SDogo Mock Off Season V 4.0

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Woods;4467096 said:
I guess if it were me, I'd probably go with Mercellus as well among the 4 players I listed.

A lot of people knock his 1 year wonder production, but as it stands, you don't just "luck into" all those sacks and forced fumbles. And he played in a good college conference. Plus, he's a junior anyway. A lot of guys don't really explode on to the scene until their junior/senior years.

And when you look at his Combine numbers, etc., they do show a high quality athlete. So it's not surprising he performed so well, especially considering his work ethic.

Yeah, same was said about JPP as a one year wonder, he was in a lesser conference and still didn't put up the numbers Mercellus did. JPP was also taken at #15, and we are sitting at #14.

The more I look at all of them in this class, can't really say I would take one of them automatically in the top 10, but I would take them in the teens. I find it interesting that out of high school Mercellus was a 2 star athlete, when you see someone like that get to this point, there is usually some hard work involved.

Upshaw is really the only one that kinda scares me away, but he is probably the most ready to play immediately of the group you mentioned. The more I look into what will be available to us, the more I'm beginning to like our position.

TVMan

Reaction score
SDogo;4467081 said:
I know Davis well, we were called on Bethune-Cookman several times at ECDS. As far as the Cowboys interest I don't have anything to add but I know Baltimore and New England have their eyes on him.

Thanks Dogo.

This kid really impresses me.

johnnyd

Reaction score
BIGDen;4467309 said:
Hey! Hey! Watch it. This is a family-friendly site, you know?

If we do draft him there's going to be so many of these . :D

Bizwah

Reaction score
I know a lot is being made of Mercilus being a "one year wonder".

I remember watching the combine and this exact topic was brought up. One of the Illinois coaches basically said something to the effect of, "we felt it was coming".

In other words, they always felt the ability was there....but sometimes the light just needs to "kick on".

I think the fact that he was a "one year wonder" is the only reason this guy isn't going in the top five.

I'm not saying that we should take him at 14. Right now, I have virtually no idea where we should go with our pick. If we can get him in a trade down, then I'm all for it.

The Realist

Reaction score
SDogo;4466669 said:
Then went on to produce 8 the next 5 years.

Not when you consider how Connor was used. He did not start a single game till 2010, only played in 19 the 1st two seasons, only played 120 downs the first two season and a majority of which were on 1st and 2nd down. He does have a sack on record in 2010 in which he started the first 8 games before being injured. He started 11 games in 2011 and had a forced fumble so your numbers are not exactly right. Given all that, no they are no eye popping but the Panthers defense rarely dialed up ILB blitz packages. Part of his problem in Carolina was that it was not till he was forced into the lineup last year and utilized that they realized his potential

There is no guarantee any rookie will be either. Livings as much as I don't like the signing actually graded out higher then any of our interior lineman in the passing game so it's hard not to say that's not an upgrade. Matter of fact only giving up 2 sacks over the last 2 seasons would be an upgrade for any of our interior lineman we ended the season with.

I don't expect Connor to get big sack numbers, but I would be ecstatic that if in his best years he got production in some other statistical category that Anderson got in his mediocre years.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They should be looking for a S later in FA or a decent sized CB to convert. I really don't expect a S in the draft although they could easily take a developmental player late.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I would be pretty ecstatic with that draft. I love hearing that Broyles is on Garrett's wish list.

I think Dallas trolls the bargain bin at WR to see if they can find another bargain to replace Laurant Robinson. I really wish they would add a cheap quick twitch slot guy who could also return punts (Roscoe Parrish, Early Doucet). Is there some unwritten rule out at the Ranch that says every Cowboys WR has to be a 6'2+ outside the hashmarks guy?

Bizwah

Reaction score
Yes, there are major speed concerns with Johnson. Normally, you wouldn't want your CBs to run in the 4.6 to 4.7 range. But let's remember Brandon Flowers. He dropped due to running poor forty at the combine. He ran in the 4.6 range as well. But he knew how to play the position....maybe the same can be said of Johnson.

I'm interested to see how he runs at his pro-day. Sometimes instincts and physicality can overcome a lack of great speed. Guys like Courtland Finnegan and Ronde Barber were never burners. And let's not forget, one of our greatest CBs, Everson Walls wasn't a burner either.

I'm not totally opposed to grabbing Johnson with a fourth-round pick. Players you get there will have some warts anyway.

honyock

Reaction score
Thanks Sdogo! I've been hoping for a list like this, especially for the later rounds where I'm a little lost on who to be tracking and watching for. Great info as usual.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SDogo;4467104 said:
I'm getting the same feeling, I don't think there is any prospect Dallas is in love with at #14 that can't be considered later. It seems all their targets could be on the board at #14 and I believe they are all so closely graded that they can move down several slots and still have options.

My feelings too. I think there are several in the same tier for us at 14--which is ideal for trading down without sacrifice

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I know you've addressed it, but I don't see them taking Konz because I agree that they're aiming Bernadeau toward C. They'll take their chances on a Bernadeau v Kowalski dustup. I could still see them grabbing DeCastro and letting Livings, Arkin and Nagy fight it out for the other OG spot. We would have the makings for a great, deep OL.

CCBoy

Reaction score
casmith07;4467110 said:
I stand corrected.

No fault, Sir. Funny how high intensity periods interupt normal progression of outside fact gathering. Lol...:starspin

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
That would be an unbelievably good draft in my opinion. However, I can't see a scenario where Konz falls past the Packers if they don't bring in a vet to replace Wells.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
Kenny Powers in Round 6? Nice.

*man, I hope nobody beat me to that.

Good job. Are you hearing more about Mercilus as a want?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Just out of curisoty, how accurate was you mock last year?

I personally would love it if the draft fell this way.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
acheman;4466599 said:
14- David DeCastro, OG, Stanford/Option 2:Fletcher Cox, DE, Miss St.

45- Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma/ Option 2: Peter Kontz, C, Wisconsin.
82- Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington/ Option 2: Shea McClellan, OLB, Boise State/Option 3: Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska.

113- Phillip Blake, C, Baylor/Option2:Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama.

144- George Iloka, S, Boise State/Option 2: Kheeston Randall, DE/DT, Texas.

175- T.Y. Hilton, WR/KR, Florida International.

206-Cliff Harris, CB/PR, Oregon. (I know a Big (?), but worth a shot here I think)

bro, please start a new thread.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Excellent work here.

I think the R1 moves sound about 99% probable. Stockpile a list of talent and move down a bit to select the least reachy unless someone falls into your lap (i.e. tyron smith in 2011). As I stated a few thousand times by now I just don't think we commit 14 to an OG but after a small move down you can't ignore DeCastro or Glenn.

Also worth considering that Dallas is giving Callahan a budget with which to pick his guys. He knows what skills and size he wants and has seen all these guys play. Dallas didn't target two under the radar OL accidentally.

I love the value of OL in that 40-50 area.