Sean Lee is excited to play next to Smith and LVE

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In Marinelli's scheme the WLB follows the 3T rather than the SLB following the TE.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lee was hurt much of the year last year.
Yeah I know that, but when he was healthy this wasn’t tried once. It’s what we see too often with this staff.

That is, things that are too obvious as a good choice are ignored. The only thing we tried was to sub out our pro bowl rookie for Lee. Which was a poor choice. IMO.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It won't be more.

Last season, in games where he was healthy and started, he averaged playing about 66% of the snaps.

They used the SLB on about 28% of the snaps in 2018.

Lee playing about 28% of the snaps is the ideal situation.

He'll play enough to stay in true game shape, but the limited snaps will limit his chances for injury.

Staying in game shape will be good if Vander Esch or Jaylon miss any snaps and Lee is needed to replace one of them (short term).

Solid comments, X...and if the truth were known, my bet is that all 3 of these linebackers are biting at the bit to get onto the field at the same time. Focused will be a minor descriptive term for their elevated play and aggressiveness.

CCBoy

Reaction score
For no real reason here I am saying he would've thrown less picks if he could read the D

Footwork and dependability of the offensive line have everything to do with an ability to read linebackers and safeties upon the snap, and when no movement lies appear. Both are being worked upon by the new quarterback's coach and Moore. Three years...those will improve by repetition as well.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Footwork and dependability of the offensive line have everything to do with an ability to read linebackers and safeties upon the snap, and when no movement lies appear. Both are being worked upon by the new quarterback's coach and Moore. Three years...those will improve by repetition as well.
I was talking about Romo.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I know that, but when he was healthy this wasn’t tried once. It’s what we see too often with this staff.

That is, things that are too obvious as a good choice are ignored. The only thing we tried was to sub out our pro bowl rookie for Lee. Which was a poor choice. IMO.

You don’t just throw people into an unfamiliar position spur of the moment, unprepared, especially when coming off or nursing an injury. They didn’t practice that way in training camp, and Lee was never consistently healthy where they had opportunity to work on it during the season. Lee only played in weeks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 14 & 16 last year, and in some of those games only played sparingly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Factoring in his work-ethic, football smarts and knowledge of opponents, Sean Lee still has the physical skills to play 2 downs a series at SLB.

But, as usual, how well this works out is gonna depend on if Lee can stay healthy.

This is where I think they could miss Wilson. Though Thomas looks decent also. At least he was decent enough to step in for Lee if needed. It is why I thought they should have drafted a LB instead of one or both of those DE's. But I am ok with Joe Jackson after seeing more highlight film and reading about him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They're calling Lee the SLB; however, he likely plays what many coaches would call WLB.

In the photo, Vander Esch is the WLB in Marinelli's terms, but many coaches would call Vander Esch the SLB in this alignment with #48 Thomas as the WLB.

When the Cowboys play 3 LBs sets (base), it is likely to look similar to the photo with Lee in place of #48 Thomas.

This almost looks like the old 4-6 Bear.

8)

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Should be fun for two weeks or so

Not a big deal. Not going to factor much into W/L. I believe keeping Lee was a favor to him when the team could've easily gone considerably younger and cheaper at this particular position. With that said, obviously he's a good player when healthy and his presence will help.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You don’t just throw people into an unfamiliar position spur of the moment, unprepared, especially when coming off or nursing an injury. They didn’t practice that way in training camp, and Lee was never consistently healthy where they had opportunity to work on it during the season. Lee only played in weeks 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 14 & 16 last year, and in some of those games only played sparingly.

When he came back week 7, and Vander Esch was established as a stud(for sure at the end of the season and NO QUESTION in the playoffs) he should’ve been prepared to play that spot.

It’s not like they were asking him to kick field goals or playboy WR. Just a linebacker spot that isn’t very different. At all. I’m quite sure he knew the responsibilities of that position.

Best players on the field as they’re doing a year late.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When he came back week 7, and Vander Esch was established as a stud(for sure at the end of the season and NO QUESTION in the playoffs) he should’ve been prepared to play that spot.

It’s not like they were asking him to kick field goals or playboy WR. Just a linebacker spot that isn’t very different. At all. I’m quite sure he knew the responsibilities of that position.

Best players on the field as they’re doing a year late.

After not playing or even practicing for most of 4 weeks? And then he played 2 games and had to sit out another 6-7 weeks. And even then he was used very sparingly to keep from aggravating the injury. They spent most of the season just hoping to get him healthy, so how could they count on him playing a new position? This year they can go into camp prepared for this. And, there actually are differences in assignments between the LB slots.