Sean Lee Isn’t Getting Younger

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to write more positive things about the Boys. And I’ve often emphasized the youth of the team and how much that is going to help.

But one key cog will turn 32 with a birthday of Sunday—July 22. Yup Sean Lee isn’t getting younger.

If I were to predict things purely on age...I’d have to say that Lee will only have 2 or 3 more seasons, and that his play might not be quite as sterling this year as we’ve grown accustomed to in the past.

Part of his future trajectory will involve contractual considerations as he’s a free agent after the 2019 season.

They have either decided that Jaylon can't play or they drafted Vander Esch with the idea that Jaylon would replace Lee in the near future.

They would not use a 1st on a LB if they thought Lee and Jaylon were going to be the WLB and MLB for a few years.

The SLB just does not play enough snaps in the modern pass happy NFL to be a priority.

T-RO

Reaction score
They have either decided that Jaylon can't play or they drafted Vander Esch with the idea that Jaylon would replace Lee in the near future.

They would not use a 1st on a LB if they thought Lee and Jaylon were going to be the WLB and MLB for a few years.

The SLB just does not play enough snaps in the modern pass happy NFL to be a priority.

I suppose there are different ways to view it:
-Hitchens replacement
-Jaylon plan B
-Lee’s longterm successor

When you combine all three notions...a 1st round pick isn’t surprising.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suppose there are different ways to view it:
-Hitchens replacement
-Jaylon plan B
-Lee’s longterm successor

When you combine all three notions...a 1st round pick isn’t surprising.

A Hitchens replacement and Jaylon plan B is the same thing. If Jaylon was awesome last season, he would be the Hitchens replacement.

If Lee was young & healthy and if Jaylon was awesome at MLB last season, then they don't draft a LB in the 1st.

If Jaylon was awesome last season and Lee was himself (old, oft injured) then using a 1st on a LB makes sense.

Let's hope they are making plans to replace Lee because otherwise it means they don't think Jaylon is legit.

gmoney112

Reaction score
So Lee's contract is up after 2019, he's about to turn 32. So 34 year old Sean Lee.

If he's healthy I'd probably give him a deal. Since voidable years are all the rage because you can spread money, I might even do a 3 year deal and make the signing bonus a little more to spread over the life of the contract, smaller contract and only guaranteed Year 1.

I'd be signing him to be depth, probably not on the field for SAM snaps. Just backup Will or Mike i guess, if it was spot duty. I mean, if hes healthy, Lee would probably be the perfect choice here. I'd still trust a 34 year old Lee that had to play Will for a few games, over a lb like Hitchens or something. Especially in the playoffs or something, how great would that be? 35 year old Sean Lee gets the start after injuries, we mill the Eagles bones to dust, on the way to 6.

And he really is like an extra coach. Lee knows the game. He's also going to outwork everyone, so guys will work harder not wanting to get shown up by a 34-35 year old.

Depends on what the market rate is for a 34 year old LB. I'm guessing not too high. I'd probably pay a little more than market and throw in a decent signing bonus. I think thatd be a pretty solid ROI