SDogo Mock Off Season V 4.0

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Sasquatch;4468343 said:
Just out of curisoty, how accurate was you mock last year?

I personally would love it if the draft fell this way.

I struggled last year but was boss the year before that and the year before that Actually the year Bryant and Lee were drafted I hit a good percentage outside of Round 1.:laugh2:

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
TheDallasDon;4467474 said:
Sdogo you think they let Geathers go, then keep Coleman?

Just pulling it out of the cluster so it can be seen better.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
SDogo;4466732 said:
You are correct, oversight on my part. I would be shocked if he is not brought back for camp, Dallas is said to like what they saw in a short time. What we do know is that a 4th arm will be brought in, there always is and who ever it is has a chance to unseat McGee but I don't think it's as important as in years past to find that developmental guy right now.

I feel the opposite. I didn't think it was all that important to find a developmental guy when we drafted McGee. Romo was still in his 20s so if McGee had developed into a starting-caliber QB, Dallas' only real recourses would have been either replace Romo with him or trade him. Trading him wouldn't have been a bad thing, though, so I didn't mind the pick.

Now, Romo's in his 30s and the possibility that his career might last just a few more years is greater. Dallas could probably still wait a year or two, but it wouldn't hurt to draft one to develop this year, see how that works out over the next couple of years and then do it again if necessary. That way we possibly avoid having to "rebuild" around a first-round rookie when Romo does leave.

VThokie7

Reaction score
SDogo - Not necessarily for the Cowboys, but have you heard anything about Danny Coale? One of those players you can't help but root for, went from a 2 star recruit to being one of the top WR's in the teams history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
gimmesix;4469146 said:
I feel the opposite. I didn't think it was all that important to find a developmental guy when we drafted McGee. Romo was still in his 20s so if McGee had developed into a starting-caliber QB, Dallas' only real recourses would have been either replace Romo with him or trade him. Trading him wouldn't have been a bad thing, though, so I didn't mind the pick.

Now, Romo's in his 30s and the possibility that his career might last just a few more years is greater. Dallas could probably still wait a year or two, but it wouldn't hurt to draft one to develop this year, see how that works out over the next couple of years and then do it again if necessary. That way we possibly avoid having to "rebuild" around a first-round rookie when Romo does leave.

The team has 3 NFL QBs on the roster. A developmental guy is going to sit on the practice squad. Dallas may cut ties with McGee if he is soundly outplayed by a rookie but that seems far-fetched and also suggests we'd take the risk of finding out by investing a valuable draft pick.

I can see a r3 or r4 QB next year but this year it is probably what we have plus a PS guy we recycle of the heap or brought in as UDFA.

Let's face it, it is almost certain when/if Romo leaves Dallas will invest real resources in getting a new QB, not rely on a 3rd or 4th year young guy they spent a r4 pick on.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;4469634 said:
The team has 3 NFL QBs on the roster. A developmental guy is going to sit on the practice squad. Dallas may cut ties with McGee if he is soundly outplayed by a rookie but that seems far-fetched and also suggests we'd take the risk of finding out by investing a valuable draft pick.

I can see a r3 or r4 QB next year but this year it is probably what we have plus a PS guy we recycle of the heap or brought in as UDFA.

Let's face it, it is almost certain when/if Romo leaves Dallas will invest real resources in getting a new QB, not rely on a 3rd or 4th year young guy they spent a r4 pick on.

I don't know about that. McGee should be moving into the #2 role this season. If he doesn't, and he isn't going to, what's the point of wasting a year of development in next year's FA? There's plenty of reason to think you can find and develop a QB for a couple of years with a mid-round pick if you find the right guy.

I think we'll take a shot as early as round 3 if we like the player enough. More likely, in the 5th or 6th we'll take a look at a developmental guy to groom behind Orton for 3-4 years until we have to make a decision on Romo again. Maybe that guy ends up being a higher-round pick from next year's draft, but it's not too early to start looking, and a 4-6 rounder is peanuts considering how hard it is to find the right guy for the job.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Idgit;4469644 said:
I don't know about that. McGee should be moving into the #2 role this season. If he doesn't, and he isn't going to, what's the point of wasting a year of development in next year's FA? There's plenty of reason to think you can find and develop a QB for a couple of years with a mid-round pick if you find the right guy.

I think we'll take a shot as early as round 3 if we like the player enough. More likely, in the 5th or 6th we'll take a look at a developmental guy to groom behind Orton for 3-4 years until we have to make a decision on Romo again. Maybe that guy ends up being a higher-round pick from next year's draft, but it's not too early to start looking, and a 4-6 rounder is peanuts considering how hard it is to find the right guy for the job.

Yeah McGee's days might be numbered after we picked up Orton. With all these FAs we picked up, plus the draft picks, there will probably be a lot of guys getting a pink slip or not getting picked back up again this season.

Probably a good thing for the team overall, and our cut list should be pretty interesting to look at.

burmafrd

Reaction score
one thing all must remember:

Jerruh loves smokescreens
And as history has shown uses coaches, mediots, anyone he can to spread them

So when someone says he hears the Boys like or dislike someone, take it with a grain of salt

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
jterrell;4469634 said:

I don't think we have 3 NFL QBs on the roster. We have two and a guy who didn't develop into a No. 2 and will be gone next year no matter what after not ever moving up to the No. 2 spot.

I would not be surprised at all if Dallas moves on from that experiment by getting its next McGee (fourth round or later) and hoping that project turns out better than the last one.

Again, I think McGee goes to camp with one last chance to prove himself, but only so Dallas can possibly trade him and recoup a pick. With Orton entrenched as the backup there really isn't any reason to hold on to McGee for a year and then let him walk away.