Sean Lee agrees to new contract

pansophy

Reaction score
I'd love to know what those incentives are.
From a cap standpoint it doesn't matter does it as long as they are 'unlikely to be achieved' which should be anything typical of a starting LB given the last few years of injuries etc?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I want to know the incentives. Are they likely to be earned or not?
I am skeptical if all of the complete details are made public. What this looks like is a fancy way to kick the can down into 2020. I don't think it signals some kind of heroic sacrifice by Lee to give up for the greater good, nor would signal the Cowboys getting tough with a player who has taken home a lot of checks for time he never got on the field.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
From a cap standpoint it doesn't matter does it as long as they are 'unlikely to be achieved' which should be anything typical of a starting LB given the last few years of injuries etc?
I could see something like this for snaps..... he played 21% of the snaps last year
25% - 1m .............would be NLTBE
50% - 1m ............. NLTBE
75% - 1m ............. NLTBE
NFCCG- 500k.......NLTBE

His cap hit would be 6.5m.......... saving 3.5m

Little Jr

Reaction score
Well it went from 10 mil in guarantees to 3.5

So instant 6.5 savings.
Also depends on what the incentives. If they are likely to be earned they account in this years cap. If the are unlikely to be earned they'll account on next years cap if they are reached

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This. Is. Awesome.

They basically converted him from a $10 million dollar contract guaranteed to $10.5 million, only $3.5 million guaranteed and the rest on incentives.

In 2020 he’ll be a coach on the sidelines.

Great work Jerry!
We all have to like this.

Him and Witten deserve their deals and we are certainly better for it.

:clap:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Whatever. Incentives won't come into play. OK, now go get a DT or two and a FS.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Very smart move on his part. So many players don’t seem to realize when they are in a similar situation and to say no means you likely get cut and won’t command anything close as a free agent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well, I guess we can count on two rotational player/coaches counting for around six million or so.
No, now we have a LB Captain who has mad skills at a bargain price and with team leadership. I can tell you’ve never been involved in team sports, etc. If you had, you would know what leadership means.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Also depends on what the incentives. If they are likely to be earned they account in this years cap. If the are unlikely to be earned they'll account on next years cap if they are reached
We also have to account for the Rule of 51

Since SLee was a pay cut and not a release there is no need to replace him on the 51 man list for another player that makes 490k

That is like another 490k in savings on top of the 3.5m created by the re-do

If SLee had been waived they would drop his 7m salary but add a 490k player for a 6.5m net savings
This way we keep SLee and save 3.5m off his cap hit..... so for an extra 3m we get to keep SLee

The same thing applies to Witten..... he is set to earn 4.25m against the cap but you have to bump a 500k off the 51.... that means the net cost is only 3.76m

When DThompson was signed for 720k the net cost was really only 230k when you drop a player

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I am skeptical if all of the complete details are made public. What this looks like is a fancy way to kick the can down into 2020. I don't think it signals some kind of heroic sacrifice by Lee to give up for the greater good, nor would signal the Cowboys getting tough with a player who has taken home a lot of checks for time he never got on the field.
Of course you don’t. You’re an established whiner.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We also have to account for the Rule of 51

Since SLee was a pay cut and not a release there is no need to replace him on the 51 man list for another player that makes 490k

That is like another 490k in savings on top of the 3.5m created by the re-do

If SLee had been waived they would drop his 7m salary but add a 490k player for a 6.5m net savings
This way we keep SLee and save 3.5m off his cap hit..... so for an extra 3m we get to keep SLee

The same thing applies to Witten..... he is set to earn 4.25m against the cap but you have to bump a 500k off the 51.... that means the net cost is only 3.76m

When DThompson was signed for 720k the net cost was really only 230k when you drop a player
This must be how Jerrah affords his yatch.

What a concept.

Is that you Will Clay?

:grin: