Seahawks sign DT Hankins

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because you brought him up in some sort of rebuttal to the criticism of the weakness of the DT spot.

He's a JAG. He shouldn't even be a mention at this point when discussing the DT spot. In fact, he played as much outside as he did inside last year. The fact he's even mentioned at DT shows how weak they are right now at the position.

The Cowboys are patch working DT. Again. We've seen how that works out. I think banking on a rookie and some warm bodies paired with Smith, last year's disappointment and an undersized Odi is just a continuation of the issues we have experienced at the position for years.
So initially you said they only had 2 bodies and they need 4. Now if you're implying they need 4 actual good good DT's"? Fair enough but you'd be hard pressed to find teams with 4 good Dt's.

My stance is what does it matter? You seem to be fine with getting anything better than what we have. I'm of the belief that if you aren't interested in Wilkins or Jones then what's the point? Why waste the money on an average DT when you can get average play with what you already have? Just because you want 4 bodies?

Sydla

Reaction score
So initially you said they only had 2 bodies and they need 4. Now if you're implying they need 4 actual good good DT's"? Fair enough but you'd be hard pressed to find teams with 4 good Dt's.

My stance is what does it matter? You seem to be fine with getting anything better than what we have. I'm of the belief that if you aren't interested in Wilkins or Jones then what's the point? Why waste the money on an average DT when you can get average play with what you already have? Just because you want 4 bodies?
I've been quite clear. I never said they had "two bodies". I said they have two DTs on the roster that we can debate as being competent - Mazi Smith and Odi. That's it. Carl Davis is terrible. Gholston is a tweener, flex guy. He's not a real DT.

We took a DT in Rd 1 last year and he was a non-factor. Assuming a DT we take in Rd 2 or Rd 3 this year can make an immediate impact seems kind of foolish, no? And that's one guy. You need at least 4-5 DTs on a 53. We have two we can count on right now. Two. And one is Mazi Smith who we have no idea if he will develop into even a competent player.
Take DT. They have two DTs on the roster that are 53 man type DTs - Odi and Smith. And Smith was a total dud last year. Carl Davis? LOL. Some will say Gholston but he's 268 pounds. He's not a DT.

You need at least 4-5 DTs for a 53. We have two.
Further, the idea that what we have can't be improved by adding a guy like Grover Stewart or DJ Reader so it's OK that we are just sitting it out? LOL. That's the type of logic that has us lamenting DT every single offseason. If you buy into PFF, Reader had a grade of 81. Hankins, for comparison, had a 51. Grover Stewart was a 76. The idea that these kind of guys can't help or give us better play than the slop we had over the years and what we will likely field in 2024 is kind of funny.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think they are throwing Zimmer a bone-in terms of those signings. They are friendly with Zimmer and are being hospitable but not generous. I kinda doubt he gets lots of freedom in the draft or the first round pick (maybe 2nd round but I doubt it).
I don't know how much input the coaches have. Clearly, we draft their "guys," like we did with taller corners for Quinn. I think the coaches probably get their say, just like with free agents, but it's ultimately up to the personnel guys and those paying the checks. I believe when coaches come here, it is with the understanding that we're not going to be very active in free agency. Doesn't mean they don't ask, just that they likely understand what the Joneses' version of "all in" is.

Kendricks was a bone in the sense that Zimmer apparently wanted him and he was cheap enough that the Joneses said, "OK."

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah I’m gonna agree with that.

They truly do think their plan is working. It’s run by potentially the largest narcissist in the world, so it adds up.

I don’t even know what I’d like to see happen anymore. The only real way out is several very bad years in a row and they cave and go the Parcells route. Even if they give away power, whoever they hire would still be handcuffed by the lack of free agent spending.

They basically have to luck into a QB that’s way better than anyone else to have a shot….unless they somehow one day get the idea that NO TEAM can draft well enough to make their plan work, let alone them.
I'm not sure there is a way out with this front office. We've had nearly 30 years of them trying it different ways and they don't seem to understand that overreacting one way or the other is not going to get it done.

