Sean Lee Isn’t Getting Younger

T-RO

Reaction score
They say drinking milk does a body good, perhaps if Lee would drink his milk then his career wouldn't have been wasted from injuries

Wasted? Are you serious?

Diminished somewhat sure, but c’mon. Outside of 2015 he’s averaged almost 13 games per year...and has been the best Cowboys defender over the past decade.

The biggest reason we fixate on the games he misses is a testament to how important and valuable he is.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
I tend to write more positive things about the Boys. And I’ve often emphasized the youth of the team and how much that is going to help.

But one key cog will turn 32 with a birthday of Sunday—July 22. Yup Sean Lee isn’t getting younger.

If I were to predict things purely on age...I’d have to say that Lee will only have 2 or 3 more seasons, and that his play might not be quite as sterling this year as we’ve grown accustomed to in the past.

Part of his future trajectory will involve contractual considerations as he’s a free agent after the 2019 season.

That's true. None of the Cowboys are getting any younger. In fact, without time travel, none of us are getting any younger. Do yo know something no one else does? If so, please share. Time is running out.

T-RO

Reaction score
Here are fellow defenders who have missed similar amt of games as Lee...or more (Percentage of games)

DLaw
Awuzie,
Irving,
Jaylon,
Scandrick

The difference is that when Lee is out...so is the defense.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Wasted? Are you serious?

Diminished somewhat sure, but c’mon. Outside of 2015 he’s averaged almost 13 games per year...and has been the best Cowboys defender over the past decade.

The biggest reason we fixate on the games he misses is a testament to how important and valuable he is.
You didn't see the comment I replied to did you

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I tend to write more positive things about the Boys. And I’ve often emphasized the youth of the team and how much that is going to help.

But one key cog will turn 32 with a birthday of Sunday—July 22. Yup Sean Lee isn’t getting younger.

If I were to predict things purely on age...I’d have to say that Lee will only have 2 or 3 more seasons, and that his play might not be quite as sterling this year as we’ve grown accustomed to in the past.

Part of his future trajectory will involve contractual considerations as he’s a free agent after the 2019 season.
Hence drafting LVE in the first round.

Aven8

Reaction score
Please show me the tape where he looks stiff.

Guy ran 4.6 40; jumped 40” vertical(!!!) and had 5th best 3-cone among LBs at combine. Only 4 LB who bested him in cone were smaller LBs under 235.

Scouts pointed out flaws like shedding blockers, but specifically praised his fluidity in space, redirection skill and twitchy athleticism.

The games I watched predraft and even highlight YouTube videos he looks stiff. He's big, and lanky so that has a lot to do with it. He might be fast and athletic, but on the field he looks stiff IMO for a LB. I'm hoping he's Rolondo and I'm proven wrong.

DiResta

Reaction score
MICHAEL PHILLIPS
COOKEVILLE, TN

I finished up watching "All or Nothing" from the Cowboys’ 2017 season. In the last episode, near the end, it shows the final team meeting on New Year's Day and the players heading out. It shows them walking out to their cars and on their phones as they leave the facility. Then the last shot appears. It's Sean Lee sitting all alone watching film of the previous game against the Eagles. This could have been for theatrics but I don't think it was. In your guys’ opinion, is there anyone you have ever covered in the game that dedicates more to his own personal growth and development than Sean Lee? That last screen shot spoke volumes to me.

Bryan: It wasn’t an act. What you saw in that final shot of Sean Lee on the show is everything he is as a player and man. Darren Woodson was a similar type of player when I was with him in the early 2000’s. He cared about the way he played each and every week, but more importantly he cared about the team. Lee is the same way. He knows that he’s only going to get so many opportunities and he has to make the best of each and every one. Sean Lee, like Darren Woodson, is a rare player – and to be compared to Woodson in my book is extremely high praise.

Rob: Guarantee you that wasn’t staged. In a decade or so covering this team, I can’t think of anyone more committed to his craft than Lee. Maybe as much, but not more. Jason Witten was obsessed with finding a way to improve – and in later years, maintain – his skill level. Bradie James and Keith Brooking were very diligent guys at the linebacker position. But Lee’s pretty much on another planet in terms of this machine-like approach he has.

link

kento40

Reaction score
Lee has 2 years tops before Jerry hires him as the LB coach. Question, does the QB coach teach QB's how to break down a defense pre-snap or is that the OC's job?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The games I watched predraft and even highlight YouTube videos he looks stiff. He's big, and lanky so that has a lot to do with it. He might be fast and athletic, but on the field he looks stiff IMO for a LB. I'm hoping he's Rolondo and I'm proven wrong.
It's your eyes deceiving you because he's so big. The only LBs in the league that can move better than him are the lightweight safety size types.

There is another thread similar on Rico. Rico isn't as fast as Vander Esch but he moves extremely well for a man of his size, but you still have people who think he looks sluggish.

GMO415

Reaction score
News flash.... people aren't like fine wine they don't get better with time.

Toro9

Reaction score
The Vander Carpenter pick was designed to address this problem.
iWKad22.jpg

GenoT

Reaction score

Yep...and if — God forbid — Lee goes down for multiple games, the entire defense tends to lose aggressiveness and forgets how to finish tackles.

This tendency better be eliminated ASAP, because the odds on Lee playing all 16 games in 2018 aren’t good.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I love Lee, but no way am I giving him a new contract in 2 years at age 34. His injury risk will be even higher, and regression will occur because Father Time always wins.

Honestly for his sake, he should retire in 2 years. He has had enough concussions