to get him ready cuz our interior OL is still garbage if not worse off than last year so far. We sign castoffs from the Bengals and Panthers and cut our best interior OL. I know Kosier is old but these 2 guys are no major upgrade.

Defense be damned, I get DeCastro/Zeitler and Konz/Jones. I'll worry about the D later in draft and next year.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4466590 said:
I really don't look at is as picking a backup. Matter of fact if Spencer plays around with the tag and Dallas has a chance to land Whitney I could see them pulling the offer to Spencer. Ideally though I believe they would like draft a pass rusher and let Spencer prove he is worth the long term deal. Worst case scenario you replace Spencer next year with Whitney, best case you have 3 legit pass rushers and I don't think the Giants will argue that's a bad problem to have.

There will be a lot fluidity in my next 2 mocks as more information comes in and targets become clear. I'm getting pretty comfortable with out 1st and 2nd round options. 3rd is still a mess and I cant focus in on a certain position or pool of players. The 4th and 5th rounds are shaping up nicely as well right now.

Personally I wont argue with you, I have made real clear my disgust with the way they have approaches the position. From the standpoint of what I believe the Cowboys think based on what I'm hearing, we both should be ready to be disappointed.

No safeties huh.......:tantrum: :insane: :angry: ;)

I'm not even talking about a high pick either, they do need to address the situation at safety though instead of bringing all these guys that are worse than JAGs.

Winn would be a good option in the 3-4 if they don't want to spend a 1st on a DE (understandable), have you heard any rumblings of Bequette in the 3rd?? Could be a possibility at DE, but would take a little time to develop and bulk up a bit.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised with your choice at 14 sdogo, I would have expected maybe Cox there if DeCastro is gone.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I cannot get behind Mercilus in the 1st. DeCastro, Poe, Cox, Glenn, Brockers would all be fine with me. (Kuechly was on my short list, but I think Connor kills that pick). I just don't think WM's best bet is playing WOLB, but that is Ware's position. I simply do not see a great pass rusher in the 1st, so I feel like we have to use one or both of our first 2 picks in the trenches.

I can get behind Konz in the 2nd. Decastro in 1st and Konz in the 2nd would make me excited about our future with Smith and those two in a row. Fleener would be nice, as well. In then 2nd and third I think there are some interior line (Konz, Silatolu), dline, CB and OLB (Shea?) options. I think we can pick up one or two starters here. Not sure I like Wynn in the 3rd, but I guess he wouldn't cause me to throw my remote.

So disappointed to see Broyles and not Devon Wylie in your Mock. I like Broyles well enough, but I'd much rather get Wylie. I think he fits perfectly with what we need.

Don't mind Scott in the 7th. Like the idea of picking up a bigger back like Scott (or Gannaway) later in the draft.

As for your roster, I like the look of it for the most part. Love that there is no Alan Ball(!!!!). But one question: why keep McGee? With Kyle Orton on the squad, I think we are likely to drop McGee and start the development game over.