I enjoyed the wildcatting Jerry Jones days because I at least knew he was going to do whatever it took short of giving up his title as GM. But Jerry undervalued the draft back then and couldn't make up for that by throwing big money at free agents.

Now, based primarily on the Brandon Carr move, they overreacted and went the other way. If we had several bad years in a row, they'd probably overreact in some other way.

I'd like a front office that understands that every aspect of roster building is necessary to build a champion, but that's not what we've got.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah I’m gonna agree with that.

They truly do think their plan is working. It’s run by potentially the largest narcissist in the world, so it adds up.

I don’t even know what I’d like to see happen anymore. The only real way out is several very bad years in a row and they cave and go the Parcells route. Even if they give away power, whoever they hire would still be handcuffed by the lack of free agent spending.

They basically have to luck into a QB that’s way better than anyone else to have a shot….unless they somehow one day get the idea that NO TEAM can draft well enough to make their plan work, let alone them.
One thing about it, if this team somehow gets to the Super Bowl the Joneses way, which I think is pretty much impossible, they would definitely deserve GM of the year. Might as well go ahead and enshrine Stephen next to Jerry if it happens, because it defies conventional football logic.

blueblood70

Reaction score
"Oh no! He changed the font size." Read carefully. At no point was it mentioned the season was over or the season was won. Take a beat and stop hyper ventilating.
Actually I tend to use talk to text I ramble on into run on sentences people don't like it so now I'm just gonna break them up into colors and different font and different sizes so now you get the point much quicker I don't need to take a chill pill this place needs to take a chill pill literally jumping off a Cliff if you don't think you said it then you might wanna take the temperature since February this place has all been jumping off a Cliff they literally have been saying this is a tanking season this is gonna be one of the worst seasons they're setting up everyone for failure they're doing nothing see the difference with my run on sentences compared to if I broke it up into colors?????!!!! :facepalm: :muttley::espn::popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually my point is that they should have made an upgrade over Hankins. I also don’t hate the front office I just think they are incredibly wrong in how they have handled the off season. The issue with you is everything is so black and white ; if you criticize the front office then you hate them. Please.

You also have a habit of grouping me in with group think…I never wanted to get rid of Tyron 4 years ago, I wasn’t even here four years ago dude. Lol
and again it's only seven days went by and free agency there are other defensive tackles available in free agency or via trade or in the draft or an undrafted free agent you don't know you literally find guys like Brock Purdy or Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or Tony Romo way late or out of the draft we find good players all the time we got drawn bland in the 5th we could end up getting in defensive tackle again you don't know if we're gonna get that tackle who's better until the seasons gonna start.. Even then we got amari Cooper eight games into 2018 and flipped the entire season around literally could get a guy that you're thinking of and it doesn't have to be in the first seven days of free agency you get the point yet!!!???

Lastly, I don't know all the actual 100% pure nose tackles that went in free agency this last seven days that were actually available not the names that were being spewed around but the actual ones that were available to be had that were totally free agents.. Name them all and don't give me some hybrid three tech a pure nose tackle tell me all the ones that have been signed in the last seven days?? Please don't say Chris Jones he's not even a nose tackle but he's a hybrid he never was available there were a couple guys that got resigned by their teams they were never truly available therefore show me the pure nose tackle in the last seven days how many were there and then divide that by 32 teams so don't say the Cowboys are the only ones not to sign a few big fishes when there haven't been that many signed..

Sydla

Reaction score
and again it's only seven days went by and free agency there are other defensive tackles available in free agency or via trade or in the draft or an undrafted free agent you don't know you literally find guys like Brock Purdy or Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or Tony Romo way late or out of the draft we find good players all the time we got drawn bland in the 5th we could end up getting in defensive tackle again you don't know if we're gonna get that tackle who's better until the seasons gonna start.. Even then we got amari Cooper eight games into 2018 and flipped the entire season around literally could get a guy that you're thinking of and it doesn't have to be in the first seven days of free agency you get the point yet!!!???

Lastly, I don't know all the actual 100% pure nose tackles that went in free agency this last seven days that were actually available not the names that were being spewed around but the actual ones that were available to be had that were totally free agents.. Name them all and don't give me some hybrid three tech a pure nose tackle tell me all the ones that have been signed in the last seven days?? Please don't say Chris Jones he's not even a nose tackle but he's a hybrid he never was available there were a couple guys that got resigned by their teams they were never truly available therefore show me the pure nose tackle in the last seven days how many were there and then divide that by 32 teams so don't say the Cowboys are the only ones not to sign a few big fishes when there haven't been that many signed..
DJ Reader was available. He left Cincy and signed in Detroit. Signed a 2 year, $22MM deal but only $7MM is guaranteed. A perfectly fair deal that the Cowboys should have been all over. He was one of PFFs highest rated DTs last year. He would have instantly been the best DT we've had on the roster in years.

We should have been all over him.

rambo2

Reaction score
DJ Reader was available. He left Cincy and signed in Detroit. Signed a 2 year, $22MM deal but only $7MM is guaranteed. A perfectly fair deal that the Cowboys should have been all over. He was one of PFFs highest rated DTs last year. He would have instantly been the best DT we've had on the roster in years.

We should have been all over him.
He was the one that I was interested in, but he is injured.

BigD_95

Reaction score
this stinks - add DT for major need. Do they think we have 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds?

rambo2

Reaction score
this stinks - add DT for major need. Do they think we have 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds?
They know what they have. Let it play out. They are going to have to see what they and the other teams get in the draft and see who becomes available as things come out in the wash.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't think they will draft a DT in the first two rounds because they spent the first pick last year on one. If they do, I'll give Zimmer some credit for making clear that he's not happy with what he's got.

I could see the position being third round at best. 1st — C/T Graham Barton. 2nd — RB Jonathon Brooks (because tha'ts what we do). 3rd — DT McKinley Jackson.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

Go do your own research before you start your soliloquy about why other people are wrong and you’re right. Again, I never mentioned big fishes, thats your problem. You can sign solid players that aren’t big fishes. You are talking about undrafted d tackles for a team aspiring to be a Super Bowl contender? Get real. lol.

You don’t even know whose available and who isn’t (by your own admission) so perhaps before telling people how dumb we are or impatient we are give an ounce of effort to the topic before you write one of your unabomber manifestos.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't think they will draft a DT in the first two rounds because they spent the first pick last year on one. If they do, I'll give Zimmer some credit for making clear that he's not happy with what he's got.

I could see the position being third round at best. 1st — C/T Graham Barton. 2nd — RB Jonathon Brooks (because tha'ts what we do). 3rd — DT McKinley Jackson.
I think they could draft 1 early if the right one was available.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think they could draft 1 early if the right one was available.
I don't know. I think it would have to be someone whose stock is much higher than others on our charts. I think with us having a first-round pick at NT and a third-rounder at 3-tech who played quite well (not superstar level but top of the rotation level), we'd see the needs greater at C and RB, where we've got two UDFAs as our placeholders.

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't know. I think it would have to be someone whose stock is much higher than others on our charts. I think with us having a first-round pick at NT and a third-rounder at 3-tech who played quite well (not superstar level but top of the rotation level), we'd see the needs greater at C and RB, where we've got two UDFAs as our placeholders.
1st round should be bpa.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He's not a good DT. And at 268 lbs, asking him to be more than a situational DT like he was last year would be a mistake.
He is the newer Tyrone Crawford.

They value him because he stinks at multiple positions instead of just one.

If that guy has made a play since he has been here, I missed it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL just blow the whole thing up with C4.
IMG-0480.gif

Buh, bye bye.

gimmesix

Reaction score
1st round should be bpa.
BPA is a bit of a misnomer. You get into the 20s and there are multiple players who are not separated by much unless there's someone who slipped for some reason.

You could argue that we did not draft BPA the last two years (Tyler Smith, Mazi Smith) because of how the draft "experts" rated them. Dallas identified them as players worth taking at that point. We can debate that, but when team need definitely plays a role if there is someone valued at that point worth taking at the position of need.

I think center is one of those positions. JPJ and Barton are probably going to arguably be BPA at that point. If they are gone, the Cowboys could make a case for Frazier. After that, the centers drop from that late first/early second range to third round or lower.